Review Good/Bad vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn’t see the game except for a few minutes.

What was Smith’s role? I saw him in the middle and how did he go?

Ch7 cut to Pyke and the rest, showing their reaction (post-goal) after Murphy bounced, ran into the F50 then miskicked, marked by Eddie close to the R-hand goalpost, last quarter. It's the only time I saw them laughing, but maybe Dew saw something else.
My impression was that they were laughing at how flukey it was.
That was the only time. It wasn't a miskicj by Murphy - I was sitting behind the kick and it went exactly where he intended.

They were marvelling at the brilliance of Betts to make it look so easy.

Classic Pyke in the press conference:

"got the response we were after form the group"

"moved the ball better"

"Pressure was consistent"

"played the way we wanted to"

"the reality is, need to keep winning"

"positive steps forward"

NIce to see the plenty of sweeping under the carpet form the Showdown.
Dumb comment.

Everything he said was exactly what he should say.

Gor umpired out of it!

Was ridiculous
I swear that was premeditated. Utter rubbish. Two big guys holding each other constantly, and the holding/pushing free constantly going against ROB.

Embarrassing umpiring to go with in-the-back constantly paid to GC and then when JJ gets a clear smashing in the back in front of goals - *crickets*.

Had a look at the replay this morning. Let's be clear, we were playing 18th and GC are absolutely horrid. This means nothing for us and we still need to be ruthless with our team and rotating players in/out of form.

Some of the good:
The forward line functioned well, but under very little pressure - hard to tell if we have made any in-roads.
Milera was electric and allowed to run around like a unregistered dog.
Stengle with 3 on his Crows debut.
Eddie with a bag in junktime.
Smith around the ball, added some good pace and a monster leg.
Kelly continues to prove me wrong. He is now a key piece of our defence and is becoming a bit more aggressive with ball in hand.
Tex was really good I thought. Strong marks, good leading, productive handballs and no 1 handed attempts that I noticed.

Bad:
Knight got plenty of it but burned it badly by foot. I thought his holding the ball was there as he did his classic ducking movement and the umpire called him out on it. He stays in for his effort though I guess..
Mackay was invisible - this is the game you would expect him to flat track it.
Seedsman was really poor.
Few bad umpires calls but who cares.

I hope we don't revert back to our boring, dour, defensive game plan next week against real opposition. Let's back in the aggressive style that works for us. Our forward line is not suitable for a contested game plan as we can't get a contested mark out of of Tex/Jenkins.

Agree with all of what youve stated except the last line... jenkins took some great contested grabs last night... one that was against two opponents that the commentators jokingly called “Carey like”!.. but seriously he did take some good grabs and often had a couple of opponents hanging off him when he did..

Agree with all of what youve stated except the last line... jenkins took some great contested grabs last night... one that was against two opponents that the commentators jokingly called “Carey like”!.. but seriously he did take some good grabs and often had a couple of opponents hanging off him when he did..
I liked several tricky if not contested that were a bit out of reach that he clunked instead of fumbling. Looked solid even if oppo was flattering.

Wasn’t in the middle. He was playing as a high pressure half forward who was allowed to squirt around the pack to give some outside run.

Wasn’t worst but wasn’t best, however it was hard to judge as they didn’t apply any pressure. So everyone looked good.

Would leave him in that role for a few more weeks.

Wasn’t in the middle. He was playing as a high pressure half forward who was allowed to squirt around the pack to give some outside run.

Wasn’t worst but wasn’t best, however it was hard to judge as they didn’t apply any pressure. So everyone looked good.

Would leave him in that role for a few more weeks.
He won 2 centre clearances so he must have spent some time in the middle, they can’t be the only 2 centre square ball ups he attended.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It certainly hangs over this board.
What did you expect ? Dancing in the street?

It was a big win against an opponent expected to lose by a big margin

There is a distinct lack of trust in this group.

Yay we won and players beat witches hats but Essendon will test this group and it's culture of flipflopperry

That was the only time. It wasn't a miskicj by Murphy - I was sitting behind the kick and it went exactly where he intended. They were marvelling at the brilliance of Betts to make it look so easy.
Thanks for the clarification. I don't know what Murphy intended.
On TV, looked like he was kicking for goal:
--- long shot, he bounced
--- medium shot, kicked, with no shot of goalsquare, or Betts until ...
--- medium close-up, Betts marks between two GCS players.

I've seen Pyke/assistants/Crows players and even oppo players marvel at Bett's brilliance with hardly-believing laughter and head-shaking. Betts makes the impossible possible.

Bad:

The inequality of the draw. I personally don't know what the answer is, playing a 34 game season seems unreasonable, having conferences throws up its own issues.

Sure it has favoured us this year, being able to beat up on teams like GC and St K twice, but we have been on the end of the opposite where teams are elevated above us on the ladder due to scheduling.

It's a big issue and one the AFL seems to gloss over every year.

Kristof
Ch9 just discussed Pyke-&-assistants laughing on the Footy Show. No mention of Murphy/Betts. Kornes got all serious, said it was disrespectful :rolleyes::rolleyes::drunk::drunk:, but TJ, Brown and Barratt suggested maybe they were just having a joke, or some other harmless context.

Classic Pyke in the press conference:

"got the response we were after form the group"

"moved the ball better"

"Pressure was consistent"

"played the way we wanted to"

"the reality is, need to keep winning"

"positive steps forward"

NIce to see the plenty of sweeping under the carpet form the Showdown.
What do you honestly expect him to say?

He was good! The move to have him and Jnr rotating through the middle was a good one! Of course, tempered by the opposition, can’t really assess until we see it up against pressure, but on face value it looked to be a positive.

He was good! The move to have him and Jnr rotating through the middle was a good one! Of course, tempered by the opposition, can’t really assess until we see it up against pressure, but on face value it looked to be a positive.
Funny that, I know of a poster or two who have been calling for this for a long time

I wonder what it'll take for the AFL to realise they made a huge error.

Look at the calibre of player the Giants have lost in recent times. Probably equal to the Suns, Ablett aside, and yet they are making and winning finals.
GWS took far better uncontracted players to build their team around including their current 2 captains.

No point giving GC more draft picks as they have had plenty. They need quality experienced players, so let them take another uncontracted player or 2 & give them more cap space to attract them til they make finals.

What did you expect ? Dancing in the street?

It was a big win against an opponent expected to lose by a big margin

There is a distinct lack of trust in this group.

Yay we won and players beat witches hats but Essendon will test this group and it's culture of flipflopperry
I'm pretty much with you. Lost all faith for this group to really do anything.

In a year where no team other than maybe Geelong seem like actually dominating, just feel the group is 2 years too late.

Kristof
Ch9 just discussed Pyke-&-assistants laughing on the Footy Show. No mention of Murphy/Betts. Kornes got all serious, said it was disrespectful :rolleyes::rolleyes::drunk::drunk:, but TJ, Brown and Barratt suggested maybe they were just having a joke, or some other harmless context.
Honestly who gives a s**t about Kornes' opinion as it is utterly worthless!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back