Cricket Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Sneaky suspicion that if we don't get another wicket soon then they'll get home, only need another 160 odd runs.

I will actually laugh if Australia lose this test due to the lack of firepower in its bowling attack.

The decision to continually overlook Starc is getting ridiculous now. Cummins is good, Hazelwood is a good bowler, but pattinson and his benign half trackers were never going to bother England too much, and really just serve to release any pressure being built at the other end.

Langer loves his honest toilers. Not playing Starc so far this series would be like Richmond choosing to go into a final with Dusty Martin omitted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Br
Once again Australia loose what was there for the winning. Stokes' performance had shades of Botham about it. Well done to England Australia still hold the Ashes but need to regroup.
Stokes makes Botham look like a park cricketer - he's an absolute colossus.

Br

Stokes makes Botham look like a park cricketer - he's an absolute colossus.

I would not go that far. Ian Botham was pretty good. Why is it that England can find world class all rounders yet Australia never get one? You probably have to go back to Keth Miller to find an Australian all rounder that ranks with Botham or Stokes.

Lol how long till they cut the bulls**t and make Smith captain again. What an absolute ferkin D I S G R A C E. Very funny.
I doubt there would've been much difference if Smith was captain. He was a terrible, unimaginative captain.

Meanwhile, Joel Wilson makes sure that AFL umpires don't even come close to being the most useless officials going around.

Why is it that England can find world class all rounders yet Australia never get one?
Because we limit the search to one country?

Unbelievable innings by Ben Stokes.

Batted against his natural grain and was slow but thorough until that 9th wicket fell. Then exploded.

The best or 2nd best innings I have seen in Test Cricket given the pressure.

In early 1999 I stayed up all night from midnight to 8am to watch Brian Lara make 153 not out to beat Steve Waugh's Aussie's in Barbados they made 9/311. Started the last day about 1 or 2 not out and Windies were about 3/80. Bowling for Oz was Warne, McGill, McGrath and Gillespie.

Last edited:
Watched Stokes live for the first time in the 2nd test at the 3/4 finished Adelaide Oval test in 2013-14. It was his debut test he batted at 7 and in the 2nd innings made 30ish and stood up to Mitchell Johnson, when other pommie batsmen were cowering to him. Oz won by 200 odd runs, and won the series 5-0. He made an impression on me back then. What a summer Big Ben has had.

Some stats for that Stokes innings

Started the day 2 not out off 46 balls Eng 3/153 72 overs
Lunch 32 off 119 balls Eng 4/238 off 96 overs

50 off 152 balls (6 x 4, 1 x 6) Eng 6/261 off 105 overs

Archer out last ball of 115th over 8/286 Stokes 61 off 174 balls, batmen crossed on catch then
Broad faced next 2 balls the out so 9/286 115.2 overs and 73 needed to win

So Stokes
61 off 174 balls (7 x 4, 1 x 6)

then
100 off 199 balls (8 x 4, 5 x 6)
finished
135 n.o. off 219 balls (11 x 4, 8 x 6) at 125.4 overs

Last wicket partnership 10.2 overs for 76 runs
Stokes 74 off 45 balls 4 x 4 + 7 x 6
Leach 1 off 17 balls - the run to tie the game at 9/358
wide 1 run

Last edited:
From Cricinfo's commentary section at end of the game.

4.20pm: How do you follow up the World Cup final? Well, by finishing 135 not out to complete England's highest-ever successful fourth-innings run chase, with only the last man for company, that's how! Headingley is a cauldron, the Australians are queuing up to shake Stokes hand, and we have seen something extraordinary! The second-highest tenth-wicket stand to win a Test, and Stokes did it almost single-handedly - scoring 74 of 76, to Leach's one! And all this after being bowled out for 67 in the first innings; making this the fourth-lowest total from which a team has gone on to win (all the others came in the 19th century). Forget about the missed run-out, forget about the dodgy lbw decision and the burned review, and let's just be thankful we were alive on this day to witness a finish like that.

Stokes is the real GOAT, what a player and man for the occasion.

That has a genuine claim to be the best innings of all time. The discipline he showed was incredible and then to go into beast mode at the end...

Watched Stokes live for the first time in the 2nd test at the 3/4 finished Adelaide Oval test in 2013-14. It was his debut test he batted at 7 and in the 2nd innings made 30ish and stood up to Mitchell Johnson, when other pommie batsmen were cowering to him. Oz won by 200 odd runs, and won the series 5-0. He made an impression on me back then. What a summer Big Ben has had.

Yeah remember that and then followed up by his final day ton on a crack ridden WACA wicket against all odds & the fire of a dominant Johnson & Harris. May have been a year or so later, but his next amazing test innings was a ton on the first day at Lords against Boult & Southee completely turning that test around. Then another year or two and he hits one of the msot feakish innings of all time with 258 in South Africa, again against a high quality bowling lineup. I don't know there's anyone who elevates their game as much as he does when coming up against the best and in situations of need.

A bizarre test but a great one, how beautifully does it set the series up now!

I don't think Australia need to throw the baby out with the bathwater, the fast bowler selections were sound in theory and the correct move. But poor performance from all, particularly Lyon on the final day.

I thought they should have retained Bancroft for this test. But likely all they can do now is bring Smith in for Harris and elevate Khawaja to opener.

Paine will be subject to much teeth gnashing over the next week or so. I would feel though that dropping him for Smith and having Wade keep is a baby meet bathwater moment for now though. But another poor test and it may have to be done.

I love footy but for sustained tension, cricket is unparalleled!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back