Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives
Gritty win in the wet at the G!
Got the job done despite a woeful 3rd term.
Missing a key defender and playing a ruck with 1 WAFL game on limited minutes still won.
Negatives
3rd quarter
Having to play half a match a man down and really struggled for a while with Impey set loose.
Overall with Allen as an improvised full back rather than Gov or TB we did well to win. The last quarter by Shuey was fantastic. Cripps and the small forward fleet was awesome. Jack is back! Up the Coasters!

+ The melts on the freo board are fun reading
Of course. They always win these. When did they last lose a close game?
It goes to show that the better team doesn't always win
What a joke of a side West Coast are. They’d be hovering around 10th if they weren’t paying off the umps for those soft frees in front of goal that gives them a 2-3 goal advantage every single ******* game.
+ The last time we beat the Hawks at the G, we went on to win the premiership.

We have few elite duo's in this side.

If Gov doesn't get you, TB will and if Yeo doesn't then Boots will. Upforward it's the same case with JD and JK.
Add: if Hurn doesn't get you Jetta will. And hopefully as the year goes on: if Ryan doesn't get you, Willie will.

On CPH1707 using BigFooty.com mobile app

+ Jack ******* Darling
+ Luke ******* Shuey
+ Nic ******* Naitanui
+ Single ******* Fin's were cold
+ Yeo lifted in the last 5 despite being blanketed all day
+ Jamie "Clutch" Cripps, bonus points for making Sicily look like a right mug
+ Won against Free Kick Hawthorn
+ Second away game in a row where the delayed telecast has began right as I finished working, cheers 7
+ Shep contuines to be the most underrated defender going around
+ Won in the wet, on the road, with a man down for an entire half and one player on limited minutes

- That third quarter, big yikes
- One of my Single Fin's froze over
- Hutch :(
- Ceglar dominated without making us pay in that second half
- JK nowhere to be seen

You can quote is you remove the names. Just copy the test, and put it into a quote insert.

prpl_jss is an expert on this topic considering the massive helping hand freo have been getting from the umpires this year.
Without even the slightest hint of irony.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

+

nic is back, the difference he makes to this team is remarkable, the mids get silver service and his work in the middle late in the game was awesome.
Shuey steps up in the big games, showed today he should be mentioned in the top echelon of mids
JD- Back to the JD of last year we know and love.
Winning at the G again
Team selection, props to the match committee regularly picking the youngsters and giving them ago, whilst Cameron is not setting the world on fire, he is getting valuable time in a team that is contending.
Oscar- Don't rest him, the kid is going to be something special, and every game is valuable experience for him.
Couple of decent defenders to come back into this side.

Negatives

Masten- i've been ambivalent in regards to him, but after watching numerous weak efforts from him today, just wasting his spot in the team, put petch out on the wing and see what he can do in open space.

The tendency of these guys to go to sleep during games regularly is a concern, hopefully they are pacing themselves.

JK getting mauled, farking disgrace.

Allen wasn't all that bad one on one as a defender. He positioned himself really well in a few contests, wasn't outbodied all that often, and was pretty impactful with ball in hand.

There were a few times though when the ball was coming in and you could clearly see how little he understood the defensive unit. There were way too many times we had two defenders go up when one shoulda stayed down; too many instances of blokes losing their footing and costing goals. A lot of individual mistakes in def probably came down to structures breaking down.

We missed Gov and Barrass a lot out there today.

Positives:
+ Boots. Just immense in that last quarter. Willed himself to contest after contest and loose balls time and again. Epic effort. He'll sleep well on the flight back.
+ Darls. Huge effort in putrid conditions for talls. Clutch goals when needed.
+ Shep. This guy. I mean, ****! So, dare I say it, kamikaze and relentless. Every time he looks like he is out of the contest, he finds something. I reckon he would have to have some next level core strength. Just seems to be able to hold position on the ground and in the air.
+ Ryan. 2 goals just reward for his work rate. I don't care that he sometimes bites off more than he can chew. Last year Willie blew me away with his work rate. This year Ryan has got me shaking my head in disbelief. I'm not a stat guy, but I daresay he'd be up there in score involvments, no?Just imagine him wanting to pull out of a camp under Malthouse. What a loss to the game that would've been.
+ Nic. Brought a tear to my eye watching him standing off in the centre square for that first bounce. It was so obvious he was the difference in getting momentum our way. Particularly in first half. Terrible conditions to make a return but we'll take it.
+ Hurn/Jetta. Hurn was superb defensively. Jetta was superb offensively. Probably downplaying their respective defensive/offensive games, but you get my drift. That inside out banana through the centre square was ridiculous.
+ Nelson. This is exaclty the sort of game I had hoped he would play more consistently. Tough as s**t. Bit of dash off the half back line. Relentless (a less polished Shep).
+ Team Heart. Just wow. They just get find a way. They're prepared to scrap, grind and scrape for every win.
+ Allen. Not so much his game (although he worked into it and that mark was just courage personified) more the fact we have this 19 yo KPP that shows so much talent, flexibility and maturity that the MC has faith in him to throw him around, and while he may not be world beating he is holding his own. What is he going to be in 30 more games? **** we killed that draft. Absolutely killed it.
+ Went with someone's advice and signed up to the free 14 day Kayo Live ac to watch game. Had the house to myself, dog on the couch, smashed a few home brews and scared the neighbours.

Negatives:
- don't have a tv that I could cast the feed to. Had to watch it on my phone. Dropped phone half a dozen times while abusing the umps.
- neighbours may have called family sevices for some of the abuse I was throwing at the umps.
- may have had a slight stroke in the last 2 mins of game.

On CPH1707 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gutsy: more guts than Gina Rinehart's gunt.

+ effort from some players: didn't give up and kept us in it
+ breaking that hoodoo ya bish
+ Shuey: saved our bacon today, without him we didn't really have a mid-field
+ Jetta: led some great attacking football and defensive work
+ Nic Nack (as BT said - ******* campaigner)
+ Hickey: I don't see many praising him: he was a great counterpart to NN today: he also shows immense effort and chases after ball even though he's like a giraffe trying to eat grass when going for that ground ball
+ Darling: wtf mate? You can't mark on a dry day, then come out sticky hands in some of the worst conditions?
+ O. Allen - had a cracker of the game
+ Cripps: what a cluuuuuuuuutch goal

- letting Hawks get confidence: in the first quarter I thought we were going to dominate them: we let them get into it and their confidence grew; this was a turning point
- Yeo & JK muted
- Gaff & Rioli & Cam. didn't get up to much
- out on the full kicking - was shocking (yes, I do understand it was wet but we kept going with boundary-bound balll)
- commentary gash frothing over hawks almost winning (boom, suck s**t campaigners)
- 3rd quarter: shocker: seems that's crept in our game again a bit, we had shades of that vs. essendon where we let them get back at us after having our foot on their neck
- at first I credit the umps for letting the game flow, then the tide of Hawk's frees came for very little at all I thought. I said scratching my balls, wondering what it was for half the time. We also got some dubious ones too.
- Hutchings :'( he's a key defender for us: one of our most underrated players (I don't belong to the 'drop Hutchings' crowd)

Me and my best mate are avid sports fans and debated this for years over various sports....whether "clutch" is an ingrained trait or it can be learnt.

This team has proven it CAN absolutely be learnt....... we were the biggest chokers of all time only 2/3 years ago, now we are simply ice in close games

Simmo is simply a genius

Me and my best mate are avid sports fans and debated this for years over various sports....whether "clutch" is an ingrained trait or it can be learnt.

This team has proven it CAN absolutely be learnt....... we were the biggest chokers of all time only 2/3 years ago, now we are simply ice in close games

Simmo is simply a genius

Interesting question. It seems we do have the ability not to give up when, by all rights, it looks hopeless. I also think this is why a lot of supporters from other teams hate us, because we can absolutely steal a game in the dying minutes. This makes us, an already dangerous side, even more difficult to face. The only way to beat us really, is to bury us quarter after quarter relentlessly .. because even a sniff in a half can allow us to come back from 30+ down.

We have some serious seniour players, who after being in a quality side this long and having faith in their ability, can do miraculous things when they're focused and can smell that icing..

That’s the equal most hit outs, NN has had in over 3 years (22 games) pretty fair first game back.

I’m really liking Ryan’s games this years, great intensity, covers a lot of ground, and yet, I think he is still misfiring a bit, and has the potential for things to click for him, and be even more damaging. His efforts have been top class, and has many ‘almost’ moments each game.

POSITIVES
Shuey and Darling lit it up
Cripps and Ryan are guns
Oallen just needs to be in the side, anywhere doesn't matter just keep him in.
Beat Hawks at the G in a torrent.
GUTS- this is what won last year's fair and what will win this years flag. B2B.
NEGATIVES
All the weak pricks on this board having a whinge. Wake up to yourselves.
Hutch doing a hammy. I have never been a Masto hater but he needs to go and he probably won't because Hutch will be out next week. Please give Matty Allen a go and turn this negative onto a positive.
Thought the umps gave us a bit of a bath but we won regardless so.lets call it a positive

Remove this Banner Ad

Back