• Draw

• GWS by 1-24

• GWS by 25-49

• GWS by 50+

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
COR or Melican, then McCartin to the forward line.

How has Melican been going in the twos? I'm hoping he 's found some form because we need the 2017 version of him in the team.

McCartin shows flashes of real quality. I think he'll be a gun payer for us. If our season tanks then I'd love to see him get regular minutes for us.

How has Melican been going in the twos? I'm hoping he 's found some form because we need the 2017 version of him in the team.

McCartin shows flashes of real quality. I think he'll be a gun payer for us. If our season tanks then I'd love to see him get regular minutes for us.

Melican has been OK in the twos. Looked a little off the boil at times, then other times looked a class above the NEAFL level. Ordinarily he wouldn’t justify selection, but Horse has set the precedent that lack of form doesn’t dictate your chances at senior selection (Reid, Jack, even McInerney.)

The way I see it, Melican might be ordinary if we play him, and might still be out of sorts. But up the other end is Reid who has been blatantly ordinary. If Reid’s given a pass, why not Melican?

Melican has been OK in the twos. Looked a little off the boil at times, then other times looked a class above the NEAFL level. Ordinarily he wouldn’t justify selection, but Horse has set the precedent that lack of form doesn’t dictate your chances at senior selection (Reid, Jack, even McInerney.)

The way I see it, Melican might be ordinary if we play him, and might still be out of sorts. But up the other end is Reid who has been blatantly ordinary. If Reid’s given a pass, why not Melican?
Just read Horse's comments and sounds like Melican is a chance to combat the Giants' talls. I don't think he'll drop Reid. Yes, Reid has been ordinary but we don't have a lot of forward weapons right now.

Just read Horse's comments and sounds like Melican is a chance to combat the Giants' talls. I don't think he'll drop Reid. Yes, Reid has been ordinary but we don't have a lot of forward weapons right now.

No we don't. Because Horse is playing one of them in defence while an actual key defender is in exile in the NEAFL.

No we don't. Because Horse is playing one of them in defence while an actual key defender is in exile in the NEAFL.
A couple of weeks out is hardly exile. You keep on using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. (10 points if you get the reference)

Melican needed a spell. He was struggling.

A couple of weeks out is hardly exile. You keep on using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. (10 points if you get the reference)

Melican needed a spell. He was struggling.

They will back Reid in when he is struggling, but they won't back Melican in.

They will back Reid in when he is struggling, but they won't back Melican in.
Fair comment. Reid has a few more brownie points in the bank though I know you don't rate him.

It's the intricacy of people management. Some need to be dropped to the twos to find form and confidence. Some need to battle through it at the top level. Some respond to a spray while others wither.

I would not select Melican going on last week's NEAFL game.

I would not select Melican going on last week's NEAFL game.

Like I said, ordinarily, no you wouldn't.

But Horse has set the precedent this year where if he wants someone in the team, he'll get them in the team regardless of whether their form warrants it. Reid walked in despite missing a whole season. Jack wasn't exactly convincing in the NEAFL but only needed the two games to be brought back in. McInerney was far from our best in the reserves, but was given a debut.

It's not practical to have McCartin playing down back just because Melican is out of form. We're getting nowhere. We just have to pull the trigger on Melican and hope he comes good. No point dragging McCartin down with him.

Like I said, ordinarily, no you wouldn't.

But Horse has set the precedent this year where if he wants someone in the team, he'll get them in the team regardless of whether their form warrants it. Reid walked in despite missing a whole season. Jack wasn't exactly convincing in the NEAFL but only needed the two games to be brought back in. McInerney was far from our best in the reserves, but was given a debut.

It's not practical to have McCartin playing down back just because Melican is out of form. We're getting nowhere. We just have to pull the trigger on Melican and hope he comes good. No point dragging McCartin down with him.

Horse is not picking them because they're out of form. You look at the matchups you need and you play the best player for that position. Form is a very fickle thing.

Horse is not picking them because they're out of form. You look at the matchups you need and you play the best player for that position. Form is a very fickle thing.

No but he's picking them because he wants them in the team for whatever benefits they bring. In Reid's case it's marking power (lololololol). In Jack's case it was experience. In McInerney's case it was outside run. These benefits were obviously enough for Horse to ignore the fact that none probably warranted selection by normal standards.

But I see just as many benefits, if not more, of Melican playing. Starting with a) we need more help to combat GWS' forward line. And b) free up McCartin to the forward line so we can maybe have some targets inside 50 for once. And c) stop stuffing around with Tommy's development just because one of the other options hasn't been firing.

Why does Tom need to become a key forward?

Grundy was drafted as a forward and found his way in defence.

Since Toms junior football does not suggest he is coming from a background of being a dominant goal kicking key forward, I don’t really see what the fuss is about to be honest. It’s not like we are hiding the next coming of Lockett in defence...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does Tom need to become a key forward?

Grundy was drafted as a forward and found his way in defence.

Since Toms junior football does not suggest he is coming from a background of being a dominant goal kicking key forward, I don’t really see what the fuss is about to be honest. It’s not like we are hiding the next coming of Lockett in defence...

Uh because it's where he played there last year and in his draft year, a position that lends itself to his strengths as a competitive and strong tall player whose a good contested mark. How is he gonna do that manning the opposition's key forwards every week? Unless he becomes the loose, intercepting type, but don't we have Aliir for that?

No matter how you slice it it's a bad move IMO.

Also have no problem with McCartin in defense. He looks totally made for it tbh. Get as many games as they can into him back there.
Seems like Melican comes in, but doesn't fill me with much confidence given his form this year. Lost any spring since injury.

They need to be all over Coniglio at every stoppage - telling him how good it is to play for the Swans and live in the Eastern Suburbs. Invite him for beers,offer their sisters. Anything.

If we do lose this week I really want to see Tiger II mode and McInerney, Stoddart given 8-10 games and Rowbottom and Blakey at least that from here.

Uh because it's where he played there last year and in his draft year, a position that lends itself to his strengths as a competitive and strong tall player whose a good contested mark. How is he gonna do that manning the opposition's key forwards every week? Unless he becomes the loose, intercepting type, but don't we have Aliir for that?

No matter how you slice it it's a bad move IMO.

Competitive and strong tall players that are strong contested marks also play in defence (see Grundy).

Not interested in where he played as a junior, particularly given as a forward he kicked 9.18 and has shown similar concerns with goal kicking at the Swans. Does his goal kicking come into calculations as a key forward? I would have thought you’d want a young key forward to be a good shot at goal too...

He played forward last year because that is what we needed at the time.

Again I don’t really see the issue with him playing in defence / becoming an AFL level key defender. He has all the attributes to become a successful one at AFL level imo.

Agree to disagree...

You guys are being pretty negative. You’re at home against a team who just lost. Game they should’ve won.
I doubt Davis will play. I actually think Keeffe might come in to replace him instead of Corr (corr needs a few more kms).
Anyway, all the best.
Lets hope it's an injury free games, with no reports and no-one can remember who the umpires were!

Cheers :thumbsu:

Competitive and strong tall players that are strong contested marks also play in defence (see Grundy).

Not interested in where he played as a junior, particularly given as a forward he kicked 9.18 and has shown similar concerns with goal kicking at the Swans. Does his goal kicking come into calculations as a key forward? I would have thought you’d want a young key forward to be a good shot at goal too...

He played forward last year because that is what we needed at the time.

Again I don’t really see the issue with him playing in defence / becoming an AFL level key defender. He has all the attributes to become a successful one at AFL level imo.

Agree to disagree...

I think he has more attributes suited to becoming a successful AFL level key forward, so indeed we will have to agree to disagree.

Punchable Greene is back though, isn't he?
So I've heard... I have a feeling we have played them a few times when Greene is returning from injury/suspension and he has a really good game each time. I might be wrong, but I wouldn't mind seeing the stats on that...

Anyway, now he's no longer allowed to kick people in the head and stomach, I'll be interested to see how he goes. Regardless of past misdeeds, he's a gun!

So I've heard... I have a feeling we have played them a few times when Greene is returning from injury/suspension and he has a really good game each time. I might be wrong, but I wouldn't mind seeing the stats on that...

Anyway, now he's no longer allowed to kick people in the head and stomach, I'll be interested to see how he goes. Regardless of past misdeeds, he's a gun!

He has towelled up Smith several times. I expect the Coaches will be giving him a bit of thought along with Coniglio, Kelly and Whitfield.

No doubt Jack will play. I would direct him to Greene.

I really do not understand why Melican is under consideration. He played a shocking game as a kpd against Footscray. I saw nothing in the NEAFL to suggest he has found any semblance of form.

He has towelled up Smith several times. I expect the Coaches will be giving him a bit of thought along with Coniglio, Kelly and Whitfield.

No doubt Jack will play. I would direct him to Greene.

I really do not understand why Melican is under consideration. He played a shocking game as a kpd against Footscray. I saw nothing in the NEAFL to suggest he has found any semblance of form.
GWS is a taller team than Richmond. Who would you play to cover their talls if you don't bring in Melican?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back