Analysis The No-Sacking, No-Cussing, How-Can-We-Improve Thread 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

If anything, the early losses have allowed us to see clearer the weaknesses in our team structure/personnel/form. There is no easy answer and I think the situation is part lack in personnel and confidence in each other. 2 glaring zones that are in need of a major shift:

1. Defense: losing Brown and Doedee has screwed us in the speed department down back and the crucial attacking flare as well. Laird being tagged hard and/or out of form also is making the defense currently seem very one dimensional.

2. Forward: losing McGovern has instantly made us a less scary proposition when the ball is going high in attack. We do not have any pack crashers at the moment and we need to put one in for overall balance in ground and air players. We’ve focused too much on getting speed up in attack for defensive pressure in Murphy and Jones, but with the loss of marking power.

The down in form in several zones has set off a domino effect in basically the entire team. Examples:
- mids are working harder and probably more frustrated with the kick-in set plays, especially when the kicks are going astray often!
- mids are losing confidence in bombing it long and high up in attack, and are forced to doing more of the chip kicks and creating more likely turnovers.

It almost feels to me like it’s becoming a vicious cycle trend: players making errors, players being fearful of errors, players making more errors etc.

Greenwood, Fogarty, Gallucci needs to come in. I don’t care where, we need to inject more natural footy smarts in the team! We can play them in several positions:
Greenwood - mid/forward
Fogarty - defense/forward (swingman)
Gallucci - mid/utility

Berg, Davis, Scholl, Ned all deserve chances soon if their AFL counterparts aren’t changing form pronto.

Seriously it’s not funny. You’ve been asked not to do this in here. Take your trolling elsewhere.
It's not trolling. It's a statement of fact.

You never start a thread by defining what you can and can't say.

You cant ask how we can improve and limit the responses

I think the main issue we are too structured and well coached. And Pyke has misread how the game is to be played under 666.

Pyke is a good coach. He has our team playing his method. But his method is wrong.

I am hoping he can now see this and allow more chaos ball. Look.at how the Suns beat Carlton yesterday. The last ten minutes that is what we needed to do. Through our preferred ball movement out the window as North had blocked our predictable avenue to goal up. That is why our inside 50 count was so low.

We just needed to attack the goal mouth with every possession in that last ten minutes.

Pyke needs.to acknowledge this style of play is required more often than not and allow on field leaders to flick the switch when the structured plan is failing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

re evaluate the list

Attempt to play as many as you can this year and make some tough list decisions at years end, don't be concerned at a 16th or 17th finish by doing this

Then next year see what we need to rebuild the list

Positional.changes I would make.

Eddie. He should not be a forward target. I would have him as part.of the midfield rotation as a defensive mid and then drift forward for rests. Not more attempts at high marks, he rarely takes them. He actually kicks more goals when playing up the ground more.

Murphy to half back/back pocket. He is a natural back there IMO. His goal sense is limited but a great tackler. Also as part of this drop Kelly.

Harto out. Keath secondary FB.
Scholl in the Doedee role. A great role for a kid to learn the game. Right now we dont have the luxury of him playing SANFL as we did Doedee when we had Lever.

Jenkins out. Sauce in. Yes Sauce in with ROB. Sauce is a decent key forward IMO. Would offer more than Jenkins right now up forward. ROB primary Ruck.

Bring in Stengle. We need another natural goal scorer. He is that.

Bring in Fog. And play him up forward.

It's not trolling. It's a statement of fact.

You never start a thread by defining what you can and can't say.

You cant ask how we can improve and limit the responses
Who says you can't define the type of conversation you would like in a thread? We have NO OPPOSITION threads. Just show some damned respect.

I don't need to. Just show some maturity and respect.
I did. I respectfully submitted coaches need to be sacked.

This is the problem with our club. Too many people have no go areas.
1. Cant talk about Boys Club
2. Cant talk about coaches that are just not good enough.
3. Cant talk about a Chairman that is a banker
4. Cant talk about the cancer that is infecting our club

Happy days tra la la

I cant wait for the club to send out the after game survey this week.

Happy days tra la la

Yet you think the list is unbelievably good and we are the superstars of drafting the best

Happy days tra la la

a) Who has said you can't talk about any of those things? b) This post specifically asked for those things NOT to be mentioned in here as there are many other threads where you are already discussing them. (Read: just about every other thread). It's not too much to ask.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a) Who has said you can't talk about any of those things? b) This post specifically asked for those things NOT to be mentioned in here as there are many other threads where you are already discussing them. (Read: just about every other thread). It's not too much to ask.
Then why start a thread discussing what is in many other threads? I wanted to start a thread discussing the direction of our list. I tagged it into an appropriate thread.

Anyway Game of Thrones doesnt start for another hour so i have time to play

I don't understand why drop Gibbs but give a gold pass to others. Coach get angry and drop see high profilers. Hardigan form is rubbish. Jenkins is struggling. Walker is at best a little better than Jenkins. I dare say SANFL sides wouldnt wait this long to make changes ... Listening to like after game I think we can expect more of the same.

Happy days tra la la

Every thread on this board covers those topics.

This one is about improving under the current regime.

Which let's be honest is probably the most likely way we will/may improve.

Pyke wont be sacked this year.

After the weekends performance, I actually have no idea on how we improve! I'm genuinely concerned that we no longer have that gear that puts us in contention to beat top 8 teams and or even top 12 teams.

We looked limp out of defense, useless in the ruck, horrible with ball in hand, weak in the contest, snail slow all over the ground, and utterly lame up forward (with the exception of a good first half from Eddie).

We lost on every line, and only bad kicking from North kept it civil. But in reality if we played anyone half decent on Saturday night, we would have lost that game by 15 goals!

I don't tip, but if I were tipping, I don't know if I could even tip us against GC this weekend!

Congratulations AFC, you finally broke me!

Also - How much are we missing Brown and Doedee ???
Yeah it's immeasurable.
Id add Cheney to those two; why we got rid of him still keeps me awake at night. He must have felt gutted when he was cut, I know I did.
And a few campaigners on this board used the argument he was too short; they are not arguing now.

I was at the Geelong game and the body language of the players suggests a serious lack of confidence or disinterest. Slow decision making has killed us this year and I think that’s a result of this. I could be wrong but it seems to me the game plan is too rigid and it’s preventing players from playing their natural game. We have got some serious talent on our list and it’s not being utilised. For example, a few times this year I’ve seen Milera take an intercepting mark at half back and rather than play on and burn players through the middle of the ground, allowing us to expose a vulnerable defence he’s stopped and kicked the ball sideways. Keep the structures and game plan but give the players some freedom to play their game.

Then why start a thread discussing what is in many other threads? I wanted to start a thread discussing the direction of our list. I tagged it into an appropriate thread.

Anyway Game of Thrones doesnt start for another hour so i have time to play
Because some of us get sick of the neanderthal cries to sack everyone rah rah rah chest beating?

Yeah it's immeasurable.
Id add Cheney to those two; why we got rid of him still keeps me awake at night. He must have felt gutted when he was cut, I know I did.
And a few campaigners on this board used the argument he was too short; they are not arguing now.
I would think the main reason Cheney was cut was way more down to him being unable to consistently get on the field with his history of hamstring issues in the last 2 - 3 years making him unavailable for selection on a regular basis..

Jones to a wing, if passed fit.

Chayce played on the wing against the Kangas until he was smacked on the head. Can we afford to play any of our good KIDS on the wing and subject them to the Curse of Mackay?

I agree that we need to drop Kelly and Hartigan, not that it is likely to improve the team but it will reduce my need for blood pressure medication. I would also swap Himmelberg for Jenkins for the same reason.

Fortunately THE MIGHTY THOR will return and everyone will finally agree with me that he is our key to success.

I would think the main reason Cheney was cut was way more down to him being unable to consistently get on the field with his history of hamstring issues in the last 2 - 3 years making him unavailable for selection on a regular basis..
Agreed nothing at all exciting about the team at the moment. Give some others ago ... Club needs to think long term. If they keep the same player in each week then move them around. Club too scared to make changes and playing it safe to avoid negative press. CEY is an ok player but not the future. Neither of otten.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back