Review Good/Bad vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Kelly was very good again, been one of our best all year. Is turning into a very important player for us

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah, agree. I reckon he's a sneaky chance for top 5 in the B&F.

Ive really enjoyed his footy this year, which has surprised me given given the shite he served up last year.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Bad - Mackay doing enough to get a game next week. Actually had about 10 touches more than his KPI for another game.

He was feckless. Had no fecks. Not a single feck to give.

Ahh, I love real words that sound naughty.

It was unclear to me whether they were laughing at Gold Coast or just laughing around because there wasn't much pressure in the game any more
Probably laughing how they manage to keep their jobs when they aren't improving the team. Being serious now. I have noticed this season in particular that a majority of our players when they get the ball their first instinct is to handball the ball generally 1 to 2 metres to a flat footed team mate generally completely unaware and surrounded by 3 players. I see it time and time again. They are not taking any responsibility to find space and run with ball. It could be termed "hot potato football". It must be instructed and I bloody hate it. No decent team does it. Please Pyke get this shit out of our game.

Last edited:

I'll probably sit and watch a replay because I have 2 days off.

From the bits I saw I liked the amount of players running through the centre bounce, please include Chayce Jones in that.

But my word our "opponents" are in a world of hurt. I tip my hat to Izak Rankine wanting to hang around.

I'll probably sit and watch a replay because I have 2 days off.

From the bits I saw I liked the amount of players running through the centre bounce, please include Chayce Jones in that.

But my word our "opponents" are in a world of hurt. I tip my hat to Izak Rankine wanting to hang around.
Wasn’t thrilled with Jones today.

Need to invest games though

The fact a team that lost by nearly 100 points wins the free kick count easily shows how bad the current state of it is
I wonder what it'll take for the AFL to realise they made a huge error.

Look at the calibre of player the Giants have lost in recent times. Probably equal to the Suns, Ablett aside, and yet they are making and winning finals.

Wasn’t thrilled with Jones today.

Need to invest games though
Nor was I, but he could've filled his boots tonight. That said he was probably better off playing the Magpies

Good: Stengle, great to see him but let's see how he handles the stronger teams in future games to come. Nice to see a Luke Brown goal. We bounced back with anger after last week's disaster.
Bad and ugly: The Gold Coast Suns are not to AFL standard right now, they'll get better one day but right now they just look totally wasted. At least next week we play against a team (Essendon) that will provide more challenge and we haven't played all that great at home this season, just 4-4 so we desperately need to win our remaining home games and Collingwood in R22 won't be an easy one.

Apparently our coaches were laughing in the box tonight and Dew said that stung them hard
Ch7 cut to Pyke and the rest, showing their reaction (post-goal) after Murphy bounced, ran into the F50 then miskicked, marked by Eddie close to the R-hand goalpost, last quarter. It's the only time I saw them laughing, but maybe Dew saw something else.
My impression was that they were laughing at how flukey it was.

a majority of our players when they get the ball their first instinct is to handball the ball generally 1 to 2 metres to a flat footed team mate generally completely unaware and surrounded by 3 players. I see it time and time again. They are not taking any responsibility to find space and run with ball. It could be termed "hot potato football".
Yeah, happens a lot.
There's a drill they do when training, standing in a circle and handball very quickly with 2 or 3 balls across to each other. I suppose it improves reflexes etc ... but ... they are standing still, handballing to close teammates who are standing still.
Do you reckon that might be the cause?
No coach in his right mind would instruct what you've noticed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably laughing how they manage to keep their jobs when they aren't improving the team. Being serious now. I have noticed this season in particular that a majority of our players when they get the ball their first instinct is to handball the ball generally 1 to 2 metres to a flat footed team mate generally completely unaware and surrounded by 3 players. I see it time and time again. They are not taking any responsibility to find space and run with ball. It could be termed "hot potato football". It must be instructed and I bloody hate it. No decent team does it. Please Pyke get this s**t out of our game.

So do I. Laird really needs to get this out of his game.

Had a look at the replay this morning. Let's be clear, we were playing 18th and GC are absolutely horrid. This means nothing for us and we still need to be ruthless with our team and rotating players in/out of form.

Some of the good:
The forward line functioned well, but under very little pressure - hard to tell if we have made any in-roads.
Milera was electric and allowed to run around like a unregistered dog.
Stengle with 3 on his Crows debut.
Eddie with a bag in junktime.
Smith around the ball, added some good pace and a monster leg.
Kelly continues to prove me wrong. He is now a key piece of our defence and is becoming a bit more aggressive with ball in hand.
Tex was really good I thought. Strong marks, good leading, productive handballs and no 1 handed attempts that I noticed.

Bad:
Knight got plenty of it but burned it badly by foot. I thought his holding the ball was there as he did his classic ducking movement and the umpire called him out on it. He stays in for his effort though I guess..
Mackay was invisible - this is the game you would expect him to flat track it.
Seedsman was really poor.
Few bad umpires calls but who cares.

I hope we don't revert back to our boring, dour, defensive game plan next week against real opposition. Let's back in the aggressive style that works for us. Our forward line is not suitable for a contested game plan as we can't get a contested mark out of of Tex/Jenkins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back