Footy career of a BF poster

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Thought this concept might be interesting. We all come to BF to talk about the game and players, we often (actually always) criticise players for being ‘s**t’ or ‘not up to it’ etc. We for the most part are armchair critics and tall poppies.

So, what was the extent of your football career? Who did you play for? How long did you play? What level did you play? What position did you play? I’ll start it off;

Started playing at 15 for my local side. Wasn’t any good. Couldn’t kick, run that well or have much impact. U/16 was better. Was fitter, played more in the ruck and kicked a few goals forward. U/17 the same, and did much better in the ruck. Once I got to seniors I always got beaten in the forward line. I didn’t know where to run or go. I was dumb.

I then played my last 3 years at CHB. That was good. I got led to the ball, could run and jump and punch. I often outmarked my opponent, and my kicking got better. Very rarely got goals kicked on me. But I was limited, was purely a defensive player, no flair, so overall I was average when better players came along and I got dropped.

My career was meh, I’d say 6/10 at absolute best. I was a B grade campaigner but had fun, sunk cans, stayed fit and loved it. I was a good twos player, but an ok ones player. Played D2 and D3 ammo’s and some Southern League footy.

I’ve played footy once with some other unfit but curious campaigners from my work. We could only muster up nine people total, so on my 4-strong team I got to play about 6 forward and half forward roles at once. I spent most of the time on the goaline with the idea that the further I was from the centre bounce the more unlikely it was that I would get a touch. I was still a smoker at that point so needed some intervals of non-activity. I got a bit bored and wandered upfield at one stage and inadvertently picked up a ground ball. With a four person team there weren’t opportunities to pass the ball or get it moving so I attempted a run and bounce. Or a trot and bounce with some asthmatic wheezing. Bouncing a footy isn’t easy so I decided to stop observing that rule which can be done when you have no umpires. I did kick a point in the second quarter along with an out on the full about 5 minutes later, so I was well pleased. Then I got a bit overconfident and decided I needed to learn to kick off both sides. Off my left the ball flew straight upwards and gave me a blood nose. I decided to observe the blood rule and took my nose and my asthmatic wheezing to a nearby beer garden and never returned to football again. It is a career that overall I’m pretty satisfied with but I have reached the conclusion that Australian Rules Football is actually for watching.

Last edited:
Played from the age of 5 and lucky enough to win 6 premierships in juniors. Those were the days where we kept score, had ladders and played the same sport the seniors did, had no participation awards and only 2 players got a trophy at the end of the year.
Progressed to WAFL colts and did my two years before cricket chose me and I could no longer play both. After playing high level cricket for 8 years returned to play A grade amateur footy for 3-4 years before embarking on coaching footy.
Started coaching the Colts in A grade Amateurs and progressed over a 4 year period to coach the League side which I did for 6 seasons resulting in 2 preliminary final results. Never made it to the big one.
Decided to hand the reigns over once I felt my message was difficult to get through to the young players.
Stayed on as an assistant coach for the next 5 years before taking on the presidency of the club for 6 years.
Was privileged to receive a life membership in both cricket and footy and sport has been a huge part of my life.
Golf is now my sport and gee I wish I took that up much earlier.
Footy was always my first love and I really don’t know how good or bad I was as Cricket took over in my prime.
No regrets though and the mates I have made in both sports I can’t put a value on.

Gave up sunday footy young to play rep basketball, sometimes i regret the decision many years later due to extremely sub standard coaching for that level, ended up a bit of a waste of time, especially the away games that were a long drive.

Before that was pretty good some games if i had some intensity. But i had a pretty placid nature so was average overall, probably an outside mid or frward/back pocket.

First game was in the Under 17s in 1999, recently made senior (combined A-Grade and Reserve Grade) appearance number 246. Usually these days anchor the defence. Representative whose I made the Capricornia Under 16 side in 2000 basically by default, such were the numbers in the region.

Was reserves captain for one year, was also a reluctant playing reserves coach in 2017 (reluctant to play more than anything although it did give me the power to put myself in the middle). Went 3-12 as a coach, and basically wanted someone who didn't work nightshift to take over, such was the time commitment required. Had to win the last game to sneak into the 4, and got pumped by a team with a few senior players dropping back which can happen.

Also been umpiring youth and women's football since 2007. Would have done close to 100 games sometimes starting at 8AM for the Under 13s and finishing in virtual darkness for the women. Yes the sliding rule is ridiculous, but I've had to pay that a few times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still a reserves hero. Only started playing at age 21 after major foot surgery. Umpires more than 100 country games before that and some underage SANFL games.

Would be approaching 100 career games across five clubs in SA and Vic (have moved for work and study a decent bit). Of those only two of those are senior games at my previous club and I was statless in one (actually a lie. One free against and a 50m penalty conceded). That was in a year the side won the flag and despite carrying me won by 100 both games I played.

Getting close to 30 and now content playing ressies in the major league in my area. Spent last year in the back pocket while we got pumped week after week. Hope for better fortune this year

I kick on my left the way most left footers kick on their right
I kick on my right relatively effectively but not with a lot of penetration
No pace, average endurance, average height, good awareness and hand eye coordination

Won a game of footy at school after the siren in about year 8 or 9. That was probably the peak. If I find myself picked up in the 2019 draft as a very mature ager I'll be a one sided poor man's Sam Mitchell.

I never played really. A bit at school at most.
I found myself doing a lot of exercise of various types in my 30's, so gave playing footy a go, in Japan. Had a lot of fun, met a lot of people, made a lot of friends.
Played masters footy for a few years over here too. Same again, met lots of people, made lots of friends, had a lot of fun. Still doing it, or trying.

I generally get rotated between forward and back pockets.

I play a lot like Tony Shaw, except not as tough or inspirational.
Seriously, my skills are good, but I don't read the game and place myself very well.
Also, I'm coaching yr10 B's at my school. No Joke.

EDFL from Under 13s to Under 17s, played in good teams and had a great time, best effort was under 15s and 3rd in the comp B&F, but i just didn't grow. Played wing, half forward and could kick on both left and right foot which was rare in those days. ( But i couldn't handball with my left?) I was a regular at the Margeret st clinic in Moonee Ponds. I got thumped a lot!

Too slow, but a good shirtfront and brutal tackler, good kick for goal but cant judge a mark anymore. Good ruck for 6'3 flew in like lui kang.

Played juniors from 10 on wards. Never won a junior b&f but never finished outside the top 4 at a couple of junior clubs. Think from memory it was only 1 year outside of the top 3. Played in junior TAC rep teams all throughout my juniors.

Just as I started to hit form in seniors I stepped away for a few years. Always had the rep of someone who should be dominating but didn't for several reasons. Then came back to playing a few years later on where I started off in a blaze of glory like I had never stopped. Then stagnated again and got the rep back of never for-filling my perceived potential.

Probably liked to party a bit much. Especially on Friday nights before games

Played one quarter in year 9 in the A's side (school footy). Got 6-7 touches and had 2 handball goal assists. Ran around between midfield and the forward line, played more like inside mid.

Couldn't be bothered going to training so i never played again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back