Should Labour split with the CMFEU?

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems a little convenient to stay that the benchmark of great leadership is influencing public opinion for the better, then in the next breath giving the Greens a free pass because everyone is mean to them.
Isn't great leadership about influencing public opinion for the better? The truth about the Greens is that most of their policies from 5 years ago are now legislated law. They have a future outlook and have good so called 'progressive policy.'
What Greens policy do you and other people disagree with?

Split the CMFEU up and break with the Mining Union. The pro-coal mining part of the union is dead wood and an albatross around Labor's neck.Labor should be trying to sell and fund renewable project jobs to disaffected coal workers instead of sitting on the fence.
Labor and the Unions should only be working towards ensuring that their workers receive their full pay and entitlements from the mine owners.
If they ensure this then individuals are able to make their own choices about what they do with their futures.

Nonsense.
Nonsense.

Maybe 10 years ago is a better example.
.I haven't got a list, but the Greens were advocating gay marriage at a time when Penny Wong was backing the 'No' Labor policy
Other examples are the solar energy rebate, anti-bullying legislation, the racial discrimination ammendments ect. The Greens advocate for sensible public policy that helps the people, the Coalition advocate for Christians, Xenophobes, the coal lobby and other unethical corporate lobby groups ,Labor asks the CMFEU what they want before they finalize policy.The Greens aren't tied to vested interstate groups.

Labor and the Unions should only be working towards ensuring that their workers receive their full pay and entitlements from the mine owners.
If they ensure this then individuals are able to make their own choices about what they do with their futures.
Sounds good in theory but you forgot we have a climate emergency on our hands.It doesn't go away by pretending that it's not happening.

You can say this all you like, but you don't seem to understand that people are not going to vote to slit their own throats and neither are unions.

It easy to decry short term thinking when it is not your short term that is being talked about. If you want people to support getting rid of coal, you need come up with something better than a vague "there will be renewables jobs for everyone".

Here's another perspective...

Liberal Party circa March 12 2019

The energy minister Angus Taylor has confirmed the Morrison government is continuing to assess new coal generation projects despite pushback from moderate Liberals, but he says taxpayers will only support projects that are “viable”.

"Sydney Liberal Trent Zimmerman said “a Liberal government should not be in the business of building new coal-fired power stations in circumstances when the market is not prepared to do so”."
Zimmerman - Result Elected

"Victorian Liberal Tim Wilson said if the economics of a coal project stacked up, the private sector would build it. “I’m not a fan of the government getting involved and building new coal-fired power stations. I don’t believe that is Coalition policy or ever has been,” Wilson told the ABC."
Wilson - Result Elected

"The Brisbane Liberal Trevor Evans said the economics of coal did not stack up “and quite frankly the party room would not support it”."
Evans - Result Elected

As well as tensions between Liberals and Nationals, there are also tensions between Nationals in different parts of the country, with Victorians demanding Joyce and others maintain discipline. The Nationals deputy leader Bridget McKenzie said of Joyce’s public interventions in recent days, that “Australia is frustrated, you know, that there is a politician out there that is not focused on their needs and issues”. The New South Wales Nationals leader John Barilaro – on the hustings in the NSW state election – was even more forthright, urging his federal counterparts to “shut up” and stop navel-gazing.

With polls showing Australian voters are concerned there is not enough action on climate change, Liberals have pushed back against the coal sortie from Queensland.

Meanwhile in The Labor Party...

Signed pledge - Support for Adani and jobs
Zac Beers - Result - Was not elected

Signed pledge and stated "I'm going to do my best to make sure every one of those six projects get up and running."
Russell Robertson - Result - Was not elected

Signed a pledge - "the immediate opening of the Galilee Basin and jobs for North Queensland"
Cathy O'Toole - Result - Was not elected

"Josh Burns, Labor's pick to replace Michael Danby in the marginal seat of Macnamara, told a candidate forum earlier this month he opposed Adani.

"I don't want to see this thing built, and I don't want to see any other mine in the Galilee Basin being built – not Clive Palmer's and not Gina Rinehart's, and not some of the other mines that are waiting," Mr Burns said to applause from the inner-Melbourne crowd."
Josh Burns - Result Elected

Individual candidates can say what they like, but at the end of the day party discipline is so strong in Australia that it is the overall policy message from the party that cuts through in the electorate on high profile matters like this. The results you cite are far more down to the demographics of each electorate than the comments of the candidate.

ALP MPs in particular have their hands tied, signing a pledge is pretty meaningless when they face expulsion for crossing the floor.

Last edited:
Individual candidates can say what they like, but at the end of the day party discipline is so strong in Australia that it is the overall policy message from the party that cuts through in the electorate on high profile matters like this. The results you cite are far more down to the demographics of each electorate than the comments of the candidate.

ALP MPs in particular have their hands tied, signing a pledge is pretty meaningless when they face expulsion for crossing the floor.

Asked if he would pledge to enable Labor MPs to have "a full and frank debate" about the Adani mine, he said "my people are free to speak".

The CFMMEU pledge states: "I support coal mining jobs and recognise their value to our communities ... I support approval of coal mining developments that meet regulatory requirements".

Asked if he would pledge to enable Labor MPs to have "a full and frank debate" about the Adani mine, he said "my people are free to speak".

The CFMMEU pledge states: "I support coal mining jobs and recognise their value to our communities ... I support approval of coal mining developments that meet regulatory requirements".

Obviously from the election result in Queensland, people did not want support for coal mining jobs and did not recognise their value to their community. They did not approve of coal mining developments unless... they did not meet regulatory requirements.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, yes. Everyone’s free to speak. Voting is a different matter.

Wouldn't that be true also for The Liberal Party... they were sending inconsistent messages (see post above)

In fact just prior to the election, I remember one LNP senator threatening the job of an LNP minister (Minister Price - Result - Elected) over her delay in approving Adani's Federal Parliament hurdles.

Wouldn't that be true also for The Liberal Party... they were sending inconsistent messages (see post above)

In fact just prior to the election, I remember one LNP senator threatening the job of an LNP minister (Minister Price - Result - Elected) over her delay in approving Adani's Federal Parliament hurdles.
As I said, both parties exercise very strong discipline over their MPs (although I think the ALP are the only ones to expel MPs for crossing the floor).

Because of this the difference comes down to overall party policy, of which the Coalition was far more supportive of Adani than Labor. That is what drove the result in various electorates, rather than the comments of individual candidates.

As I said, both parties exercise very strong discipline over their MPs (although I think the ALP are the only ones to expel MPs for crossing the floor).

Because of this the difference comes down to overall party policy, of which the Coalition was far more supportive of Adani than Labor. That is what drove the result in various electorates, rather than the comments of individual candidates.

So when ministers state they are campaigning (in the non-BigFooty sense of the word) in their electorate they are just wasting their time, and everyone is waiting to hear what Scott Morrison and Bill Shorten have to say on the issue? ...and even though Bill Shorten did not say he would block Adani, this was the Federal election defining moment...

How do Independents win? Like Zali "I'm going to oppose Adani" Steggle, and Andrew "I'm going to oppose Adani" Wilkie? If people don't give a s**t about who they vote for in their electorate?

So when ministers state they are campaigning (in the non-BigFooty sense of the word) in their electorate they are just wasting their time, and everyone is waiting to hear what Scott Morrison and Bill Shorten have to say on the issue? ...and even though Bill Shorten did not say he would block Adani, this was the Federal election defining moment...

How do Independents win? Like Zali "I'm going to oppose Adani" Steggle, and Andrew "I'm going to oppose Adani" Wilkie? If people don't give a **** about who they vote for in their electorate?
Look, it’s a spectrum. Independents have a high degree of autonomy in determining their policy, party MPs virtually none. Joe Blow MP might be able to get you a new swing set for the local school, but they’re not going to change the national stance on the South China Sea.

Rightly or wrongly, the perception was that national Labor policy was against Adani. I would venture to say that their Qld state colleagues didn’t help them out much in that respect. No local MP could fight that.

Likewise, Coalition policy was clearly in favour of Adani, so it didn’t really matter what their inner city candidates said to appease the hipsters.

Look, it’s a spectrum. Independents have a high degree of autonomy in determining their policy, party MPs virtually none. Joe Blow MP might be able to get you a new swing set for the local school, but they’re not going to change the national stance on the South China Sea.

Rightly or wrongly, the perception was that national Labor policy was against Adani. I would venture to say that their Qld state colleagues didn’t help them out much in that respect. No local MP could fight that.

Likewise, Coalition policy was clearly in favour of Adani, so it didn’t really matter what their inner city candidates said to appease the hipsters.
Most farmers want action on climate change and they are certainly not hipsters.

It sounds like you're trying to make The Adani NarrativeTM fit... it seems from what you are saying that people who voted against Labor listened to what inner city Labor hipsters had stated on Adani, but did not listen to what inner city Liberal hipsters had to say...

If truth be told the QLD Federal Labor candidates at the coal face strongly supported Adani.

It sounds like you're trying to make The Adani NarrativeTM fit... it seems from what you are saying that people who voted against Labor listened to what inner city Labor hipsters had stated on Adani, but did not listen to what inner city Liberal hipsters had to say...

If truth be told the QLD Federal Labor candidates at the coal face strongly supported Adani.
Voters listened to the overall wishy-washy noncommittal message that was coming out of the central Labor campaign, coloured by what the Labor state government was doing.

The opinions of local Labor candidates was completely negated by comparison. Don’t take my word for it. Ask them - they’ll tell you themselves.

If the Greens are so good at "influencing public opinion for the better", why did their vote go down in Queensland? If the case for what you want to do is so compelling, it should be very easy to go up there and make it to the people affected.

I do admit that it is even easier to characterise anyone who disagrees with you as stupid or misinformed, but that is incredibly lazy and destructive. I am sure you would be the first to decry it if it was coming from people you disagreed with.

Mmmm?

I agree that Green asshattery did a lot to damage the ALP in QLD, but surprisingly they did no harm to their own PV.

Maybe 10 years ago is a better example.
.I haven't got a list, but the Greens were advocating gay marriage at a time when Penny Wong was backing the 'No' Labor policy
Other examples are the solar energy rebate, anti-bullying legislation, the racial discrimination ammendments ect. The Greens advocate for sensible public policy that helps the people, the Coalition advocate for Christians, Xenophobes, the coal lobby and other unethical corporate lobby groups ,Labor asks the CMFEU what they want before they finalize policy.The Greens aren't tied to vested interstate groups.

1560506459221.png

Voters listened to the overall wishy-washy noncommittal message that was coming out of the central Labor campaign, coloured by what the Labor state government was doing.

The opinions of local Labor candidates was completely negated by comparison. Don’t take my word for it. Ask them - they’ll tell you themselves.

Oh I have asked many LNP voters why they voted for the LNP, I'm going to write a book on it "No one knows why they voted for The Liberal Party, they only know that they didn't want to vote for The Labor Party". Here's some examples of the interviews I conducted;

1) "I hate 'dem PC po-lease, a' can't even say NTTAWWT-tare and joo wifout git'in kicked off face-book"

RupieDupie - "Yeah but Scott Morrison retired and fired members of the LNP for comments they made on Facebook that were non-PC"

"It was dem lefties Labor wot did it... I jes' know it"

2) "...is he still out there?"

RupieDupie - "Who?"

"Who?!? Bill shorten! That's who!!! He's going to tax my dead cat!"

RupieDupie - "No he's not, that was just made up to scare ill-informed people"

"I'm not ill-informed... and if I am the reason is... Labor!"

3) "A vote for Labor is a vote for murderous Muslim refugee people to come to our shores in boats. If Labor was voted in 100,000,000,000 Muslim people will a) take our jobs, b) go on the dole, c) buy all our houses, d) increase inner city traffic, e) create gangs, f) increase crime, g) make restaurants unsafe, h) enforce sharia law, i) make us observe their religious rituals but take away our religious rituals, j)..."

RupieDupie - "I thought Scott Morrison loves Muslim people... at least that was what he was claiming post Christchurch and prior to the election. Additionally re: refugees, The Liberal Party approved to resettle some certain refugees from Rwanda..."

"But but but... Labor!"

4) "It was because Labor does not support coal and Liberal does that everyone in Australia got out of bed on Election Day"

RupieDupie - "and yet..."

"No, it is definitely so... I have a feeling this is true, Labor"

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back