Roast Hun asks questions - heat is on

Remove this Banner Ad

Jon Ralph reads BF I think. I have edited this cut and paste to clear some pics and formatting issues.

It’s time for North Melbourne coach Brad Scott to play his youngsters, Jon Ralph writes
Nine rounds into a season going nowhere, it is time for Brad Scott to make the public declaration.
North Melbourne is playing the kids every chance they possibly get for the future of their football club.
And for either a smooth negotiated exit for Scott at season’s end or an exciting plunge for the senior coach into the new era of North Melbourne success.

On the weekend, as Sydney’s band of exciting youngsters overwhelmed the Roos off-Broadway on Saturday night, they were nowhere to be seen.
Despite Scott saying only weeks ago the club’s list rebuild was one of the most comprehensive in its history, just four North Melbourne-listed players 21 and under played football.
The VFL had a bye, so Luke Davies-Uniacke, Paul Ahern, Bailey Scott, budding tagger Kyron Hayden and dropped youngster Curtis Taylor sat on their backsides.
And the AFL team featuring seven players 28 or older and a heap of 100-game players had just four players 21 or younger.
It’s time for Brad Scott to play North Melbourne’s youngsters.

They were 21-year-old Jy Simpkin, 19-year-old Tarryn Thomas, 20-year-old Cam Zurhaar and Nick Larkey, 20.
Sydney had 18 players with under 100 games and lost Zak Jones early but won, playing their youngest side since 1997.
Across at Port Adelaide they beat Gold Coast despite eight players with 10 or less games of experience.
At North Melbourne, serial tease Mason Wood was deplorable despite his age — 26 years — and 46 games of experience.
And the wildly exciting Taylor Garner playing second up after a long injury spell had seven possessions.
North Melbourne fans legitimately asked the question why Taylor was dropped after some exciting glimpses the previous week?
Why the club didn’t fight Sam Durdin’s contentious bumping suspension given their desperation to fast-track him into an elite defender?
Why Davies-Uniacke looked a genuine prospect after a summer growing into his body but hasn’t played AFL since Round 6?

Mason Wood struggled against the Swans. Picture: Michael KleinPaul Ahern hasn’t found form so far this season. Picture: Sarah Reed
Why Ahern’s development has stagnated after averaging 23 possessions in 11 games last year?
Scott could justifiably say the experienced side chosen against Sydney was to save the club’s season.
But now at 2-7, the only gains to be made are through developing those kids for himself or the next coach.
Scott is contracted to 2020 but might feel his race is run by the end of the season.
Whether he jumped ship to a club like Carlton or spent a year in the media before a 2021 coaching berth, both of those scenarios are helped by 13 more weeks of fast-tracking kids.
It would be a smooth exit that showed he was interested in more than his win-loss record in his final year at the club.
The club’s official line is that there is no football department review, but no one would be surprised if one materialised at some stage this year.
Scott has coached 202 games at the club for 101 wins and 101 losses, but no draws.
Similarly there is no middle ground between the fans he polarises after a decade in the job.
Sydney fans were similarly frustrated a month ago, yet as they showed North Melbourne on Saturday it is amazing how the kids can surprise you if you only give them a chance.

Last edited:
Jebus, For a press person (can't say professional) to use to term deplorable to describe an individual is quite rare.

If the choice is to tank and play kids enduring loss after loss but see what the future looks like with fielding a younger side on average, and experimenting setups.

Or

Field our oldest and most experienced side, and continue to get belted for weeks on end spinning wheels in the mud to find some form and get a 12th-15th finish at best & come into the next year with inexperience.

I think I know what I'd prefer to see as a fan.
And if Brad Scott had the best interests of the club in mind he'd prepare us for that future.

I said the season was done like 4 rounds ago, the club has been deluding itself since and still believes there's room to turn things around.
Well how much room is there now huh?

Spare the embarrassment of a wooden spoon and tank, because Carlton will be handed it no matter what on their form, and we can sit at 17th at least realistic about how s**t we have been since Round 1 of this year.

John Ralph reads BF I think. I have edited this cut and paste to clear some pics and formatting issues.

It’s time for North Melbourne coach Brad Scott to play his youngsters, Jon Ralph writes
Nine rounds into a season going nowhere, it is time for Brad Scott to make the public declaration.
North Melbourne is playing the kids every chance they possibly get for the future of their football club.
And for either a smooth negotiated exit for Scott at season’s end or an exciting plunge for the senior coach into the new era of North Melbourne success.

On the weekend, as Sydney’s band of exciting youngsters overwhelmed the Roos off-Broadway on Saturday night, they were nowhere to be seen.
Despite Scott saying only weeks ago the club’s list rebuild was one of the most comprehensive in its history, just four North Melbourne-listed players 21 and under played football.
The VFL had a bye, so Luke Davies-Uniacke, Paul Ahern, Bailey Scott, budding tagger Kyron Hayden and dropped youngster Curtis Taylor sat on their backsides.
And the AFL team featuring seven players 28 or older and a heap of 100-game players had just four players 21 or younger.

They were 21-year-old Jy Simpkin, 19-year-old Tarryn Thomas, 20-year-old Cam Zurhaar and Nick Larkey, 20.
Sydney had 18 players with under 100 games and lost Zak Jones early but won, playing their youngest side since 1997.
Across at Port Adelaide they beat Gold Coast despite eight players with 10 or less games of experience.
At North Melbourne, serial tease Mason Wood was deplorable despite his age — 26 years — and 46 games of experience.
And the wildly exciting Taylor Garner playing second up after a long injury spell had seven possessions.
North Melbourne fans legitimately asked the question why Taylor was dropped after some exciting glimpses the previous week?
Why the club didn’t fight Sam Durdin’s contentious bumping suspension given their desperation to fast-track him into an elite defender?
Why Davies-Uniacke looked a genuine prospect after a summer growing into his body but hasn’t played AFL since Round 6?

Mason Wood struggled against the Swans. Picture: Michael KleinPaul Ahern hasn’t found form so far this season. Picture: Sarah Reed
Why Ahern’s development has stagnated after averaging 23 possessions in 11 games last year?
Scott could justifiably say the experienced side chosen against Sydney was to save the club’s season.
But now at 2-7, the only gains to be made are through developing those kids for himself or the next coach.
Scott is contracted to 2020 but might feel his race is run by the end of the season.
Whether he jumped ship to a club like Carlton or spent a year in the media before a 2021 coaching berth, both of those scenarios are helped by 13 more weeks of fast-tracking kids.
It would be a smooth exit that showed he was interested in more than his win-loss record in his final year at the club.
The club’s official line is that there is no football department review, but no one would be surprised if one materialised at some stage this year.
Scott has coached 202 games at the club for 101 wins and 101 losses, but no draws.
Similarly there is no middle ground between the fans he polarises after a decade in the job.
Sydney fans were similarly frustrated a month ago, yet as they showed North Melbourne on Saturday it is amazing how the kids can surprise you if you only give them a chance.
F***ing hope the boys brigade read this. Should be posted on the front door at Arden St.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s my point
Sourced content from here but is still a flog

Oh yeah yuuuuge flog. It's a pretty aggressive article though

Jon Ralph reads BF I think. I have edited this cut and paste to clear some pics and formatting issues.

The first time I’ve agreed with what this muppet has said. And exactly the point I made after the siren on Saturday. This decision has to be made NOW!.

If the choice is to tank and play kids enduring loss after loss but see what the future looks like with fielding a younger side on average, and experimenting setups.

Or

Field our oldest and most experienced side, and continue to get belted for weeks on end spinning wheels in the mud to find some form and get a 12th-15th finish at best & come into the next year with inexperience.

And if Brad Scott had the best interests of the club in mind he'd prepare us for that future.

I said the season was done like 4 rounds ago, the club has been deluding itself since and still believes there's room to turn things around.

Spare the embarrassment of a wooden spoon and tank, because Carlton will be handed it no matter what on their form, and we can sit at 17th at least realistic about how **** we have been since Round 1 of this year.

If we are gonna lose anyway playing kids isn't tanking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty much got it spot on, at least if we do play some of the juniors we’ll have something to get excited about because at present there is nothing exciting about our what we are doing.

Hi Jon.

You’re still a **** journo

Apparently he's a football development genius this week.

Who would have thought that after all these years masquerading as a hack sports writer?

Pretty much got it spot on, at least if we do play some of the juniors we’ll have something to get excited about because at present there is nothing exciting about our what we are doing.
And we might also get some idea about which kids will make it. We'll also save perhaps half a season on the inevitable rebuild.

Thank you.

Then the strategy is obvious right?

But apparently the club hasn't believed that for 3 weeks.

We had ... lets say 5 "kids" playing in r 1 -3.

EVW (r1 then injured), LDU, Jy, Bailey Scott, Ben MacKay, Tarryn Thomas (r2 on), at r4 we dropped Bailey and BMac but Cam Z and Pauly came in (as well as Jed Anderson who probably was the difference.) Thomas went out for Bailey in the next game. But cam back and bailey went.

Since then we've played Larkey, Taylor and Durdin.

That's 10 players who have played few or no games before this season plus Jy who has played about 2 years of senior AFL footy.

That's actually better than a few other years under Scotts that i can think of.

That's actually better than a few other years under Scotts that i can think of.

Its not really that big of an achievement its only happened by necessity as part of the team from 5 years ago getting so old it was a choice that had to be made.

Couple that with the injuries coming into and out of Round 1 into Round 5 there was also hands forced playing McKay.

And its been couple games in, then straight out, if you're lucky to get past 1, and its been that way for 2 years for youngsters. Tarryns lasted the longest, rightfully so because he's been playing the best footy of the crop but factor in our old spine of players, and the recruits who are mid 20s onwards, its just been a total pulling resistance to get games into younger players, its almost as if Brad doesn't want to be in the position to play them for wanting to stay competitive and in the race for...finals I guess?

Well its over, its been over for 4 weeks and I think finally, the club woken up and smelled the coffee.

And when put that way, it begs the question, just how deluded was NMFC coming into this season, the goal had to have been finals, and it kept persisting in a very Melbourne like fashion to dig itself out of the hole to justify that.

The only thing wrong with this Thread is the presumption that this is coming from BF....um hate to rain on your parade GK but this was a common feeling amongst the many that I spoke to who ventured to Tassy

Our AFL side played a VFL and lost

Disgraceful

Does he know how many "kids" we played this year so far or how many in the first 4 or 5 games?

Or

Spare the embarrassment of a wooden spoon and tank, because Carlton will be handed it no matter what on their form, and we can sit at 17th at least realistic about how **** we have been since Round 1 of this year.

I'm confident we can still make it 👍

Does he know how many "kids" we played this year so far or how many in the first 4 or 5 games?

One or two games in and then back out is technically playing the kids, but until they are being given important roles or extended periods in the side, it's "playing the kids" by name only.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back