Ideal

F: Crumber • Tall • Resting ruck/mid
HF: Medium • Tall • Defensive

Us

F: Small mid • Resting ruck • Small mid
HF: Crumber • CHB • State Leaguer

Great post

I laughed and then cried.

Why can’t anyone associated with the club see that you can’t win without forwards?

We don’t even try two or three talls.

We try one then give up.

It’s ****ing baffling

Well, if I'm getting my own thread, I should put some effort into it...:drunk:

I don't have any claims to being a masterful coach. I played a little bit of footy as a junior; gave it up when it became too stifling to play reserves at midday in the Darwin wet season, as well as being too small, too slow, too timid, too...individual to carry on. But I've watched a hell of a lot of footy in my time, and I have a basic understanding of what works. Which seems to be a whole lot more than an entire, highly-paid, experienced AFL coaching panel...

Forward structure always works best with two key forwards, a resting ruck to take some heat off those KPFs and an assortment of smaller forwards/resting midfielders. This has been proven by time, and most recently evidenced by Richmond last weekend. Evans and Clifford, Hodges and Smith, Dunstall and Brereton - all the great teams had this basic forward structure.

I understand that the modern game is more frenetic, more planned, more robotic. But it is horrible to watch, like going to your son's primary school footy and watching a pack of 40 players following little 10 metre kicks all around the ground. The successful teams, the strong teams, like Richmond, Geelong, Collingwood, at least they have the discipline and common sense to keep their shape, both around packs and in a whole-ground sense.

Port under Hinkley DO NOT DO THIS. They are either exceedingly dumb, or poorly coached, and it is inconceivable that we exclusively recruit dumb players. For 4 seasons now, I have watched as a huge group of Power midfielders barge each other out of the way hunting a contested footy, only to watch the opposition wingers/flankers fly away with it. I have watched our sole KPF parked at CHB as a scrum of defenders and mids hack the ball out of D50, then have to sprint down the ground when by chance we manage to achieve a clean rebound. I have watched those rebounding defenders stop and wait for the forwards (whose heads the ball has just cleared) to bolt to a forward position, all the while the opposition defensive structure is getting time to set itself. I have watched, as in our forward 50, 6 forwards and 10 midfielders tiptoe around trying to find a spare blade of grass to stand on. And it is incredibly frustrating!

I blame the coaches, and Hinkley as head coach must take final responsibility. But this style of play started when Nathan Bassett came onboard, bringing his forward flood that brought Norwood a premiership . This malaise is of his planning, I have no doubt, and because Kenny Bloody Hinkley gave him free rein to implement it, it will cost the head coach his job.

Whoever takes over, and from all reports, I hope it is Schofield, will have a hell of a job to erase the muscle memory of this game plan from our players, but I hope that the first thing he puts into place is a forward structure, similar to what Richmond displayed last Saturday - play two natural KPFs (from what I've seen, this is Dixon and Frampton), with strict instructions that one of them must AT ALL TIMES stay deep inside forward 50, while the other plays a roaming role. I dunno, call it Full-Forward and Centre-Half-Forward, perhaps...?

I don't get it from our club (Hinkley I should say, it's his system) in regards to a forward line. Even two talls who play primarily as forwards would help. Bloody hell local footy sides always play a real full forward, a CHF, and a resting ruckman to provide height and take pressure off the key forwards. Nah not us, we throw Marshall into a role he isn't suited when Dixon was out, shatter his confidence, bring Dixon in off a long lay off, give him no support and then drop him. Oh and drop Dixon for a guy who hates playing primarily as a forward. Would've been a perfect time to play Marshall with Dixon in the side and Howard/Ryder as the third tall.

Then we absolutely balls up Wingard's development (some of that is his fault to) by letting Hinkley tell him he must tackle and chase harder for longer, and the goals would come. Mind you he kicked 40 odd in 2013, Almost 40 in 2014, 50 plus in 2015 before Hinkley Hinkley'd him up and our only other match winner/game changer besides Robbie Gray left the club.

Then factor in Frampton getting no games when he deserves them (I'm aware the past 2 he is suspended), never gave Butcher a chance to chop Schultz out in that run and god knows what other tall forwards we have never given a look in.

* me no wonder we struggle to score.

And I was going to as an aside that it's ok to make threads now about things that don't exist?
TBF, I didn't start the thread, I just posted the OP as a post in the melt thread and a mod morphed it into it's own thread

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeez I was born 20 years too late.

Some of the footy I saw through the 70s, 80s and 90s was breathtaking.

Almost took it for granted. Magpies expect to win wasn't a slogan, it was a way of life.

We'll kick no more than 6 goals this week - guarantee it.
Knowing the history of Hinkley, we will come out and win, and then rather than improving the side and understanding the need for greater balance, then next week he will go to the well again and it will fail.

He does this time and time again. Tries something risky that works once and then tries to stick with it the next week. It then proceeds to fail. And to be honest, most of those risky calls don't even work, but the ones that do reinforce his pig headed ideas, rather than being taken for the one off's they were.

Ken's like a roulette player who chucks all his money on black, it wins, and then he just decides to let it all ride, time after time until he inevitably loses. Mind you he's showing with Sutcliffe he's also the type that'd see red come up 3 times, start betting on black, and just keep getting till black comes up, regardless of the cost.

Ken's like a roulette player who chucks all his money on black, it wins, and then he just decides to let it all ride, time after time until he inevitably loses. Mind you he's showing with Sutcliffe he's also the type that'd see red come up 3 times, start betting on black, and just keep getting till black comes up, regardless of the cost.

The Sutcliffe analogy doesn't translate, because in roulette there's still a 50/50 chance that betting on black will work. Selecting Sutcliffe three weeks in a row is more like heading to the roulette wheel and going all-in on blue.

The Sutcliffe analogy doesn't translate, because in roulette there's still a 50/50 chance that betting on black will work. Selecting Sutcliffe three weeks in a row is more like heading to the roulette wheel and going all-in on blue.
Too true.

I was more saying that he knows the gamble has lost, but he's just going to keep chasing a win no matter what.

Sutcliffe has been nothing but a monumental mistake, and it's baffling he is being persisted with.

This thread is spot on, and this issue probably is why we are so annoyed with Hinkley. (more so than the Primus era). Footy is entertainment after all, and we are so far from entertaining.

I wonder what it would be like to be a port forward. How would you know when to lead? With all that extra handball chaos coming from the midfield. Just wait for the inevitable rushed bomb and hope.

Should have given Sutcliffe jumper # 00.

Ideal

F: Crumber • Tall • Resting ruck/mid
HF: Medium • Tall • Defensive

Us

F: Small mid • Resting ruck • Small mid
HF: Crumber • CHB • State Leaguer
oh snap !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back