Game Day Richmond Tigers v GWS Giants - Grand Final - Sat 28 Sep, 2:30PM AEST, MCG

Tigers or Giants to win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

******* lol at the manufactured comments.

Did the Richmond FC just appear out of thin air? It’s comments like that that actively make opposition supporters cheer against Richmond. (If they aren’t already)

‘History’ and ‘tradition’ are overrated, especially they’re in reference to a team that isn’t yours.

Look at Carlton, Essendon and Melbourne for teams that have a great (VFL) history, but are irrelevant come finals time. I’d much rather be in GWS’ position right now.
They talk up being told by their grandfather all the clubs traditions.
Im living my clubs now and will be able to tell my grandkids about them and more.

They talk up being told by their grandfather all the clubs traditions.
Im living my clubs now and will be able to tell my grandkids about them and more.

The irony of course is prior to 2017 Richmond were in the wilderness for 30+ years, which I’m guessing is roughly the age demographic of most Richmond supporters on Bigfooty.

It’s painful listening to supporters of any club prattle on about the glory days of suburban footy, to which the were not actually a part of.

Did the Richmond FC just appear out of thin air? It’s comments like that that actively make opposition supporters cheer against Richmond. (If they aren’t already)

‘History’ and ‘tradition’ are overrated, especially they’re in reference to a team that isn’t yours.

Look at Carlton, Essendon and Melbourne for teams that have a great (VFL) history, but are irrelevant come finals time. I’d much rather be in GWS’ position right now.
Me too.

And also, it’s moment like this that create a tradition and begin a heritage for GWS. Just like West Coast did back in 1992 when they won their first AFL flag. Adelaide in 97 also. I mean look at Adelaide, 6 years in and they won a flag, they now have tradition and history as an AFL side. Sure it doesn’t run like Richmond, but does it make it less relevant or passionate? No.

You can’t say GWS ‘lack history’ and then say they are worth nothing. Of course they lack history! They entered in 2012. Every team starts somewhere, just like Hawthorn and North did back in 1925, 30 years roughly after the initial VFL clubs were created.

There is just so much bitterness and ridiculous state bias towards GWS. As I’ve said many times; it’s a national competition! The investment in a major growth corridor in GWS helped establish the Giants, and the pronounced investments assist the AFL in taking support from Rugby League.

All this rubbish about the AFL not supporting Victorian Clubs, I mean Melbourne received large financial assistance from the AFL. Eddie McGuire on the footy show years ago bought a Western Bulldogs membership they were struggling so much, North and St Kilda have received assistance. There comes a point where you need to make it yourself, now Collingwood didn’t lose the PF by 4 points because of ‘CONCESSIONS’, they lost because they played like rubbish! Just like the choked in the GF last year!

I am hoping the Giants win, because it’ll mean support for the AFL will hopefully deepen just like the success of the storm has deepened our support in Victoria. And that reminds me; do any of these anti GWS Victorian’s have an issue following the storm or hoping they win? Considering they might be a ‘plastic’ club as well?

Contradictions and double standards run deep.

Oh it must be just Richmond supporters that talk about the giants being a manufactured side is it? At the end of the day club fans hang s**t on other fans forever and a day, piesare ferals, blues are losers, Essendon are drug cheats eagles fans are booers etc... don’t think it’s something to get offended about.

Tigers will win this I think. Great side. Hard to beat when on.

interesting match this - richmond have been behind in both matches and roared home. Giants have been ahead in both matches and run out of puff in the fourth. It's as though Cameron's tactics are to run-run-run, compete hard at every single contest rather than pacing through the match, pile on scoreboard pressure, and hold the * on. It helps that they convert their opportunities, unlike Brisbane in their finals.

Why?

All the doggies fans I know hate Richmond as much as the rest of us.

Lol do you seriously have to ask that question, I've been tagged by many dogs supporters saying beat those scum bags.
2016 Dogs V GWS prelim final, dogs knocked out in first final this year. Boyd, Ward changing camps. Doggie supporters do not like GWS

Lol do you seriously have to ask that question, I've been tagged by many dogs supporters saying beat those scum bags.
Dogs VGWS prelim final, dogs knocked out in fist final this year. Boyd, Ward changing camps. Doggie supporters do not like GWS
It’s a bit silly though isn’t it, I mean players change clubs every year. Maybe I should now hate Port because Watts plays there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a bit silly though isn’t it, I mean players change clubs every year. Maybe I should now hate Port because Watts plays there.

Normal circumstances yes but these players had a different feel to it, Boyd went after the first year on 1 mill plus? Ward the captain of dogs goes to the new franchise club. But the more rivalry comes from the finals games over the last few years.

Brisbane: Same deal. Fitzroy one of the oldest clubs in the comp.

Gold Coast: Manufactured failure.
GWS: Manufactured non-failure.

Please. GWS and Gold Coast are no more 'manufactured' (whatever that means) than West Coast, Adelaide, Fremantle and Brisbane Lions.

The Brisbane Lions were started from scratch in 1987, as was West Coast. Adelaide 1990 (entered AFL 1991). Fremantle 1994 (entered AFL 1995).

Please. GWS and Gold Coast are no more 'manufactured' (whatever that means) than West Coast, Adelaide, Fremantle and Brisbane Lions.

The Brisbane Lions were started from scratch in 1987, as was West Coast. Adelaide 1990 (entered AFL 1991). Fremantle 1994 (entered AFL 1995).

The Brisbane Bears started in 1987. All their home games were at Carrara, not Brisbane. Their nickname was the Carrara Koalas.

They really didn't have much support or success until after the merger with Fitzroy in 1996.

The Brisbane Bears started in 1987. All their home games were at Carrara, not Brisbane. Their nickname was the Carrara Koalas.

The Brisbane Lions started in 1987. The club used to be known as the Brisbane Bears until they rebranded for the 1997 season. In the same way the Western Bulldogs started in 1877, joined the VFL-AFL in 1925 and rebranded in 1996.

I joined as a member an existing club in 1997, not a new one. And only after Brisbane Bears members voted in favour to change the name of their existing club.

Last edited:
Big trouble for Rich if Wet. Ball is constantly dispute in the wet and consequently body size matters.

On the week end - Players 181cm or less

Rich - 9

GWS - 2

Are you referring to body size (weight, build) or height (over/ under 181cm)?
Or both 🤔

I think you’ve missed the point. Adelaide, Fred, West Coast were “created” to fill a demand. GWS / GC were created to make demand. They were given unreasonable concessions to ensure they had the opportunity to win a GF. GC messed up (partly because their facilities and support were so bad).
Again, GWS is a marketing exercise, not a football club.

The Brisbane Lions started in 1987. The club used to be known as the Brisbane Bears until they rebranded for the 1997 season. In the same way the Western Bulldogs started in 1877, joined the VFL-AFL in 1925 and rebranded in 1996.

I joined as a member an existing club in 1997, not a new one.

Not the same at all:
Footscray rebranded
Fitzroy & Brisbane merged

Fitzroy & Brisbane merged

No they didn't. The AFL likes to call it a 'merger' for marketing purposes, but it wasn't. The Brisbane Bears rebranded (the AFL allowed them to use intellectual property pertaining to Fitzroy that the AFL owned) and acquired some Fitzroy FC assets, through the auspices of the then administrator.

Last edited:
No they didn't. The AFL likes to call it a 'merger' for marketing purposes, but it wasn't. The Brisbane Bears rebranded (the AFL allowed them to use intellectual property that the AFL owned) and acquired some Fitzroy FC assets, through the auspises of the then administrator.

Merger (takeover)

Still a little bit different to Footscray >>>Western Bulldogs though

I think you’ve missed the point.

I don't think so.

Adelaide, Fred, West Coast were “created” to fill a demand. GWS / GC were created to make demand. They were given unreasonable concessions to ensure they had the opportunity to win a GF.

The concessions they were given were perfectly reasonable. Certainly much more reasonable than those afforded to Brisbane in 1987.

Again, GWS is a marketing exercise, not a football club.

They look like a football club to me. Let's hope the 'marketing exercise' give a good account of themselves on Saturday. Looks like they'll be in the AFL competition for a very long time.

Back