Don't want, (or need) to start a new thread - still want to post it though

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this but no real explanation.

https://aflvic.com.au/2019-toyota-afl-sir-doug-nicholls-round/

The 2019 Toyota AFL Sir Doug Nicholls Round will be celebrated across rounds 10 and 11 of the Toyota AFL Premiership Season, beginning with the Marngrook match between Sydney and Collingwood at the SCG, followed by the annual Dreamtime at the G match between Essendon and Richmond on Saturday night.

Don't see many round 50 cent coins floating around these days. But he has 7 obviously and is quite the collector. Wonder what they would be worth now
Only made in one year. But lots were made, but you don’t see them anymore.Then the multi sided coin came in.

I’d think a pristine rounded coin would attract a good few dollars (between 10 and 20 dollars, be a nice collect) but you’d have to go around collectors.

The 1966 batch made was in the millions, so it’s not as rare as you’d think.

The good news is, they can’t lose their initial value, they’re always minimum 0.50c. so you can get a 50 cent item with one such coin.

Only made in one year. But lots were made, but you don’t see them anymore.Then the multi sided coin came in.

I’d think a pristine rounded coin would attract a good few dollars (between 10 and 20 dollars, be a nice collect) but you’d have to go around collectors.

The 1966 batch made was in the millions, so it’s not as rare as you’d think.

The good news is, they can’t lose their initial value, they’re always minimum 0.50c. so you can get a 50 cent item with one such coin.
My parents owned a milk bar back in the 70s and kept all the round 50c pieces that went through the shop. Me and my brother raided the box which had them all, spending them all on footy cards trying to get the elusive Jeff Sarau card which would have made the collection.
Anyway the price of silver went through the roof and i think each 50c was worth at least $7 so my parents thought they made a small fortune.. .til they went to cash them in and found they were all gone.
We got a well deserved beating and we never ended up getting the Jeff Sarau either. And i learnt a lesson. Never steal the round 50 cents only the straight edged ones!

Last edited:
My parents owned a milk bar back in the 70s and kept all the round 50c pieces that went through the shop. Me and my brother raided the box which had them all, spending them all on footy cards trying to get the elusive Jeff Sarau card which would have made the collection.
Anyway the price of silver went through the roof and i think each 50c was worth at least $7 so my parents thought they made a small fortune.. .til they went to cash them in and found they were all gone.
We got a well deserved beating and we never ended up getting the Jeff Sarau either. And i learnt a lesson. Only steal the round 50 cents only the straight edged ones!
And that other lesson you learnt that you should have shared with us:

Never trust Jeff Sarau to deliver for you :eek::p

ps fantastic anecdote, and well posted. When milk bars were real things and made real money. Those wonderful mixed up lollies :)

We got a well deserved beating and we never ended up getting the Jeff Sarau either. And i learnt a lesson. Only steal the round 50 cents only the straight edged ones!

Really a belting for a St.Kilda player HCB?

Really a belting for a St.Kilda player HCB?

It was definitely the 1977 one and it was impossible to find! I finally found someone who had 2 and it cost me about 5 cards and a few bucks. Its an insult its only worth $5 now!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm watching the tennis.... and once again a Pommie commentator has mentioned Andy Murray when discussing the 3 greatest players of this era... and possibly any era.

Everytime i hear about the "big 4" I wanna puke...

We got a well deserved beating and we never ended up getting the Jeff Sarau either. And i learnt a lesson. Never steal the round 50 cents only the straight edged ones!
I think it was a distribution thing too. While Sarau had a limited print, he was found more regularly in different suburbs.

I use to have scheme with milk bars. I would buy 10/15 packs at a time then go home & select the cards I wanted.

I would then package unwanted cards back up in the wrappers that I would glue.

Then I would go into the milk bar & buy another 10/15 packs. I would then walk out the door & substitute them for the unwanted 10/15 packs.

Then walk back in & say, "Hey, I bought 10/15 packs packs yesterday from the top of the box. I would like 10/15 packs from the bottom to change my luck."

They would substitute no problems!:D

I think it was a distribution thing too. While Sarau had a limited print, he was found more regularly in different suburbs.

I use to have scheme with milk bars. I would buy 10/15 packs at a time then go home & select the cards I wanted.

Then I would go into the milk bar & buy another 10/15 packs. I would then walk out the door & substitute them for the unwanted 10/15 packs.

Then walk back in & say, "Hey, I bought 10/15 packs packs yesterday from the top of the box. I would like 10/15 packs from the bottom to change my luck."

so thats why i bought packets that were hard to open... hmmmmm

I want my $1 back.
Wretched packet.
Couldn’t get the cards out.
And all this time I blamed scanlons and that cheap stick of gum which I thought kept the packet shut.

I have to say something about the sacking of Bolton. The people who selected him are the same people who remain in positions of power at the club. How they can show their faces to the public and Carlton members is beyond me. The President says that the sacking was in the best interests of the club. How can his continued presence in the boardroom be in its best interests? Stephen Silvagni? Did he have the guts to look at himself in the mirror this morning? If the President and the so-called list manager want to be on a coach selection panel, shouldnt they take some responsibility for the selection? Broader still, shouldnt they take some responsibility for the much publicised "PLAN"?

The most curious thing about people in charge of things, is that they believe that the country, the organisation or the footy club that they are in charge of, would be lost without them. Silvagni, especially, has been a living breathing example of FIGJAM since he hoodwinked the footy world into believing he was the greatest fullback of the century, by crawling on the backs of the great full forwards of the 90s. In the final analysis, I'm more than happy to see these jokers stick around and show their leadership skills for the next few years.

I don't want to start a thread until confirmed properly but reports filtering through that Allan McAllister has passed away :(
Sad if true. He loves the Pies and was there for a famous flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back