Unofficial Preview Changes vs Carlton Round 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given how poor they have been, even with a lift in performance/effort with a new coach we should still have the structures, game play and skills to beat them. I’ll be seriously disappointed if we don’t.
All three of Adelaide, Fremantle and Hawthorne have thrown everything at us in the last three weeks (all good teams) only one of those teams beat us, 1 point after the siren.
I honestly think we have the goods to repel anything Carlton throw at us!

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Off for my annual Melbourne footy weekend on Friday with two sons and a couple of other Lions tragics.

Richmond/Geelong on Friday night at the G followed by our game against the Blues at Marvel on Saturday arvo. Feels like a real danger game for us especially with the Bolton sacking and the likelihood of the bad guys lifting as a result.

Oh well, at least We'll be there in the flesh. I'm a bundle of nerves when watching an away game on the box but feel more relaxed if I'm actually at the ground.

Go LIONS!!!!

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Off for my annual Melbourne footy weekend on Friday with two sons and a couple of other Lions tragics.

Richmond/Geelong on Friday night at the G followed by our game against the Blues at Marvel on Saturday arvo. Feels like a real danger game for us especially with the Bolton sacking and the likelihood of the bad guys lifting as a result.

Oh well, at least We'll be there in the flesh. I'm a bundle of nerves when watching an away game on the box but feel more relaxed if I'm actually at the ground.

Go LIONS!!!!
have a great trip, we, another group of tragic are going to Adelaide to the lions V Port latter in the year. Have a great time.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
have a great trip, we, another group of tragic are going to Adelaide to the lions V Port latter in the year. Have a great time.

You too.

We're thinking about a trip to Adelaide next year.

Have you done that one before?

Appreciate any feedback on accommodation options, where to sit for maximum Lions experience at the game and what watering holes are good for pre and post match conviviality.:):footy:

royboys4eva

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2006
Melbourne - once Darwin.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So I guess Carlton will be one short in the coaches box. Teague steps up to the senior role but who takes the role he was doing? You can almost guarantee they will be a completely different side on Saturday.

Shackles will be off. Carlton players will be told to be more positive and attacking and that they have nothing to lose as everyone expects them to lose. Some players will have not liked Bolton and will now play 20-30% better than they have in the past month.

I really hope we start well and force them into errors. If we let them kick early goals and get the crowd right behind them they will be dangerous. Cripps has struggled with a hard tag in the past month so we should strongly consider sending Mitch to him.

The other guy that worries me is Charlie Curnow. Super talent but done nothing this season. He is due a huge game. Thankfully we have two of the best defenders in the business in Harris and Darcy but we will need Walker back into the team to help cover especially if McGovern gets selected.

Its a big game for Carlton but its much bigger game for our club. Wearing our special jumper for the day and the Hall of Fame dinner that night not to mention the critical 4 points to keep us entrenched in the final 8.

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You too.

We're thinking about a trip to Adelaide next year.

Have you done that one before?

Appreciate any feedback on accommodation options, where to sit for maximum Lions experience at the game and what watering holes are good for pre and post match conviviality.:):footy:
Not followed them on away trips before but us tragics are also wine tragics so we figured we would wrap a weekend around their away games. For Adelaide we have used Oaks hotels as the Lions sponsor which you can get a discount off. Really want to see that Port Adelaide singing before the match. We all went to school together so us blokes are all now retiring together and hence our indulgences.

So I guess Carlton will be one short in the coaches box. Teague steps up to the senior role but who takes the role he was doing? You can almost guarantee they will be a completely different side on Saturday.

They promoted the guy responsible for the second worst scoring forward line in the league, so arguably they can barely get any worse if no one took over the role he was doing.

royboys4eva

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2006
Melbourne - once Darwin.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
They promoted the guy responsible for the second worst scoring forward line in the league, so arguably they can barely get any worse if no one took over the role he was doing.

Yes agree the Blues ball movement and structure looks very poor. Hard to imagine it can change dramatically in one week, that said when players lack confidence and stop taking risks and running everything breaks down.

The Blues are very capable of playing a good half but I would be disappointed if we let them string 3 or 4 good quarters together.

Did not realise he got his own sons a gig. How on earth did that cowboy act happen in this day and age of transparency?? id want him GONE immediately on those acts alone.
I wish they had drafted Sam Sheldon.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yes agree the Blues ball movement and structure looks very poor. Hard to imagine it can change dramatically in one week, that said when players lack confidence and stop taking risks and running everything breaks down.

The Blues are very capable of playing a good half but I would be disappointed if we let them string 3 or 4 good quarters together.

Worst case scenario is they lift their intensity but we've handled the Crows and Hawthorn and other top teams.

They'll still struggle to kick a decent score.

I think we all expect Carlton to come out hard this week after everything. Guessing Dale Thomas comes back in for them at least. A bit of an older head. Mitch surely goes to Cripps to stop him and hopefully not give away too many silly free kicks.

Someone posted a twitter or instagram snap of Cripps following Mitch when Mitch said he's chatting to a gun trying to get them to brisbane. So I hope he tags Cripps and uses every opportunity whisper sweet nothings in his ear that convince him to move north.

I know it's nothing but a dream but it's a dream I like.

Someone posted a twitter or instagram snap of Cripps following Mitch when Mitch said he's chatting to a gun trying to get them to brisbane. So I hope he tags Cripps and uses every opportunity whisper sweet nothings in his ear that convince him to move north.

I know it's nothing but a dream but it's a dream I like.

I'd laugh my ass off it he came to Brisbane. I'd also book flights for September.

I'd laugh my ass off it he came to Brisbane. I'd also book flights for September.
Contracted until the end of 2021.
Not sure we would have the currency to get him. He would be worth two high end first rounders one would think 🤔 and we don’t have that.
Collingwoods first and our first next year plus Cuts???

JacobSamson

Draftee
Jun 3, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Id like to see Archie stay in, with Martin spending a bit more time forward. I felt that once Archie went into the ruck we dominated the middle a bit more - he has a great leap and it ensures we get first touch.

My only change would be:
OUT: Robertson - did a great job for the role given
IN: Allison - little bit taller and a better user of the ball off halfback.

Fagenslions36

All Australian
Jun 14, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Any chance we would look at say an Isaac smith to come in and play wing for us as a free agent or at 30 is he out of our age demographic now ?

James North

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Id like to see Archie stay in, with Martin spending a bit more time forward. I felt that once Archie went into the ruck we dominated the middle a bit more - he has a great leap and it ensures we get first touch.

My only change would be:
OUT: Robertson - did a great job for the role given
IN: Allison - little bit taller and a better user of the ball off halfback.

Many will say I'm biased but I did think that, objectively, Archie offered way more in the ruck than either Martin or Oscar has this year. He's way over anyone with the leap and gets us first use. Our mids spilled it quite a bit, but it lowers the randomness of that centre bounce scenario and we can score from them more this year. He's also great with his hands around the ground (good passage on the wing on the weekend).

He absolutely is the worst of the 3 as a forward, but when he rests in the square he can mark and kick goals. I guess his role would be to bring the ball to ground if he's going up for a pack mark as he rarely takes one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back