Contract Status: Free Agent 2028
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 24, ghostdog

Last edited by a moderator:

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Just rewatched footage of his tackle late in the Anzac Day clash. Seriously WTF was the AFL doing signing off on that as correct. So outrageous.

JayDon

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2013
Home
AFL Club
Essendon
So versatile and unrelenting. Can kick. Reminds me of a young Hirdy. Big call I know, looking forward to his next couple of years!

Going to buck the trend and say he should stay as a half back. He doesn't find enough of the ball to be a midfielder, and he works well when he has a clear task, beat his man and then get the ball.

Also I love how people complain about "trying to turn flankers into midfielders" then ask why we don't do it with the most obvious flankers on our list in Redman and McKenna

staaation

All Australian
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Going to buck the trend and say he should stay as a half back. He doesn't find enough of the ball to be a midfielder, and he works well when he has a clear task, beat his man and then get the ball.

Also I love how people complain about "trying to turn flankers into midfielders" then ask why we don't do it with the most obvious flankers on our list in Redman and McKenna
Idk I think what he's good at (being accountable for his opponent, pace and accuracy by foot) can translate well to playing on a wing, and McKenna similarly.
The complaints about attempting to convert flankers into mids comes from taking guys like Langford/Begley and throwing them in the middle before they've even shown anything in their preferred position.

Idk I think what he's good at (being accountable for his opponent, pace and accuracy by foot) can translate well to playing on a wing, and McKenna similarly.
The complaints about attempting to convert flankers into mids comes from taking guys like Langford/Begley and throwing them in the middle before they've even shown anything in their preferred position.
I don't think his low possession game translates well and he works well with the game unfolding in front of him. Ridley has far more traits suited to a wing than either and people are whinging about the club developing him there in the 2's.

staaation

All Australian
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't think his low possession game translates well and he works well with the game unfolding in front of him. Ridley has far more traits suited to a wing than either and people are whinging about the club developing him there in the 2's.
As opposed to our guys with high possessions who can't hit a target? We're desperate for reliable kickers in the middle and we can only work with what we've got at the moment. Maybe we trade a guy in and hopefully Ridley is good to go next year but it wouldn't hurt to try Redman there, if it doesn't work out then we can put him back in defense.

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon

I actually agree to an extent.

I would like him to be used in a few centre square bounces however each game. Just as a point of difference. (Start him in the middle and Heppell off the back flank and then switch them after the bounce.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Have no doubt theyā€™ll look at him in the midfield....would be crazy not to as he ticks a lot of boxes.

If it doesnā€™t work he can go back to defence. Why would you not look at it?

SherbertLemon

Cancelled
Apr 7, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Itā€™s crazy to suggest that anyone who has ever been described as a half back flanker within the EFC hasnā€™t been considered as the next potential Fyfe

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't mind if we do try him out in different positions throughout his career. The way people carry on in here you'd think nobody in the history of our club has ever been able to mature and develop proficiency at more than one position.

HBF and backpockets are the easiest positions to play at AFL level and even though Redman is very promising in his current role, I don't mind throwing him around a bit and seeing if he has some proficiency as a midfielder. His strong overhead marking, good pace and nice kicking would be welcome in there. I'm not sure if he can find enough of the ball to truly make it in there but as an experiment I think it could be quite interesting.

eth-dog, dont know how we can say he doesnt get enough ball in the middle.

Of the 3 or 4 quarters of midfield he has played in the VFL he blew up the game at least twice.
He's not a 20 possession a game player. I love him, I still remember the first time the two of us saw him at WH that day and we agreed at about QT that he'd make it. But I still see him as a half back rather than midfielder.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't mind if we do try him out in different positions throughout his career. The way people carry on in here you'd think nobody in the history of our club has ever been able to mature and develop proficiency at more than one position.

HBF and backpockets are the easiest positions to play at AFL level and even though Redman is very promising in his current role, I don't mind throwing him around a bit and seeing if he has some proficiency as a midfielder. His strong overhead marking, good pace and nice kicking would be welcome in there. I'm not sure if he can find enough of the ball to truly make it in there but as an experiment I think it could be quite interesting.
I reckon he'd be great coming off a wing. Good dukes, plenty of run and wouldn't hesitate to crack in when it's his time to go. Add to that his footskills and we've got an excellent field kick and excellent vision and delivery i50.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
For those that are interested and aren't reading any of the season reviews themselves:

2020 VISION
Redman can only be expected to grow next year after such a brilliant breakthrough season. Now locked in at the club until at least the end of 2021, he is sure to play an important part in the future of the exciting squad.

He has now solidified a spot as a defender in the senior line-up, but his classy ball use on the outside and aggression in the contest could also see him utilised further up the ground in the future.

https://essendoncorporatehospitalit...gisterId=49231a20-5a8e-4ce1-a637-284305f35fed

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
He's not a 20 possession a game player. I love him, I still remember the first time the two of us saw him at WH that day and we agreed at about QT that he'd make it. But I still see him as a half back rather than midfielder.

Is this he's currently not a 20 possession player? That's true.

Or is it he probably wont ever be a 20 possession player? Which would be putting it mildly.

He's the 7th defender in terms of seniority. He's competing with two of the most damaging counter attacking runners in the game and 2 key defenders who are basically the "spiritual leaders" and players who have been among the best key defenders of the last 10 years.

Ambrose is now clearly regarded as KPD1.

Gleeson is back and he outranks Redman.

There is a finite amount of possession for even our defenders. His numbers will be deflated by competition.

I'd also argue that the he's freed McKenna to increase his possession rate by 3 from just below 18 to just below 21 this year.

When was McKenna a 20 possession player before that?

Redman was getting 22 to 30 possessions a week playing 3/4 at half back in his "break through" run in the VFL in 2018 whixh resulted in him becoming best 22 (as evidenced by his early inclusion this year which was not doem related).

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Why fix what ain't broken.

He is a gun in the making at Half back, so let's leave him there.

As an aside, I thought everyone on this board was pissed with our obsession of turning flanker into midfielders?

Back