Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think replacing a defender is a separate problem. Stanley & Ratugolea are ruck/forwards and won't be used in the backline so we're carrying a lot of tall guys we have to rotate through the forward-line. I can't see how we are not losing forward pressure with Krueger's inclusion unless you are planning on playing him in the backline.
Mate Richmond and West Coast just won the last two flags playing two KPF and two average ruckman; that's the model that's working and we have it.

We have two athletic rucks who can both push forward, an all-Australian FF and a young, athletic CHF who personally I want to see what he's got in the big leagues.

I think adding Krueger while Hawkins and Ratugolea are in the team takes too much away from our forward-line pressure. For me, the forward-line pressure was the best thing our team did in 2019 and the major reason we saw a resurgence rather than the expected drop off.
Krueger is quick and agile. He’s not a lumbering big man at all.

I think replacing a defender is a separate problem. Stanley & Ratugolea are ruck/forwards and won't be used in the backline so we're carrying a lot of tall guys we have to rotate through the forward-line. I can't see how we are not losing forward pressure with Krueger's inclusion unless you are planning on playing him in the backline.

We couldn't take an overhead mark inside 50 that's devestating if you're struggling for goals.
At times we went far to long without scoring despite having our fair share of the ball.

I think adding Krueger while Hawkins and Ratugolea are in the team takes too much away from our forward-line pressure. For me, the forward-line pressure was the best thing our team did in 2019 and the major reason we saw a resurgence rather than the expected drop off.

Kreuger would replace Rohan. Kreuger is no slouch when it comes to closing speed and ability to chase.
Had a quick search to see if he had any special attributes at his draft combine (2017) ( he didn't test last year because he was already on our list)
..... and this:

Smartspeed agility test

Kane Farrell - 8.10 seconds
Ben Miller - 8.10
Brent Daniels - 8.11
Trent Mynott - 8.20
Nathan Kreuger - 8.21
Aaron Naughton - 8.22
Mitchell Podhajski - 8.26
Oscar Allen - 8.27
Stefan Okunbar - 8.29
Matthew Ling - 8.30
Callan England - 8.30
Aiden Bonar - 8.30
Andrew Brayshaw - 8.30

I assume this is a test mids are expected to dominate but Kreuger is right up there.

Also listed in
Running vertical jump
Kyron Hayden - 103cm
Ben Paton - 99cm
Ryley Stoddart - 96cm
Kane Farrell - 95cm
Jordan Houlahan - 95cm
Hayden McLean - 92cm
Noah Balta - 89cm
Harrison Jones - 88cm
Oscar Allen - 88cm
Tom McCartin - 88cm
Matthew Day - 87cm
Nathan Kreuger - 87cm

I expected to see him in the kicking lists as well but not. He is a very good kick though ( as is Rohan).

As I have said he has tools - just need to see if can apply them at the top level.

Kreuger would replace Rohan. Kreuger is no slouch when it comes to closing speed and ability to chase.
Had a quick search to see if he had any special attributes at his draft combine (2017) NB he didn't test last year because he was already on our list)
..... and this:

Smartspeed agility test

Ben Miller - 8.10
Brent Daniels - 8.11
Trent Mynott - 8.20
Nathan Kreuger - 8.21
Aaron Naughton - 8.22
Oscar Allen - 8.27
Stefan Okunbar - 8.29
Matthew Ling - 8.30
Callan England - 8.30
Aiden Bonar - 8.30
Andrew Brayshaw - 8.30

I assume this is a test mids are expected to dominate but Kreuger is right up there.

Also listed in
Running vertical jump
Kyron Hayden - 103cm
Ben Paton - 99cm
Ryley Stoddart - 96cm
Kane Farrell - 95cm
Jordan Houlahan - 95cm
Hayden McLean - 92cm
Noah Balta - 89cm
Harrison Jones - 88cm
Oscar Allen - 88cm
Tom McCartin - 88cm
Matthew Day - 87cm
Nathan Kreuger - 87cm (add that to his 195cm)

I expected to see him in the kicking lists as well but not. He is a very good kick though ( as is Rohan).

As I have said he has tools - just need to see if can apply them at the top level.

That's impressive but I still think being 196cm comes at a cost. Your centre of gravity makes a difference and while in a test situation a player knows exactly where he is going so he can get in a rhythm and set himself early to make a cut, that isn't the case in a live game.

Mate Richmond and West Coast just won the last two flags playing two KPF and two average ruckman; that's the model that's working and we have it.

We have two athletic rucks who can both push forward, an all-Australian FF and a young, athletic CHF who personally I want to see what he's got in the big leagues.

I still think it costs us forward pressure compared to Rohan but that's a fair argument to go for the setup. I personally think we had it right in 2019 but WCE and Richmond obviously made it work so it's definately an option (if Krueger proves ready).

Had a quick search to see if he had any special attributes at his draft combine (2017) ( he didn't test last year because he was already on our list)
..... and this:

Smartspeed agility test

Ben Miller - 8.10
Brent Daniels - 8.11
Trent Mynott - 8.20
Nathan Kreuger - 8.21
Aaron Naughton - 8.22
Oscar Allen - 8.27
Stefan Okunbar - 8.29
Matthew Ling - 8.30
Callan England - 8.30
Aiden Bonar - 8.30
Andrew Brayshaw - 8.30

Also listed in
Running vertical jump
Kyron Hayden - 103cm
Ben Paton - 99cm
Ryley Stoddart - 96cm
Kane Farrell - 95cm
Jordan Houlahan - 95cm
Hayden McLean - 92cm
Noah Balta - 89cm
Harrison Jones - 88cm
Oscar Allen - 88cm
Tom McCartin - 88cm
Matthew Day - 87cm
Nathan Kreuger - 87cm

Even agility no difference at the top of the stats as well.
Ben King wins afl sprint, 202cm, NicNat huge top end speed.
3 smalls in the forward half is plenty, we have a slower type FF Hawkins, but there're plenty of fast big blokes.
Take note, Arron Naughton and Oscar Allen and even Ockenbor, plenty of 190+ players amongst that lot.
Smalls faster or even more agile is a myth. There's the evidence.

That's impressive but I still think being 196cm comes at a cost. Your centre of gravity makes a difference and while in a test situation a player knows exactly where he is going so he can get in a rhythm and set himself early to make a cut, that isn't the case in a live game.

I still think it costs us forward pressure compared to Rohan but that's a fair argument to go for the setup. I personally think we had it right in 2019 but WCE and Richmond obviously made it work so it's definately an option (if Krueger proves ready).
I wouldn't be dropping Rohan though, like i said It'd be one of the defenders because i'm sick of kicking less than 10 goals in BIG games.

Would it work? Don't know, but for me it looks good on paper :thumbsu:

As our list stands right now, I'd be playing Stanley as No.1 ruck, Ratugolea as 2nd ruck/forward, Hawkins FF and Krueger at CHF.

That gives us plenty of marking power, athleticism and if one of them gets injured then we've got cover during a game, rather than ******* up our whole structure by moving Blicavs away from FB.
Yeah honestly I'd be fine with that , no worries at all. BUT... Will Chris Scott do something like that next year? We can only hope.
But people say that's to big, I'd disagree. I'd rather see that set up in a heartbeat.

Talk up pressure all you like but if your forwardline's not kicking many goals you won't win finals.
Realistically we were a mid table team second half of the season.

If we get good delivery so they get the 1st opportunity to mark it, we won't have to worry about forward pressure, but I think we will have enough smalls to do that if we have to

Yeah honestly I'd be fine with that , no worries at all. BUT... Will Chris Scott do something like that next year? We can only hope.
But people say that's to big, I'd disagree. I'd rather see that set up in a heartbeat.
It's only too big if they were all slow and terrible below their knees, not the case here; apart from Hawkins, who should be living out of the goal square for the rest of his career, the other three are as athletic and mobile as big men get.

Will Scott do it.... I'm gonna say he will because I want something to look forward to next year :)

Imo .. Its a taste of what is to come if we don't build a youth foundation soon ..only the normal way will require us finding talent later in the draft... and mistakes will be made , there will be churn. Gees we didnt draft worpel for example. so you need to draft 10 to get 5 to 7 if all things are going well.

Yes for us to do what we did this year we have be done by draft & internal improvement imo. Kelly is probably worth a couple of wins..
Imo .. Its a taste of what is to come if we don't build a youth foundation soon ..only the normal way will require us finding talent later in the draft... and mistakes will be made , there will be churn. Gees we didnt draft worpel for example. so you need to draft 10 to get 5 to 7 if all things are going well.

Yes for us to do what we did this year we have be done by draft & internal improvement imo. Kelly is probably worth a couple of wins..
Yes worpel would’ve been nice, he’s just won the Hawks BnF. Our young players are a long way off that atm.
But he wasn’t an early pick either just one we missed. We had a lot of misses from around 2012-2015/16.

But our drafting the last couple of years has been very good. And we now have some quality young players. There is improvement from within. Constable, Narkle and Parfit through the middle is one area.
It’s potentially an opportunity to have a different type of midfield. With some more accountability and defensive pressure. Rohan for example could play on a wing to defend and provide run.

For all the disapointment of the finals we finished on top. It’s hard to see that happening. But they’ll still be in the mix for the finals.

If you can draft youth while finding players through free agency or later picks that’s ideal to what Geelong want to do imo. Dahlhaus is a great example this season, Steven could be for the right price. And I think Jenkins could as well. But Wells doesn’t seem interested. And list spots are pretty tight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even agility no difference at the top of the stats as well.
Ben King wins afl sprint, 202cm, NicNat huge top end speed.
3 smalls in the forward half is plenty, we have a slower type FF Hawkins, but there're plenty of fast big blokes.
Take note, Arron Naughton and Oscar Allen and even Ockenbor, plenty of 190+ players amongst that lot.
Smalls faster or even more agile is a myth. There's the evidence.

We don’t need to rely on anecdotal evidence or small sample sizes. The topic has been heavily researched in a number of studies showing there is a negative correlation between height and agility. You can google then if you like.

It's only too big if they were all slow and terrible below their knees, not the case here; apart from Hawkins, who should be living out of the goal square for the rest of his career, the other three are as athletic and mobile as big men get.

Will Scott do it.... I'm gonna say he will because I want something to look forward to next year :)

Funny how Tom does so well up the ground at times getting 20+ disposals.
Guess he runs to good spots for the mismatch. But yeah if we had another he could stay closer to goals more often.

Yes worpel would’ve been nice, he’s just won the Hawks BnF. Our young players are a long way off that atm.
But he wasn’t an early pick either just one we missed. We had a lot of misses from around 2012-2015/16.

But our drafting the last couple of years has been very good. And we now have some quality young players. There is improvement from within. Constable, Narkle and Parfit through the middle is one area.
It’s potentially an opportunity to have a different type of midfield. With some more accountability and defensive pressure. Rohan for example could play on a wing to defend and provide run.

For all the disapointment of the finals we finished on top. It’s hard to see that happening. But they’ll still be in the mix for the finals.

If you can draft youth while finding players through free agency or later picks that’s ideal to what Geelong want to do imo. Dahlhaus is a great example this season, Steven could be for the right price. And I think Jenkins could as well. But Wells doesn’t seem interested. And list spots are pretty tight.
The point I was trying to make is the early picks we get for kelly helps a reset a bit.. a tad thru choice a tad thru compelled.. as the pnps we looked at us have said no. Something we may have to get familiar with if we donet start to refresh the list a bit.
Wewent from 8 to 1 to 3... d saywe could just as easy go from 3 to 10. Im not convinced as yet that we have a totally refreshed side like the club are trying to sell us.. I feel we still have significant change over that has to happen.

Another issue aside, is Kreuger good enough?...
Wasn't even called up when Hawkins was suspended so I have my doubts if he’s the instant remedy 2020.
I think it was a wise idea giving him a full season at VFL level... But this is why we should of given Buzza a chance threw out the year... People say his not up to it, but over 12 months since his last game is to long and he deserved a couple of games this season..

We don’t need to rely on anecdotal evidence or small sample sizes. The topic has been heavily researched in a number of studies showing there is a negative correlation between height and agility. You can google then if you like.

Within

Well it must be a pretty fine line the percentage of talls on that list was pretty favorable.

Talk up pressure all you like but if your forwardline's not kicking many goals you won't win finals.
Realistically we were a mid table team second half of the season.

I’m open to other strategies such as an extra KP forward. I’ve stated what my worry is and think it’s real but totally understand if others see it differently. I also think there are other improvements we can make, and that our forward structure was not the reason for the second half season slump.

But we can have different ideas on what the best approach is.

Guess he runs to good spots for the mismatch. But yeah if we had another he could stay closer to goals more often.
Intially i liked the idea of Hawkins up the field, but while Sav is a great mark, right now he's a very unreliable goal kicker.

You bring Krueger in as well an all of a sudden you've got 3 marking targets up the field with Hawkins destroying whoever takes him at FB.

Hawk was more than handy pushing up the ground this year

When he gets 20+ we rarely lose too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back