Shattered, onto 2020. Where now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Midfield coach I’d think, Grundy would be playing as instructed and how we’ve set up tactically. We’re not taking advantage of his dominance and the connection between ruck and mids needs to be addressed.
No a ruck coach, his tapping needs work. Very predictable, the mid coach would then advise the set up and postiioning.

We lack depth. Unless our best 22 plays, which will rarely happen, we won't win a GF with this list. We aren't far off but we ARE off.

We badly need a Key forward and Cox isn't it. Add De Goey and Beams and maybe we beat GWS but I think Richmoind still get us. Players Like Aish and Scarenberg need to be replacements for the 22-25th best players not competing for a best 22 spot. Players like Brown, Phillips, Roughead and Mayne need to be fighting to get into the 22 not automatic selections. That difference has to come from players not on the list. The VFL side this year showed we don;t have much in the shed. Maybe Daicos squeezes into the 22 next year but he can't make a material diferenece given our midfield.

When have we ever had our best 22? I'd argue our depth stacks up against anyone else in the league. Our injury profile of the last two years would be bottom 4, and yet we have finished top 4. There aren't many other teams doing that. We just need some luck with the health (and common sense- looking at you Stephenson) of our list.

Richmond had the worst injury profile in the first half of the year and credit to them, they've recovered all of those players and got 8-10 games in most of them. That's good management but also an element of luck.

Dry weather game yesterday and GWS would not have won. That's an element of luck.

Luck plays a big part, we've had some, but not enough to go the next step.

Apart from the on field issues, we need less distractions from and around the squad.
I though we lacked a fair bit of intent yesterday, apart from the last qtr. when the horse had bolted. maybe things are a bit too nice and comfy at the Holden Centre?

No a ruck coach, his tapping needs work. Very predictable, the mid coach would then advise the set up and postiioning.
He was an awesome goliath yesterday, but jeez it did my head in in the last few minutes that he kept knocking it at his feet, where they kept locking it in. Needed to smash a couple clear of the maul to get the ball into space

When have we ever had our best 22? I'd argue our depth stacks up against anyone else in the league. Our injury profile of the last two years would be bottom 4, and yet we have finished top 4. There aren't many other teams doing that. We just need some luck with the health (and common sense- looking at you Stephenson) of our list.

Richmond had the worst injury profile in the first half of the year and credit to them, they've recovered all of those players and got 8-10 games in most of them. That's good management but also an element of luck.

Dry weather game yesterday and GWS would not have won. That's an element of luck.

Or just accept we're the master of our own destiny - and not chalk it all up to 'luck'?

Pardon the intrusion. Just a shout out to Bucks and the way he has conducted himself this year. I have to admit that as an opposition supporter that I was never a fan when he was a player because of the FIGJAM image. But he sure has won me over. If ever a guy deserves a flag it's him. Humble in victory, a decent level headed bloke in defeat. He doesn't whinge when you lose, unlike Chris Scott, and pays credit where it's due and generally seems calm when in the box.

I hope you keep him around long enough for him to get the ultimate, over due reward.

Narrow defeats in a GF and a Prelim. No need to throw the baby out with the bath water yet. Cheers.

Left field suggestion, if we can't land a key forward which is doubtful and if we're fair dinkum we should leave no stone unturned in enticing either J Cameron or B Brown, or could we try Grundy at FF and switch Cox as our ruck who is a good tap ruckman, with Darcy Cameron as another option? We need to reinvent ourselves next year without losing key players and try some positional changes.
The big name, proven key forwards will cost a lot in salary and we don''t have the cap space and a lot in trade price and we don't have a first round pick. It's just not going to happen unfortunately. We need to find one though. We'll probably have to try and snag a free agent which means someone already with a know and determined level. It's not going to be a star. IMO the best bet is to play Moore forward and find a back. I really can't see any other solution. Unfortunately I think we'll play Moore back and put up with Cox as the tall who can relieve Grundy in the ruck. He's just not good enough in either role.

Most have said it, I’ve said it for years

Clearance experts in the middle
Strong tall athletic dashing HBF
Tall strong Full forward
Smart quick elusive small forward
95% of games played by JDG, Elliott & Moore
A defender that can gain 20-30 meters from a kick out & hit targets from another 60 out.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tall strong Full forward
A defender that can gain 20-30 meters from a kick out & hit targets from another 60 out.

That's quite a shopping list, would need about 5 first rounders for that.

Tall strong Full forward

Which one of Crisp, Maynard or Howe doesn't please you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our best 22 doesn't stack up against Richmond's or GWS's IMO. It's irrelevent anyway. You hardly ever have your best 22 playing let alone at the end of the year. Richmond are without the best KP back in the comp. GWS are withlout 4 AA quality guns. We were without De Goey who is a gun, Beams, and then some other handy types who are marginal compared to who replaced them, plus Wells who's body made him irrelevent from day 1 and has now retired anyway. We've got little to nothing in the VFL. As I said, Daicos may be a player. Aside from that, Quaynor and Murphy might make it. Kelly is a wait and see hopeful at this point. Sier could be a player but he probably can't play in the same side as Wills. After that I'm struggling. We don't have a first round pick this year.
Dry weather? we were out run and we were often noticeably slower. Dry weather only enhances that pace advantage they had and their tall forwards would have preferred it drier. we didn't lose because of the weather.

We have to chase some free agnets and we have to upgrade out draft position. It will cost us even more depth to trade the likes of Aish, Thomas and Phillips but we have to change the list and the makeup of the 22. We still need pace and footskills. We can do with what we have. We'll finish around the top 4 and think we are close. This is Collingwood history.

Last edited:
Our best 22 doesn't stack up against Richmond's or GWS's IMO. It's irrelevent anyway. You hardly ever have your best 22 playing let alone at the end of the year. Richmond are without the best KP back in the comp. GWS are withlout 4 AA quality guns. We were without De Goey who is a gun, Beams, and then some other handy types who are marginal compared to who replaced them, plus Wells who's body made him irrelevent from day 1 and has now retired anyway. We've got little to nothing in the VFL. As I said, Daicos may be a player. Aside from that, Quaynor and Murphy might make it. Kelly is a wait and see hopeful at this point. Sier could be a player but he probably can't play in the same side as Wills. After that I'm struggling. We don't have a first round pick this year.

Dry weather? we were out run and we were often noticeably slower. Dry weather only enhances that pace advantage they had and their tall forwards would have preferred it drier. we didn't lose because of the weather.

We have to chase some free agnets and we have to upgrade out draft position. It will cost us even more depth to trade the likes of Aish, Thomas and Phillips but we have to change the list and the makeup of the 22. We still need pace and footskills.

Agree to disagree. If we get continuity in our side and even luck, we will be close to the team to beat next year.

Agree to disagree. If we get continuity in our side and even luck, we will be close to the team to beat next year.
We were close this year and closer last year. Continuity is a hope. A better best 22 and better depth overcomes the reality of injuries, suspensions and form dips. We probably thought Sier would be a big player for us this year. It doesn't always pan out. Wills got his chance and took it. Is he good enough though?

WCE won the flag without Gaff and Natanbui among others. Richmond will probably win it this year without Rance. GWS beat us without 4 players that would walk into our side or any other.

It isn't continuity that cost us a GF berth or a flag. It's an inch of speed and class/skill.

Anyway, as you said, we'll agree to disagree.

Last edited:
We were close this year and closer last year. Continuity is a hope. A better best 22 and better depth overcomes the reality of injuries, suspensions and form dips. We probably thought Sier would be a big player for us this year. It doesn't always pan out. Wills got his chance and took it. Is he good enough though?

WCE won the flag without Gaff and Natanbui among others. Richmond will probably win it this year without Rance. GWS beat us without 4 players that would walk into our side or any other.

It isn't continuity that cost us a GF berth or a flag. It's an inch of speed and class/skill.

Anyway, as you said, we'll agree to disagree.
A better best 22 would’ve great but we haven’t fielded close to our best 22 the last 2 years. If we had fielded our best 22 last year and this year, we’d be back to back Premiers.
Injuries happen unfortunately and it has cost us success. If only we had’ve had a great run with injuries as Richmond last year and just one star missing like Rance this year.
We are due for a good year regarding injuries.

The first half of this year, Richmond lived in our world regarding injuries. It turned around for them.
This year it seemed just as we got one player back, we lost another one or two to injury.

We’re in a bad way due to a combination of bad luck (Scharenberg, Freeman) and frivolous trading (Beams, Murray, Witts) in the early rounds. Also paid absolute top dollar for Treloar, overpaid for Mayne and was unsuccessful with Wells.

We also seem to lack a killer instinct; when you have players like Stephenson betting on AFL, Adams not following the plan set by the medical staff, Phil Inn doing a Dale Thomas with his rehab but actually in-season... premierships are hard to win and we have players who currently aren’t doing what is necessary or getting ahead of themselves.

We can be competitive with the likes of Quaynor and Murphy stepping up, maybe Sier getting back on track, and the medical staff regressing positively to the mean in terms of soft tissue injuries, but our drafting over the last 5-10 years has left us behind the stronger clubs in terms of talent coming through.
Always a big fan of your posting but have to disagree this time. I don’t think we’re in a bad way at all having run second and effectively third the last two seasons in a professional competition where 18 teams are all trying to achieve the one thing. Our club is currently the envy of most and I reckon the future is looking ok. I expect us to be up there again with a shot of winning it all next year.

Always a big fan of your posting but have to disagree this time. I don’t think we’re in a bad way at all having run second and effectively third the last two seasons in a professional competition where 18 teams are all trying to achieve the one thing. Our club is currently the envy of most and I reckon the future is looking ok. I expect us to be up there again with a shot of winning it all next year.
I’m glad you disagree. I hope we can continue to keep the wolf from the door. It’s hard when you have to keep improving to keep from going backwards.

I commented on that during the game. I told my mate it reminded me of the primary school days when one or two kids could roost the pill forty metres down the ground and it took the average sized kids three kicks to get it back to where it came from. Noble, Phillips Mayne, Sidey, Wills, Moore and Cox would struggle to drill a goal from just outside the 50 metre arc. Mayne's shot that was touched on the line was from inside the arc. The Giants seem to have a number of thumping kicks. It's not a major concern but it can make a difference in a tight game. Tony Shaw couldn't kick more than 40 to 45 metres on a good day and he is a club legend. Did I just refute my own post?

Noble kicked a point from 50 made the distance comfortably. Sidey, Moore and Phillips can also kick from 50.
You’re right with Cox.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back