Preview Round 23- Lions v Tigers. Sunday 25th August 2019 3.20pm MCG.

Who wins and by how much?

• Lions by 1 to 9.

Votes: 21 14.3%
  • Lions by 10 to 29.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • Lions by 30 to 49.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Lions by 50+

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Tigers by 1 to 9.

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Tigers by 10 to 29.

Votes: 46 31.3%
  • Tigers by 30 to 49.

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • Tigers by 50+

Votes: 5 3.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Who would have thought we would be going into the final round of the season 1st on the ladder? What a fantastic season it has been, from 5 wins last season to a yet unfinished 16 wins this season. Kudos to Chris Fagan, David Noble, Greg Swan, the welfare department, medical/rehab teams and the rest of the coaching and administration group.
728822 LETS PAY HOMAGE TO OUR 3 MESSIAHS.
giphy.gif

We will be going into this game knowing what we need to do, if we beat the Tigers we will finish 1st or 2nd and guarantee ourselves 2 home finals and the very real possibility of not leaving the Gabba until Grand Final day, a lot still to play for.
728852 V 728855

The Tigers play a totally different brand of footy to the Cats so we will need to adjust. They play a surge the ball forward in numbers game, if you lift the pressure on them they can hurt you and hurt you quickly, we will have to bring our best defensive pressure around the ball and cut off those quick handball chains of possession in numbers, if we can do this I think we can force them into one too many handballs and get them on the turnover.

Match ups-
Marcus Adams > Jack Reiwoldt.
Harris Andrews > Tom Lynch.
Jarrod Berry > Dustin Martin.
In Answerth/Rich/Hodge/Gardiner I think we have the mix that can keep their smalls quiet. I also think we have the midfield to match them. On a good note they do not have an obvious match up for Charlie Cameron, could very likely get off the chain again. I like the mix in our forward 50 to keep them occupied, although we will have to improve on what we did v the Cats and not bomb it long so often or Grimes, Astbury and co will zone off and intercept it. I'm confident we will have learnt some quick lessons from the Cats game re this.

Changes- From the presser it looks like it will only be Allen Christensen out. Chris Fagan was saying that Darcy's shoulder was just a stinger and he should be fine.

Out- Allen Christensen(Hamstring)

In- Cedric Cox/Ben Keays.

I'll reserve judgment on who comes in until after the NEAFL game tomorrow, if Cedric has another good game I'd bring him in for Bundy otherwise reward Ben Keays for a very consistent reserves season, he has been banging on the selection table all year.

How we win > (KISS)-

Once the basic game structure and style has been bedded down really well which I think ours has been very quickly by Fagan and co I think footy is a pretty simple game so IMO if we bring the heat, desire and intensity with a good helping of composure we have the players/weapons/structure that can get the job done against any team in the competition.

I have included a poll for those that want to predict how much we win by. :D

Liiiiiiiiiiiioooooooooooooooooons!

A pre-finals final at the G against genuine contenders. What a way to end an amazing home and away season. Perfect chance to get a feel of what it will be like on the big stage, hope they soak it in, don't get over-awed and do what they've been doing so well this year. Giddy with excitement already.

Almost certainly out of Cox, Taylor and Keays for the change. Personally would love to bring Cox in because of the real X-factor he possesses but he probably also carries the most risk of being quiet. Taylor would be a better in than Keays imo for that HF role.

Last edited:
Almost certainly out of Cox, Taylor and Keays for the change. Personally would love to bring Cox in because of the real X-factor he possesses but he probably also carries the most risk of being quite. Taylor would be a better in than Keays imo for that HF role.
Whilst the seniors side has been pretty stable in recent weeks, an opportunity could present for any NEAFL player to be playing AFL finals, so tomorrow will be interesting.

I'd probably also add Mathieson to the mix of Taylor, Cox, Keays depending on how Fagan wants to go in and / or re-shuffle the decks a little; if at all.

Looking forward to this match.

Think I will pick the Big O to get 3 goals. McStay will also get 3

and Charles will have 6 shots, but score 5.1 :D Nah I think some of the fast Tigers may match up on him well, so hopefully Hippy and McStay can be big markers

I think Squizzy as well but more as a high half forward. Should be suited to a bigger ground

I always like Squizzy although not sure he get the nod. Bundy been all about tackle and pressure.
Tackles last few week 7,5,5,5,5
Be Keays or Matho. Long term weather forecast is 14 and rain. So that mean Matho.
Would love Cox to get the gig or even Tom Berry or C Lyons debut.
Although still think it be Matho

I always like Squizzy although not sure he get the nod. Bundy been all about tackle and pressure.
Tackles last few week 7,5,5,5,5
Be Keays or Matho. Long term weather forecast is 14 and rain. So that mean Matho.
Would love Cox to get the gig or even Tom Berry or C Lyons debut.
Although still think it be Matho

Just don't see Matho having the speed to pull off the role.

Also don't think Keays has shown enough to be ahead of Taylor in that spot either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just don't see Matho having the speed to pull off the role.

Also don't think Keays has shown enough to be ahead of Taylor in that spot either.
Completely agree, matho makes no sense unless Zorko plays more forward time which I don’t see happening. Christensen has had a great last 6-8 weeks and we need someone to fill his high pressure role while being able to kick goals.

Haven’t watched enough of the reserves in the past 6-8 weeks to make a judgement on who’s best placed.

been injury free all year. not the time to start getting them.
Still think Keays or Matho..
really like Taylor although defensive and pressure not his strongest parts. More a link player who has a good finish.
I was hoping he keep his place when he came back last time.
Probably depends what we want and how we reshuffle.

Was also concerning that Charlie was grabbing at his hamstring before he kicked his second in the third quarter. He obviously played the game out ok, but I'm curious if it is related to the reason he had a fitness test before the game.

My vote is Charlie was tested pregame for his hammy so the clutching during the game is heart stopping.

He is absolutely essential to our finals campaign, and I’d go as far as say essential to us winning.

Beating Richmond will be great but I’d sacrifice that win for a full blown finals tilt with Charlie at full strength. So I wouldn’t mind resting him next week + bye gives him max chance of making it through finals.

Last edited:
Out: Christensen (Injured) and Rayner (Omitted)
In: Keays and Bastinac

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl/2019/08/17/gbubrisgeel

I know you've got an almost personal vendetta against Rayner at the moment, but I can't imagine you're actually serious about making any unforced changes to this team.

Being honest, it feels like you've spent this season focussing on every negative thing Rayner (and McStay for that matter) does, which I suppose is your right, but it just seems a very cynical and unenjoyable way to experience the year we've all been waiting for.

Cam didn't have a great game today. But he wasn't our worst. And I would've thought the way Linc won the game for us would be the perfect proof as to why you keep players like him and Rayner in even if their form isn't always on.

As Fages said post match - it's the sort of players who can have big moments even if they haven't had big games. That's what finals is about. And I think everyone on here would agree that Rayner is more capable of that than probably anybody playing in the NEAFL at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back