Delisted 13. Liam Stocker

Remove this Banner Ad

People keep saying he has "IT" and you can see why.

Mongrel, a competitive edge and good footy smarts/skills. These sorts of players tend to have a greater chance of succeeding IMO, with such a combination of attributes.

Exactly This.

And this kid is the sort of player that makes me bang my head against the wall when I compare other players on our list that have been there for years that we pray will one day have a tad of his attributes.
Move them on they don't even show anything special at VFL level.

This is a ruthless gig!

Stocker EASY a better pick than the differential between Adelaide and Carltons- EASY. Will become more obvious as year progresses- he will overtake a couple of the 3 and 4 year players by next year.

Seems to have those AFL quality intangibles. I’d argue he’s already overtaken LOB.

Not sure what game everyone was watching yesterday. He looked out of his depth to me

Not ready yet for AFL and is certainly not a back pocket.

Comparisons to legends of the game like Diesel or Lenny Hayes are just mind boggling
Focus on the things he did well and then extrapolate forward. Of course he's still finding his feet. He's a first year player and has a whopping two games under the belt as one of the replacements for two senior guys in important roles. He's done well.

Focus on the things he did well and then extrapolate forward. Of course he's still finding his feet. He's a first year player and has a whopping two games under the belt as one of the replacements for two senior guys in important roles. He's done well.
I'm not writing him off, I'm just saying he still has a mountain left to prove before we can say that the trade was a win/win, let a lone to be compared to legends.

I'm not writing him off, I'm just saying he still has a mountain left to prove before we can say that the trade was a win/win, let a lone to be compared to legends.

All we really care about is whether he is best 22 moving forward. Can safely say that he is, extremely talented player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what game everyone was watching yesterday. He looked out of his depth to me

Comparisons to legends of the game like Diesel or Lenny Hayes are just mind boggling

Got to justify a poor trade.

I like what I see. Most of all he is fearless. The best part is we rate him higher than he actually went. We get a quality pick 12 months ahead of the next draft and this experience on the big stage can only help. With some luck we actually win a few close ones and climb up the ladder, hands in there folks.

Of course you are right he has a lot of development and experience to get through over the next 12- 18 months during which time he wll show how good he will be or not.

That said I 'look' for certain traits for young players and he ticks my boxes regarding three things already

1. He enjoys physical contact and was keen to show opposition players that he was there- watch him run to tackled Carlton players and push opposition players away or shoulder them as they move away .

2. He is a very good field kick - which shows he can execute but also has awareness about the general field of play

3. He doesn't shun hard ball get contact.

He has the basic talent to develop into a player - I can understand SOS and Carlton wanting him on the books.

Angus or Andrew?

Andrew is.

Angus was, but has unfortunately had to change his body composition and playing style to avoid concussion.

Neither are really contested players, despite billed as such. I actually think Andrew has been pretty underwhelming and is going to need to seriously pack on weight to get to a decent level. Seems to make lots of technically OK, but safe decisions.

Angus is a decent link player, and is handy in a number of positions but last years 3rd place Brownlow finish was mind-boggling.

I still like the Daniel Kerr comparison most with Stocker. Similar kicking style, and nice inside/outside balance.

playing safe as mind-boggling as going early - the truth probably lies on the middle but I'm going with star-mid on this one, margaret..........

Got to justify a poor trade.
Forget the trade. A second-gamer in his first year at AFL level just put up better numbers than some of our first round pick midfielders did while playing from the back flank. Be happy for him.

Of course you are right he has a lot of development and experience to get through over the next 12- 18 months during which time he wll show how good he will be or not.

That said I 'look' for certain traits for young players and he ticks my boxes regarding three things already

1. He enjoys physical contact and was keen to show opposition players that he was there- watch him run to tackled Carlton players and push opposition players away or shoulder them as they move away .

2. He is a very good field kick - which shows he can execute but also has awareness about the general field of play

3. He doesn't shun hard ball get contact.

He has the basic talent to develop into a player - I can understand SOS and Carlton wanting him on the books.
That little snap into space that resulted in McGovern's goal showed great awareness and composure.

That little snap into space that resulted in McGovern's goal showed great awareness and composure.

yes - he seems to have good 'vision' around the ground - doesn't show the typical frozen in headlights behaviour that can affect new players and is confident enough to have a go.