Analysis The No-Sacking, No-Cussing, How-Can-We-Improve Thread 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

There is opportunity to blood the youth now, lets get14 to 15+ games into some of the kids, lets not worry about how high we finish due to the pick swap, blooding youth may actually push us up the ladder. I think even the most optimistic supporters can realise this year is gone but it doesn't have to be wasted
Things can change quickly in this game

the coaching panel need to swallow some pride and take the shackles off regarding the game plan, take the game on.

I've noticed an alarming number of 10-15 metre kicks by our players this year. It results in glacially slow forward movement and puts us under pressure when the umpires inevitably call "play-on, not fifteen". I suspect this is a result of the tinkering with the game plan that occured in anticipation of the new rules or perhaps just in the name of progress. I hope that the coaches revisit this plan soon as its terrible. It's no wonder the forwards are performing so poorly when the ball takes so long to get to them and the opposition have all the time in the world to set up.

Yeah it's immeasurable.
Id add Cheney to those two; why we got rid of him still keeps me awake at night. He must have felt gutted when he was cut, I know I did.
And a few campaigners on this board used the argument he was too short; they are not arguing now.
He was too injured, that's why he was delisted.

I'm fully supportive of us delisting him.

The gameplan needs a serious rework and it's now pretty obvious we haven't adapted to the 6-6-6 changes.

We have gone from the most exciting game style in 2017 to the absolute rubbish we've served up this year. Too often we labour for a goal just for the opposition gets a quick goal from the next centre clearance. Mentally we look shot.

All I can think of is that we have some coaching talent on the AFLW side (McLeod, Caven, Narelle Smith etc) who could help to look over things and change things up.

Smithers used to be our best kick... has that changed since the knee? What’s the point in changing who does the kick in, when they kick it to the same place every time? Doesn’t make sense.
They brought in new rule to help to get into attack much quicker we still pass onto back pocket most time.
Surely it should be easy to open up for drive out long kick with set area clearance plays.
Jenny where you been and how do you believe turn around,
As on holidays in SE Queensland near our game against Brisbane I am going and no way do I want to have to sneak out of there losing.

The one time we drove the ball down the guts from the kick out Smith hit a target.

So there you go.

We're suffering from what every team has when they've gone from a super fast risky game plan to trying to play a slower controlled one. That transition simply doesn't work that way and it completely *s up a squad. You can always go from slow to fast with a developed gameplan. You cannot go from fast to slow.

The answer to how we improve - outside sacking coaches (which admittedly is the best thing we can do in the mid term) is pace, pace, pace and more pace. The slower a side is, the more vulnerable they are to pressure. Too slow and a side will slaughter you no matter the quality in your midfield line, and no matter how hard you work. We saw a prime example of this against North, that was a ******* slow midfield line and it got slaughtered.

That said, we're at the point that it is time to start blooding the new brigade. I'd be converting Milera to a full time in/out midfielder now as an example, his skill set is wasted on the half back line, and we need that spark plug in the midfield desperately. Another thing I'd be doing is selecting Gallucci this week, and giving him a lot more midfield minutes. Hell once he's back, I'd be throwing Chayce some midfield minutes to get him used to it. With Milera, it's probably time we consider moving Gibbs out of the midfield and onto the half back line, he's 30, near 300 games so the body may have just started to slow down - half back will keep him going for longer.

I'd also sack Pyke outright if Mackay spends more then 5 minutes on ball. He was there was way too much against North, and calling that a brain dead decision is a compliment.

I'd also * Jenkins off and get Himmelberg in for a few weeks. JJ is in some atrocious form right now.

Last edited:
He was too injured, that's why he was delisted.

I'm fully supportive of us delisting him.

Likewise. He was injury prone depth who was beginning to be on the wrong side of 30, and had no path in the side bar injuries.

I can't say I care that much he got delisted. You can't hold onto someone because of a what if, especially if we preferred Kelly to be that depth.

I would think the main reason Cheney was cut was way more down to him being unable to consistently get on the field with his history of hamstring issues in the last 2 - 3 years making him unavailable for selection on a regular basis..
Yeah there is an fair difference in recovery (even for training) between an AFL club and Hahndorf.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We're suffering from what every team has when they've gone from a super fast risky game plan to trying to play a slower controlled one. That transition simply doesn't work that way and it completely ****s up a squad. You can always go from slow to fast with a developed gameplan. You cannot go from fast to slow.

The answer to how we improve - outside sacking coaches (which admittedly is the best thing we can do in the mid term) is pace, pace, pace and more pace. The slower a side is, the more vulnerable they are to pressure. Too slow and a side will slaughter you no matter the quality in your midfield line, and no matter how hard you work. We saw a prime example of this against North, that was a ******* slow midfield line and it got slaughtered.

That said, we're at the point that it is time to start blooding the new brigade. I'd be converting Milera to a full time in/out midfielder now as an example, his skill set is wasted on the half back line, and we need that spark plug in the midfield desperately. Another thing I'd be doing is selecting Gallucci this week, and giving him a lot more midfield minutes. Hell once he's back, I'd be throwing Chayce some midfield minutes to get him used to it. With Milera, it's probably time we consider moving Gibbs out of the midfield and onto the half back line, he's 30, near 300 games so the body may have just started to slow down - half back will keep him going for longer.

I'd also sack Pyke outright if Mackay spends more then 5 minutes on ball. He was there was way too much against North, and calling that a brain dead decision is a compliment.

I'd also **** Jenkins off and get Himmelberg in for a few weeks. JJ is in some atrocious form right now.
I'm with you. The slow transition out of defense, the slow entries into the forward line, the lateral kicking, the forwards who can't take a contested grab. It all points to a team that's set up to get obliterated by any team who simply puts 1-3 players behind the ball and plays simple frontal pressure on us as we exit the backlines!

We need speedy, aggressive, goal savvy players to cut through the frontal pressure with fast line breaking handball and run, and then add pressure to the opposition where it hurts... On the freaken scoreboard.

I think Tex could actually be playing great footy if our ball movement wasn't so putrid. But the poor bloke hasn't stood a chance!

JJ on the other hand is playing as badly as i've ever seen a guy play! Get him the hell out NOW!

I'm with you. The slow transition out of defense, the slow entries into the forward line, the lateral kicking, the forwards who can't take a contested grab. It all points to a team that's set up to get obliterated by any team who simply puts 1-3 players behind the ball and plays simple frontal pressure on us as we exit the backlines!

We need speedy, aggressive, goal savvy players to cut through the frontal pressure with fast line breaking handball and run, and then add pressure to the opposition where it hurts... On the freaken scoreboard.

I think Tex could actually be playing great footy if our ball movement wasn't so putrid. But the poor bloke hasn't stood a chance!

JJ on the other hand is playing as badly as i've ever seen a guy play! Get him the hell out NOW!

Emulating the Hawthorn 3-peat has been a trap for every side that has tried to do it, for good reason. The easiest way to improve is just by playing faster, riskier football because it breaks defences down, and really even with good contested marks, that option has always been a low % choice. The moment you go slow, you begin to show any deficiencies your side has in ball movements as it relies on everything being perfect.

The scoreboard is going to be a mess all season. The joys of thinking that the forward line can coach themselves with an absolute dud like Hart in charge.

I agree with Tex, he seems to be moving well, but the style just isn't suited to him at all right now. Likewise with JJ who doesn't have the football smarts to even survive in this. Even Lynch has been rather ineffective outside of his customary good game against Geelong, though probably closer to Tex, then Jenkins in that regard in that it's game style which is suffocating him.

FWDS: Jenkins is just mentally shot, play him in the 2s. Tex is getting there and is starting to lead AT the footy again, just needs some better service. Mids are butchering it tbh. Eddie's getting more inconsistent with age and we should play his understudy (Stengle) alongside him imo. Lastly (and most simply) our goal kicking has been horrific, we average the most behinds in the AFL and the least goals. Not to state the obvious, but clearly this is symptomatic of a team confidence issue and lack of i50 marks (Jenkins, Tex and Eddie all top20 in '17).

MIDS: Probably over disposing a bit (see handball numbers for our main mids), our team disposal numbers are high yet we have low I50s. Again indicates indecision/confidence problems. Clearance numbers poor but so are hitouts, usage i50 bad (Crouchs, Gibbs). ROB is still adjusting to AFL so he's excused. Jacobs is all but cooked. Not sure of a solution but maybe put Milera or any other decent distributor in there who can take contact. Overall our mids aren't too bad defensively, but lack of leg speed kills us sometimes on transition.

DEF: Looks in disarray. Keath's arial and general defensive work's been impressive but he's a bit of a clanger merchant. Otherwise the rest of our backs seem super indecisive with ball in hand, especilly B Smith with the kickins. He has an elite leg and needs to be reminded of it. He should use the corridor if he can and,like in '17, we should have Laird and co running through to receive the handball from the marker. This opens up Tex etc. If not he should maximise distance instead of treading water in the pocket. That said, it doesn't help that half our backline are shocking users of the footy (SHARTIGAN).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have some already (Milera, Smith, Atkins),but they're playing this stop-start careful careful game atm. It's absolutely putrid to watch. They need to start using their speed and taking the game on. If they screw it up and we get stung out the back too bad. At least they've given it a red hot go. It's amazing how quickly confidence can come back with 1or 2 plays like that ending in goals. That's what I want to see on Sunday.

We're suffering from what every team has when they've gone from a super fast risky game plan to trying to play a slower controlled one. That transition simply doesn't work that way and it completely ****s up a squad. You can always go from slow to fast with a developed gameplan. You cannot go from fast to slow.

I'd also **** Jenkins off and get Himmelberg in for a few weeks. JJ is in some atrocious form right now.
Agree with all of those changes.

As for our slow gameplan, it’s like Don watched Port last year and thought Hinkley was onto something.

Think we need to give all of our players a run in the ruck, just so they can get their hands on it get a bit of confidence. I would like to see first bounce, every player in the circle first bounce, sure, it'll be a free kick against but the oppo will be all..."WTFF? They have thrown the playbook out and they've gone all Mel Gibson Lethal Weapon 1 crazy"

By half time we'll be 20 goals in front and even Clarko will be thinking " why have I never thought of that, Pykey is a genius".

Think we need to give all of our players a run in the ruck, just so they can get their hands on it get a bit of confidence. I would like to see first bounce, every player in the circle first bounce, sure, it'll be a free kick against but the oppo will be all..."WTFF? They have thrown the playbook out and they've gone all Mel Gibson Lethal Weapon 1 crazy"

By half time we'll be 20 goals in front and even Clarko will be thinking " why have I never thought of that, Pykey is a genius".
It wouldn't be a free kick straight away, you get a warning first for the 6-6-6 rule. So they could probably stand there for 20 seconds before anything happened. :drunk::drunk:

This thread is well and good. We can all know what needs to be done but the current coaching group is devoid of any creativity and will not change. If you think there will be any success while Pyke and Campo are in charge of coaching and Roo and Burton are in charge of list management think again. These are the men that signed Jenkins to a 5 year deal. These are the men that gave up 2 first round picks for Bryce Gibbs. Lol. These are the men who signed Walker, Betts and Lynch to ridiculous inflated contracts. These are the men who have wasted numerous first round draft picks over the last 2 years due to their sheer arrogance. These are the men who sat back and allowed our young guns walk out the door. FMD. Keep ignoring the real problem. You will here in 2 years time debating the same inane subject of why we aren't successful while defending the club. Not all but most. These 4 men along with Chapman have completely mismanaged our club since the previous coach sadly departed. What they have done to the club is disgusting. As far as I am concerned they can go and get ****ed.

Last edited:
Agree with all of those changes.

As for our slow gameplan, it’s like Don watched Port last year and thought Hinkley was onto something.

I heard a bit of Campo on my drive home. He said the players went too fast and kicked too long against Hawthorn and he said you just cant play that way in 2019. They've been trying to hang onto the ball and pinpoint team mates as we transition from defence. One of the main reasons is because our forwards press so high we need to wait for them to run back to the forward line to make a contest. In the North game the players went too slow, sideways and conservative. Also North spread better and also defended better.

Maybe the AFL's best practice footy department could conjure up a 2019 game plan and some in game tactics if things aren't going our way.

We should start with all 22 players on the field. Our score will be wiped, but it'd be zero at that point anyway. The opposition would be so confused as to this bizarre and pointless tactic that they'd lose focus and go on to lose the match

I heard a bit of Campo on my drive home. He said the players went too fast and kicked too long against Hawthorn and he said you just cant play that way in 2019. They've been trying to hang onto the ball and pinpoint team mates as we transition from defence. One of the main reasons is because our forwards press so high we need to wait for them to run back to the forward line to make a contest. In the North game the players went too slow, sideways and conservative. Also North spread better and also defended better.

Maybe the AFL's best practice footy department could conjure up a 2019 game plan and some in game tactics if things aren't going our way.
It's a pity we didn't have several months of preseason training to work on this

I reckon we stack the reserves side, and go hard for a SANFL flag.

Would be a bit of fun for the players and would also get the no-AFL-crowd so revved up we get kicked out (freeing us up to play in the VFL or NEAFL).

A bottom six AFL finish will also get us a decent fixture.

This is where we fall down . Its our conservative mindset. It is a cancer

Richmond won (against Port) because they were prepared to lose. They stuck by their playing style no matter what.

Hang on. When a team does that and they end up losing the game; the coach gets accused of having no plan B.

I want us to go back and watch the 4th quarter againt the West Coast Eagles lat years and play on at all cots Just turn and go. Fast break football with run and attack and spread from a contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back