Player Watch Daniel Wells, (New role at the Club #3261)

Remove this Banner Ad

No way Wells comes straight into the AFL. He isn’t even a definite to be fit for the VFL.

10 minutes a quarter? Lmao. You cannot carry a bloke playing 40 minutes in the AFL. This isn’t local footy people.

Why the * would anyone in their right mind rush Wells back for a nothing game against Melbourne? Theres simply no reason to risk not having him for finals for that.

We need him for 2-3 weeks max this year. prelim + GF. Let him get fitness and be ready then.

He's not that good he makes you a 5 goal better side. That's a pretty enormous impact. You're not using that expression right. Just because a player might kick 2 and set up 3 isn't making you a 5 goal better side. Anyone who can make their team a 5 goal better side is an absolute superstar. Eddie Betts might have a hand in 5 goals but he doesn't make them a 5 goal better side simply because of his inclusion. Use the saying right.
Eddie Betts - well you drank the cool aide didn't you?

And yes Wells can have enormous impact despite what you think.

I have read it... but can't believe it....

Wells fighting to make a return THIS WEEKEND!

Holy mother, finally some good news :)
Best of luck Wellsy, if anyone deserves to have Lady Luck looking over them it’s him. Would be a nice trump card in September.

He takes Thomas spot this week.

His body has three weeks to show if it is capable.

Prove me wrong Daniel.

If Wells make us a 5 goal better team, how many goals better does De Goey or Grundy make us? 10 each?

You don't understand the expression.
Statistically Stephenson makes us a 4 goal better side.

Very unfortunate that despite our game this Sunday in the VFL, we've got a bye the week after.

I would've said he plays 60-odd percent in the VFL this week and anywhere 75 percent plus the week after before a return against Essendon... but we may have to be bolder than that.

Honestly just play him 75 percent game time in the VFL. AFL the week after.

He doesn’t play before finals, the VFL bye really hurts his chances.

Normally with his history whenever you think he is ready to play VFL you wait another 2wks, he plays 4wks VFL then consider him for AFL.

He waits another 2wks then plays the last VFL game. If we cop more injuries then he plays wk 1 of finals and we hope to get at least 3qtrs out of him before he breaks down.

Statistically Stephenson makes us a 4 goal better side.

That's about as high as influence one player could have. When you say a player makes us x goals better it doesn't mean they could contribute in x amount of goals. That assumes the player he replaces offers exactly nothing. The wind can make you a 2-3 goal better side, and forwards shouldn't be rated as bigger ins just because they kick the goals doesn't make them more important. Backmen can make you x goals better.

That's about as high as influence one player could have. When you say a player makes us x goals better it doesn't mean they could contribute in x amount of goals. That assumes the player he replaces offers exactly nothing. The wind can make you a 2-3 goal better side, and forwards shouldn't be rated as bigger ins just because they kick the goals doesn't make them more important. Backmen can make you x goals better.
I'd say 4 goals is significantly more than any one player's influence. If you added Tony Lockett, Gary Ablett, Greg Williams, Chris Judd, Andrew Macleod, James Hird, Gavin Wanganeen and Peter Matera to a team, that team would be much much better and would win the premiership in a canter, but not 8 players times 4 goals - 32 goals better. They wouldn't win by 200 points every week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say 4 goals is significantly more than any one player's influence. If you added Tony Lockett, Gary Ablett, Greg Williams, Chris Judd, Andrew Macleod, James Hird, Gavin Wanganeen and Peter Matera to a team, that team would be much much better and would win the premiership in a canter, but not 8 players times 4 goals - 32 goals better. They wouldn't win by 200 points every week.

Yeah that's what I mean by this. Saying Wells would make us 5 goals better is false, even if he kicks 5 goals.

He doesn’t play before finals, the VFL bye really hurts his chances.

Normally with his history whenever you think he is ready to play VFL you wait another 2wks, he plays 4wks VFL then consider him for AFL.

He waits another 2wks then plays the last VFL game. If we cop more injuries then he plays wk 1 of finals and we hope to get at least 3qtrs out of him before he breaks down.
Nah. He's a complete bonus if he makes it back. No cotton wool. He needs some AFL time. Play him VFL this week, if he gets through, give him the last two weeks in the AFL. Then make a decision on finals.

I wouldn't give him more than 1 week in the VFL. No point nursing him now. He needs at least 2 weeks at AFL level pre-finals. We just need to get him through a few more weeks, and then he'll retire. He'll also get a bye before the finals which will help.

We'll also have Stephenson, De Goey and Moore coming into the side off very little prep. We can't go bringing in too many guys without match conditioning. If Wells wants to play finals, he'll need 2 weeks at AFL level. The time for conservatism has passed. If he breaks down, then it's better he does it now than in a crunch finals game.

Just fantastic to see he's a chance.

I'm thinking 2 games in the VFL and then a run against Essendon in the final round. If he makes it through (fingers crossed) we have one A grader back.

Only 1 VFL game between now and the Essendon game. We've got a VFL bye in between.

I wouldn't give him more than 1 week in the VFL. No point nursing him now. He needs at least 2 weeks at AFL level pre-finals. We just need to get him through a few more weeks, and then he'll retire. He'll also get a bye before the finals which will help.

We'll also have Stephenson, De Goey and Moore coming into the side off very little prep. We can't go bringing in too many guys without match conditioning. If Wells wants to play finals, he'll need 2 weeks at AFL level. The time for conservatism has passed. If he breaks down, then it's better he does it now than in a crunch finals game.
Will be interesting to see what happens with his selection. Bucks intimated on the radio this morning that with the VFL bye next week, he basically had to come back this week.

My uneducated guess is he plays VFL this weekend, recovers, does a bit more conditioning, doesn't play Adelaide, then gets picked for Essendon. Likely that the Essendon match is going to be a dead rubber anyway. That way, with the finals bye, at least he will get a chance to build in some conditioning. Playing him 3 weeks in a row (VFL, then two games) on his limited base might see him pretty banged up. I trust the conditioning staff will get this right!

Last edited:
Gotta hand it to him. Once teh season started to turn sour, it would have been easy to roll over and say it was too hard. I hope he gets up - if he does and we manage to get Darcy, JDG and Stevo back - its game on

Agree mate. Chuck Aishy (Plays such an underrated and important role similar to Greenwood) & Sier in there too and we could cause abit of trouble :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back