Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

....as does Ben McKay, who didn't play in the VFL because of a quad injury after overcoming pneumonia and a sore toe in recent weeks....

Wow - that's some run for the young fella...all to avoid playing on his brother and all....

I met a family member of Ben's last week who said that Ben had been unwell all season but only recently diagnosed with pneumonia.

The person said the Ben was super frustrated with it but was focused on getting a game and had been hopeful of playing against Carlton.

Clearly something else has now gone wrong so its another injury shambles a la Wood, Garner, Wright, Jacobs, EVW yada yada yada

Like everyone else - I really have high hopes and just needs a healthy run at it!

Pneumonia must take it out of you though even with a full pre-season?

Fingers crossed

Dominated across CHB all last year and was starting to feel and look really confident back there.

Play him at the start of the year with underdone players around him and he gets exposed big time. Confidence drops.

Then he has a bout of pneumonia and a minor quad injury. Comes back the VFL as a FORWARD again, after training as a key defender all pre-season.

Absolutely stuffing around his development.

The good news is that Shaw has been the defensive coach in the seniors so he will be all over BMac's development this year - let's see what happens next week once Shaw has been able to stamp his authority on the place.

If BMac stays forward in the VFL it will tell us what they think of his chances of making it as an AFL standard kpd.

Last edited:
with watson durdin and him there one of them has to play forward but durdin seems more natural there to me. Mckay was very good last seaosn in vfl should continue there. Durdin vs brisbane final game of season 2 years back played well as a lead up forward should play him there

Interesting to see what happens here...

View attachment 681686
It was odd. I read the same VFL recap and stats (i.e. possessions) for every AFL listed player. It appeared that stats were given for all players except for Benny I'm fairly sure. Despite the glowing appraisal in the above paragraph. If anyone could enlighten me as to what Ben did in the second half to impact on the game I'd be grateful

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was his best effort yesterday for sure - fantastic body on the line stuff.

He played the whole game back.

I thought he didn't do a great deal - either right or wrong. Didn't look like a guy busting the door down to say play seniors though - didn't look 'above the level'.

Durds looked more involved tbh.

A few more weeks in the VFL for BMac from my perspective.

That was his best effort yesterday for sure - fantastic body on the line stuff.

He played the whole game back.

I thought he didn't do a great deal - either right or wrong. Didn't look like a guy busting the door down to say play seniors though - didn't look 'above the level'.

Durds looked more involved tbh.

A few more weeks in the VFL for BMac from my perspective.
I agree with your take however I think it's one of the reasons he needs to play seniors, to see if he can lift and fill a role. I'd have either him or Durdin in each week for the remainder of the year. Durdin does deserve first crack on form.

Struggles to know when to spread to get into possession chains. When we were exiting defence he'd be asking for the ball but hadn't made good positioning. Still has a lot of work to do before he could hold down an AFL position.

I agree with your take however I think it's one of the reasons he needs to play seniors, to see if he can lift and fill a role. I'd have either him or Durdin in each week for the remainder of the year. Durdin does deserve first crack on form.

At some point, Maj comes back and then neither of them gets a look in.

Still a baby in football terms (particularly with his frame). Hopefully he can get a string of games together now and push towards a regular senior spot later in the year.

Hopefully we can find a way to give him a run of at least 4 or 5 games in the second half of the year.
No real suprises hes just coming on now, his brother had the luxury of being gifted a run of games and is only really showing signs now. Griffin logue would be another to compare him to. Drafted a year later but remember the mckays were bottom agers only sneaking into the earlier draft by a few days. Griffin Copped some injuries and only now beginning to emerge as a solid key position tall. Fwiw English was also in this draft and lost a lot of footy when he was knocked out in a game against williamstown in the vfl..

Hopefully it’s burning inside him that he’s not getting games in the seniors. I’m sure it is. Lamb roasts at the parents with brother Harry would be just a little bit galling at the moment I reckon.

A few consistent games like the one on the weekend and it becomes critical that the club finally rewards him with some games. Just give him an opportunity.

This discourse unfortunately was a major talking point of BF last year and it’s a real shame that we’re still discussing this. Hopefully we persist with him into 2020.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back