Autopsy Derby 49: Too much weights, not enough speed work. - Rd 4, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Good performance ruined by disastrous skills. Really like the games of Mundy and Tabs and I reckon Brayshaw is building into the season nicely. Losing Hamling hurt. Thought the group did a great job putting WC off their game after the first quarter. Obviously a really great spirit around the lads to stand up so well without Fyfe.

In saying all that I'm still worried. Some might argue we're close but our skills aren't going to improve without enormous effort which (so far at least) we don't seem to be willing to put in. Skills aren't just something you can easily add on-top imo. I'll be mighty disappointed if we come out of this rebuild with exactly the same problems that contributed to us sinking into it.

Completely shat the bed in the first quarter and it cost us.

View attachment 654062

Pretty much. We looked scared of them early and had no composure at all. The rest of the game we were the better team but butchered it as usual, couldn’t score as usual and 4 points goes begging.
Mundy stood up like a champion.

What to make of that? What we're trying to do can clearly work; some of the ball movement was great in patches - but the good work is completely undone by bad goalkicking and shitty decision making. We also look inexplicably cooked when the ball goes to ground. Mundy immense, McCarthy, Walters, Brayshaw, Cerra (after an ordinary start), Lobb (ditto) all serviceable.

Structure is where Ross does deserve an absolute bollocking; Hogan in the goalsquare and Tabs at high CHF is clearly the best set-up for us, but we didn't settle on that until it was far too late.

I'm done with Wilson - backline needed a cool head and some greater leadership when Hamling went down and he was nowhere to be seen. Peel next week please.

I thought we were good. Lots to like. It’s the kind of season I was at least hoping for – showing enough to feel like we’re progressing with a young list.

Last edited:
1. I thought Hogan showed signs of getting back to his authoritative best and his attack on the ball was amazing.
2. We ran the game out okay which was good; I thought we would crumble endurance wise in the third quarter.
3. I like what Switkowski does; gets to a lot of contests, tackles and was dangerous although he can clearly be.
4. McCarthy and Taberner still getting on the scoreboard. McCarthy was a bit in and out and Taberner did some kicks that were awful but they weren't the worst.
5. Mundy put in a huge effort at the end, as did A. Pearce and Walters I thought.
6. Five-star effort one-star skill level (FEOSL) medals go to:
-Andy Brayshaw;
-Reece Conca; and
-Ed Langdon.

I'm done with Wilson - backline needed a cool head and some greater leadership when Hamling went down and he was nowhere to be seen. Peel next week please.

So much this.

He’s too loose on his man and he’s soft as butter and his second efforts are non-existent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ill take that
Mundy is possibly in the top 3 dockers ever, definitely top 5 IMHO love the guy
Conca,Hughes and Im sorry but Tabs lack the class to be premiership players,best part is we have ready replacements when fit
Tabs as good as he was tonight, but flag winners kick those goals and take those clutch marks on the attack under pressure when they have to
onwards and upwards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And as a final petty positive; their full strength side basically struggled to put away what's essentially our reserves while we played like absolute dross.

Flag or not, they're still a mob of downhill skiers; better sides should be able to skewer them if they don't let them play the game on their terms.

also lol @ complaints about umpiring from some of the Eagles fans “Freo fans should never complain about umpiring again.”

Apparently one game makes up for 15 years of them having by far the most frees...

I was almost certain the Eagles would be a bit flat for this after last week and we could jump them , that was miles off unfortunately. We were always going to out up a fight in those conditions that really were made for the team we had in.

All I expect as a fan is to see the boys fight hard so I was happy with that but I wouldn't read too much into it as far as bridging the gap between the 2 sides

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back