The Australian Greens - What are they Doing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sarah Hanson Young. From the in infamous parliament session in which she referred the fictional TV series ‘Sea Patrol’ as a documentary

No media except The Australian has ever mentioned this, which makes me think it didn't happen or if it did she misspoke and Da Right are clinging to it as some "GOTCHAÀAAAAA!" moment.

No media except The Australian has ever mentioned this, which makes me think it didn't happen or if it did she misspoke and Da Right are clinging to it as some "GOTCHAÀAAAAA!" moment.

A side note on this (and zero to do with SHY and anything she said)

One of my mates used to be one of the script writers on Sea Patrol, and the navy had a big influence on the product. They thought it was their chance to do what JAG did in the USA, and effectively be a one hour promotion for navy recruitment. Esp when they introduced the Armidale class in series 2, they got a lot of guidance on how to push the awesome tech and new toys the RAN had.

And yes, my mate acknowledges the scripts were slightly cheddarish :p

A side note on this (and zero to do with SHY and anything she said)

One of my mates used to be one of the script writers on Sea Patrol, and the navy had a big influence on the product. They thought it was their chance to do what JAG did in the USA, and effectively be a one hour promotion for navy recruitment. Esp when they introduced the Armidale class in series 2, they got a lot of guidance on how to push the awesome tech and new toys the RAN had.

And yes, my mate acknowledges the scripts were slightly cheddarish :p

It was a crap show. Being filmed on their boats, the ADF would've nixed any interesting (adult) stories.

Last edited:
It was a crap show. Being filmed on their boats, the ADF would've nixed anything interesting (adult) stories.

Pretty much, they just wanted a 45 min ad about how everything was awesome

NSW Greens propose $1 metro fares to 'revolutionise' public transport system
The Greens estimate their "$1 fares for everyone" policy would cost $750 million per year, and say it would be largely offset by increased patronage on the public transport system and by relocating funds from the state's roads budget. Greens MP for Newtown Jenny Leong said the "ambitious plan" would "transform our cities and revolutionise our transport system".

"Instead of putting money into private toll roads and seeing billions spent on roads, we want to change the focus and put public transport back at the heart of solutions for how people get around this city," Ms Leong said.

They say the scheme would be funded by siphoning $200 million from the budgeted capital expenditure on roads, reallocating at least $200 million from Labor's proposed M4 cashback scheme, and increasing the carparking levy by $100 million.

The Greens say an increase in patronage due to cheaper fares would bring in a further $112 million.

The Greens estimate their "$1 fares for everyone" policy would cost $750 million per year, and say it would be largely offset by increased patronage on the public transport system and by relocating funds from the state's roads budget. Greens MP for Newtown Jenny Leong said the "ambitious plan" would "transform our cities and revolutionise our transport system".

"Instead of putting money into private toll roads and seeing billions spent on roads, we want to change the focus and put public transport back at the heart of solutions for how people get around this city," Ms Leong said.

They say the scheme would be funded by siphoning $200 million from the budgeted capital expenditure on roads, reallocating at least $200 million from Labor's proposed M4 cashback scheme, and increasing the carparking levy by $100 million.

The Greens say an increase in patronage due to cheaper fares would bring in a further $112 million.
how do they plan to then fund the maintenance and repaurs from lost revenue

how do they plan to then fund the maintenance and repaurs from lost revenue

What happens after they have used up the reallocated $200 + $200 million in year one? That has to be covered off every year.
The transport system fares are reasonable now, with the system overcrowded at peak times as it is.

A more responsible policy would be to leave the fares where they are and scrap the $200 million toll rebate.

I see Burnside got Savaged by Jane Hume on Sky. Well done, The Greens, just - well done. lol.

She clearly thought that it was a documentary style series and looked quite embarrassed when she was called out.
Unfortunately goes to show the lack of research some of these politicians do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of soul searching, but can they do anything about it, the environmentalists versus the looney left:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03...ems-negative-media-for-election-loss/10950124

The Greens have enjoyed most success when Labor is under pressure over progressive issues such as asylum seekers and the environment.
The report noted that the Andrews brand was strong, and the Greens' attacks failed to stick.

Attempts to paint the Liberals and Labor as peas in a pod also failed because the argument lacked nuance.

"We did not present compelling enough reasons for why one would vote Greens when one could vote for a progressive Labor government, even despite our strong policy platform," he said.

So was it the ABC that let them down, i.e the negative media referred to.

Last edited:
Bit of soul searching, but can they do anything about it, the environmentalists versus the looney left:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03...ems-negative-media-for-election-loss/10950124

The Greens have enjoyed most success when Labor is under pressure over progressive issues such as asylum seekers and the environment.
The report noted that the Andrews brand was strong, and the Greens' attacks failed to stick.

Attempts to paint the Liberals and Labor as peas in a pod also failed because the argument lacked nuance.
"We did not present compelling enough reasons for why one would vote Greens when one could vote for a progressive Labor government, even despite our strong policy platform," he said.
Weird that a huge problem doesn't seem to get a mention at all - vetting your candidates prior to nomination.
The Angus McAlpine saga was a disaster.

There are still problems at a national level too - ask any greens member outside of NSW what they think of Lee Rhiannon.

I'm quitting the divided Greens, the planet needs consensus politics
I have made the decision to leave the NSW Greens and sit as an independent member of Parliament in the NSW upper house. It has not been an easy decision and I leave the Greens with a mix of sadness and optimism. I’m not trying to start a new party and I won’t be attacking the Greens. I leave knowing many good people are trying to salvage the promise of a party that can genuinely do politics differently.
I wish them well in those efforts but I won’t be there. I want to use the next four years to work on the issues, not internal reform.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...needs-consensus-politics-20190404-p51atc.html

I'm quitting the divided Greens, the planet needs consensus politics
I have made the decision to leave the NSW Greens and sit as an independent member of Parliament in the NSW upper house. It has not been an easy decision and I leave the Greens with a mix of sadness and optimism. I’m not trying to start a new party and I won’t be attacking the Greens. I leave knowing many good people are trying to salvage the promise of a party that can genuinely do politics differently.
I wish them well in those efforts but I won’t be there. I want to use the next four years to work on the issues, not internal reform.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...needs-consensus-politics-20190404-p51atc.html
Yup it's a pity the looney left/communists invaded the greens they could have help achieved greater emissions drops

NSW still has a distance/transport type charging system. The would be better to move to a Melbourne time fee system, to increase use.

In the future though?
There was a big dispute within the NSW Greens about the order of the upper house ticket for this election. The reasons are a bit complicated and legalistic, but the outcome was that Abigail Boyd got the #2 slot ahead of Dawn Walker after the case went all the way to the Supreme Court. Walker got dumped out of parliament and a lot of Greens were very unhappy.

I would bet dollars to doughnuts that Walker has effectively been promised the #2 position next time around to keep factional peace, which leaves Justin Field out in the cold (Greens won't elect 3 MLCs and Cate Fahermann is a clear #1).

If he knows he's not getting the endorsement, leaving now makes a lot of sense - gives him time to build his own brand. Who knows, he might even end up being asked to lead the ticket for a party like Animal Justice.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back