Player Watch Chris Mayne (Retired 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Main thing, get well.
Doesn’t sound pretty.
Just some rest, good care, and he’ll be back in no time.

Poor bugger, really feel for him copping that in his milestone game. Rest up and get it right Mayney, if he misses footy I think he'll be straight back in regardless

He may not have pissed blood though. I was just speculating. Just the position of Wallace's knee is right where the left kidney is.
If you do a kidney, you generally piss blood straight away, and that is immediate hospital.

I think a kidney injury is less likely. The trainer/physio was doing hip quadrant there in the video, so that’s suggestive of a hip or pelvic injury rather than back/rib/kidney. Furthermore, you don’t do quadrant when the issue is something really apparent, it’s more of a “let’s jam it right up and see if we can recreate your pain” scenario, you do it when you’re hunting around for a problem.

Best case scenario is a nasty hip pointer.

Last edited:
I think a kidney injury is less likely. The trainer/physio was doing hip quadrant there in the video, so that’s suggestive of a hip or pelvic injury rather than back/rib/kidney. Furthermore, you don’t do quadrant when the issue is something really apparent, it’s more of a “let’s jam it right up and see if we can recreate your pain” scenario, you do it when you’re hunting around for a problem.

Best case scenario is a nasty hip pointer.

Do you go to hospital for a hip pointer?

I really don’t see a hip fracture or pelvic fracture as likely. They’re big, strong bones in a solid, healthy male in his prime. Plenty of soft tissue around them too. Stranger things have happened but I’d be very surprised.

Rib fractures would certainly be possible, although on their own would probably not be enough to warrant sending him to hospital... the treatment is simply analgesia.

Rib fractures combined with some sort of internal injury would be the primary concern, so kidneys would definitely be something to consider/rule out.

A fractured transverse process of the lumbar spine is another minor possibility.

From the Pies website, quoting Buck’s presser:

Mayne, playing in his 200th match, was forced from the game after just five minutes having copped a knee to his back from Mitch Wallis after dropping a regulation chest mark.
The utility looked in pain before heading from the field, stretching for a number of minutes with club medics before eventually heading to the changerooms and not returning.
He is likely to head to hospital on Friday night to undergo scans, with the club unsure over whether he suffered any internal damage as a result of the brutal collision.
"He copped a knee in the back," Buckley said.
"He's still pretty ginger and really sore. We won't know exactly whether there's any structural damage or internal damage … he's cleared a few tests if he's still here, but there's a likelihood that he'll get to hospital to make sure that we cover a few bases."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thought of a knee being driven into ones lower back makes me feel ill.

Mayne is going to be one very sore boy for a while you'd think.

All the best to him.

Looks like you may have been on the money re: the possibility of a lumbar fracture :( The Royal Sampler

Obviously there’s no way of knowing for certain without seeing the scans, but you mentioned it before - you say that it’s more likely to have been the transverse process that has been fractured compared to the other components of the vertebra?

Edit: That was meant to be a reply, whoops

Last edited:
Looks like you may have been on the money re: the possibility of a lumbar fracture :( The Royal Sampler

Obviously there’s no way of knowing for certain without seeing the scans, but you mentioned it before - you say that it’s more likely to have been the transverse process that has been fractured compared to the other components of the vertebra?

Edit: That was meant to be a reply, whoops
Yes mate I’d say the transverse process or spinous processes are the more susceptible, and the transverse the most likely given the mechanism of injury.

He’ll be out for a few weeks, somewhere in the 3-4 range at a guess, if that’s the case. Pain tolerance issue, no surgery required, no long term effects of note.

Derek Carr of the Oakland Raiders had such an injury last season, for any NFL fans out there.

All of this with a grain of salt of course until we hear something specific out of the club.

Yes mate I’d say the transverse process or
Tom Browne is running with this one

Image for those like me, who don't know which bone it is:

15032_02X.jpg

It’s a fractured spine, no doubt about it, but the spinal canal and spinal cord are completely shielded from any damage.

The transverse process is an anchor point for muscles, so he’ll be very sore and stiff for a while until it heals up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back