• No - let’s keep him

Votes: 39 56.5%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Yes - let’s do a trade

Votes: 27 39.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Betts is one of the best things thats happened to this club both onfield and off-field.
IMO he should play most of next year alongside Stengle and McHenry (hopefully together with McAdam Fogarty and Walker making up our forward 6.
He is still easy top 22 player and just needs others alongside hin and for the forward line coach to play him (and Stengle) close to goals - keep Betts, sack Hart, sack our structure)
After 2020 unless he really just wants to go back to Melbourne, we should move heaven and earth to keep him at our club in an off-field role he wants and pay him properly.

If he and Fogarty both depart end of this season, i’ll personally go blow up our hq

I would set a plan in place to rest Betts throughout the year so he can continue to play at his best.

Even on his bad days he is outperforming Lachie Murphy so I think he would be best 22 for at least next year

You know that we don’t do that. Reality is that neither should be in our side on output. But Lachie might improve and could play as a small defender. Next year we should have McAdam fit enough, Stengle, plus any of our existing 3 first rounders to fit in plus we know even a pick 3 midfielder will be needing a forward pocket spot to open up to get their taste of AFL action. If he wants to stay, I’m happy with that, but he cannot be guaranteed any games at all. And if we tell him that, I’m more than happy to make it easy to get him where he wants to be.

There are two questions really.

Should we let him go? maybe no (though largely given our list profile, probably still yes).

Should we let him go? Hard yes.

We should let him go if he wants to go because he deserves the opportunity to enjoy his football, and because our 'no young players' policy limits any benefit from having him as a mentor- see the lack of games for Stengle with him for instance.

His form hasn’t warranted 14-16 games this year. He’s been great, but if he’s after guaranteed game time then he should go with our absolute best wishes. We can’t guarantee him game time for fear of public backlash and we certainly can’t offer him another year if he’s keen on that too.
Fair call , if we were not such an old , slow team especially in the forward line then maybe my argument would carry more weight but i would rather keep him for a year and be rid of Douglas , Mackay , Otten , JJ , Jacobs etc .

He is cooked.

Are we ruthless? Heck no. So he’ll stay. Should be moved on though.
The head says you're right

The heart is still bruised from seeing absolute club heart, spirit and soul players like Shaun Rehn and Tony Modra finish their careers elsewhere.

If he stays we have to get rid of the club destroying 'best 22' blinkers. He'd need to play selected games to stay fresh, like Hodge has done.

If someone else wants to offer him another year, who are we to stand in his way?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still think there is a roll for him to play. Both he and the club need to agree to it and need the forward line operating as it should if the departure comes it has to be amicable and not pushed out, but given what has happened within the club the last couple of years I think it makes it easier for him to leave and can’t blame him

I'm also questioning whether Betts is really cooked

Walker looked cooked as all hell earlier this year. We drop Jenkins, start delivering it to him and suddenly there is life left.

Are our structures, thanks to Ben Hart, making Betts look worse than he really is?

I'd want to see one final season from Betts before making that call. Get the right mix of players around him (that means playing both him and Stengle in the same side, bloody muppett coaches) and fix up the structure.

If after that he's cooked, so be it

I'm also questioning whether Betts is really cooked

Walker looked cooked as all hell earlier this year. We drop Jenkins, start delivering it to him and suddenly there is life left.

Are our structures, thanks to Ben Hart, making Betts look worse than he really is?

I'd want to see one final season from Betts before making that call. Get the right mix of players around him (that means playing both him and Stengle in the same side, bloody muppett coaches) and fix up the structure.

If after that he's cooked, so be it
He's lost his hands below his knees. Rarely takes a clean one touch possession any more that he used to hoover up.

He's lost his hands below his knees. Rarely takes a clean one touch possession any more that he used to hoover up.

I agree he has lost some of his touch. But we are so slow to get it in, he has no space to work his magic like he used to pre 2018

No. Speak to some ex Crows players how Modra leaving hurt our culture for years.
You're confused.

The question isn't: Shall we force Betts out?

The question is: If another club makes Betts an offer to extend his career on the condition he breaks his current contract with us, should we let him go?

Hard for him to play well when he is being poorly coached. Unfortunately he plays in one of those spots where if the team isn’t doing well, neither will he. Fix the team and you fix Eddie.

Off field he is a true leader not only for his club but the community. Adelaide the club and the city will be poorer without him.

There are two questions really.

Should we let him go? maybe no (though largely given our list profile, probably still yes).

Should we let him go? Hard yes.

We should let him go if he wants to go because he deserves the opportunity to enjoy his football, and because our 'no young players' policy limits any benefit from having him as a mentor- see the lack of games for Stengle with him for instance.
Very good point. If he wants to go because where he's going will offer a couple more years etc and the leaving is mutual and happy, then go with our best wishes, he's been amazing for us and I'll hate seeing him play for someone else but life does move on.

But if we are pushing him to leave then....

tenor.png

Back