Player Watch Daniel McStay (Injured His Knee #1370)

Remove this Banner Ad

The 50 against Markov was there unfortunately. The umpire called 'stand' and markov ran backwards

The non-50 to Cox was horrible though
Even the most contentious decision, the play on call in the dying minutes was ticked off as correct call on the umps report card by the guy who analyses the games for the AFL/umpires dept. (I know the guy that reviews for them).

The 50 against Markov was there unfortunately. The umpire called 'stand' and markov ran backwards

The rule is ****ed. You take a step backwards behind the mark and your penalised. That is just ****ed to begin with. Markov was backing up before he was told to stand still and had momentum. That does not warrant copping a goal in any game let alone a gf. The rules are ****ed. The umpire had to go hang on he's moving back let him stop and I'll tell him where the mark is. Rather than watch him moving back and saying stop. Serious.

The rule is ****ed. You take a step backwards behind the mark and your penalised. That is just ****ed to begin with. Markov was backing up before he was told to stand still and had momentum. That does not warrant copping a goal in any game let alone a gf. The rules are ****ed. The umpire had to go hang on he's moving back let him stop and I'll tell him where the mark is. Rather than watch him moving back and saying stop. Serious.
The cox one is also ****ed because one year you had to be outside protected area the next you can be right beside the kicker. If someone is in your blindspot you are ****ed. The cox one was less controversial for mine.

We've had decades of bad luck - 1964, 1966, 1970, 1977, 1979, 1981, 2018, Greening, Millane, etc........
True, before this we had decades of good luck. The tides have turned again. Good luck is back.
Look at Essendon and Carlton.

Cycles

We were due for some bad luck.

The gods were protecting us on GF day when Naicos bent his knee awkwardly.

Debt collection?
I think we've had more than our fair share of bad luck.

As for recently..Dan missing the GF. Adams injuring his hamstring during the finals. Nick injured in the later part of the year. Murphy subbed off in the 1st qtr.

Last edited:
True, before this we had decades of good luck. The tides have turned again. Good luck is back.
Look at Essendon and Carlton.

Cycles
Hopefully the trend of apparent good luck results in the club finding some talented young key position players at both ends sooner rather than later. No doubt there are doubts about Murphy going forward & Jeremy Howe must be getting close to the end while we all know the current problems in relation to the 2 key forward positions. Alternatively, some creative & left-of-centre trading & recruiting might be able to secure a similar outcome. Touch wood. Goodbye & good luck.

Very likely we win with Ashy

Bad luck to Dan :( he left us but we're still fond of the big lug
1701590997115.png 1701591230205.png
Lose Founding Father GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am still on cloud 9 too, but want to see back to back. Once the new season starts 2023 fades pretty quickly.
I tend to agree. If the new season starts and we have a few losses the gloss wears off a bit even though they cannot take this off us. I hate the thought of September coming around next year and they are crowning a new premier like the farking Blues.

The afl announced the 50m against Markov as the only umpiring error of the GF didn’t they?

Edit: what others have said.

Last edited:
Krak done his in a praccy game in early 2012 and returned by finals to kick 4 against Hawthorn in the qualifying final. Each individual is different. One thing is for sure is that he'll have the best person to guide him through in Wadey and let him know if a 2024 return is possible

Krak had a donor tendon so didn’t have the typical hammy issues which would have expedited his recovery.

Edit: what everyone else said.

Can't be bothered reading too far back in this thread, but just want to mention that we have lost any real use of the first two years of McStay thanks to his injuries, and at 28 now he is only getting older every year. He will be 29 next year with three years left on his contract. Huge blow to our repeat premiership chances in my opinion and also puts him in a category of players we hoped to largely put behind us - those who succumb to one injury after another.

Any injury is a difficulty we need to work through. Got through McStay, Howe and Lipinski missing early this year.

Any injury is a difficulty we need to work through. Got through McStay, Howe and Lipinski missing early this year.
It's heart-breaking when a key player is gone for the season by the 2nd day of training, particularly after he missed the GF, with a possession-less blanket deemed his only real replacement option.

McStay's a more devastating loss than the others you mentioned - at least those players saw some footy early and made it back into the team later in the season. The only salvaging factor would be if Johnson or Kreuger can capably fill his spot this season.

It's heart-breaking when a key player is gone for the season by the 2nd day of training, particularly after he missed the GF, with a possession-less blanket deemed his only real replacement option.

McStay's a more devastating loss than the others you mentioned - at least those players saw some footy early and made it back into the team later in the season. The only salvaging factor would be if Johnson or Kreuger can capably fill his spot this season.

Even with Johnson and McInnes unavailable through injury, Frampton wasn’t the “only real replacement”. Kreuger was still available as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back