Player Watch Daniel McStay (Injured His Knee #1370)

Remove this Banner Ad

Made it to 47 outstanding posts.

Heroically, he was prepared to push on, but fell bravely in the line of fire.

He will be remembered in this thread. Not sure as what exactly, or for how long... but still.
If ever there was a suspension to save one from themselves, this had to be it.

Initial thoughts on McStay news:
  • Frampton as defensive Fwd all year on best tall interceptor while surrounded by speedy smalls
  • Kruegs, AJ, Reef ,who will rise up
  • McStay makes return b4 finals
  • Get best tall clunker not on Afl list
  • Fast track Steenes fwd craft development
  • Play a small forward line all year with focus on ground balls and fast leads
  • Cox and Cameron more time up forward

I never want to see Frampton in our forward line again. It worked - sort of - in the GF because Brisbane initially thought they needed to play him some respect. Once they realised that they didn’t, Andrews started roaming higher up the ground and became very influential. Nobody will make that mistake again.

I rate Frampton as a ruck and key defender but playing him forward in 2024 will be like playing with one player less than the opposition.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Without mcstay we would not of made granny

His done a Tom Boyd.

Unfortunately I don't think he will play many games in the black and white

Absolutely devastating

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah. If we had Murphy play more than a quarter, McStay and Adams (terrific finals record), we would have won the GF by 8-10 goals.

Not to mention the two goals brisbane got from terrible umpiring mistakes…. The 50 against Markov and the non 50 to cox.

I don’t see Reef structurally as a key position forward (though I do like him) so I think it’s going to be largely between Kreuger and Johnson to step up in McStay’s absence.

I also don’t think it’s likely that any key position forward type we could get through SSP would be likely to be ready to play senior football level this year.

I really hope we have someone make that step up - he is going to be hard to cover.
Reefer is the perfect guy. He's got the Jeremy Cameron about him. The forward line is dangerous as it is. No doubt big loss, but this is opportunity all round, for the guys already on the list and for the recruiting dept. to lure someone or find a young guy and develop him. Anyway, September is 10 months away, DMac hopefully will cherry ripe by then. CFCB2B24

Does anyone think ACL's tend to happen more often in pre-season/ early season? I recall Schaz doing one of his pre-season and players from other clubs doing them early on too. Possibly the early strain on them

Does anyone think ACL's tend to happen more often in pre-season/ early season? I recall Schaz doing one of his pre-season and players from other clubs doing them early on too. Possibly the early strain on them

Not sure there is any evidence of that, NicNat (a few years ago) and off the top of my head this year Ashcroft, Murray, Milkshake's all happened pretty late in the year.

Very few studies to support any opinion along those lines.

Being female is a risk factor as is participating in "footy-like" sports. 🤷‍♂️

Generally in pre-season they happen when the grounds are drier and the blokes are up and running and fitter and faster, so closer to the 1st round. This seems like an innouous incident.

I won’t be surprised to see McStay aiming for August return. Will do everything in his power to get back closer to that 9 month timeframe.

Media love the ‘season over’ headline, but depending on severity athletes can and do return in that 8-10 month timeframe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back