Toast Ned Guy and the List Management Team

Remove this Banner Ad

And you know this how exactly? One thing I’m not guessing on is my footy knowledge being infinitely superior to yours so I’ll leave it up to others decide on and you to your delusions 👍
Oh wow such arrogance - should we all bow down in acquiescence to your omnipotence?

Peddle your arrogance elsewhere mate I'm not buying it.

So in 2017 Tigers win the flag - lose in 2018 and then recruit Lynch and win in 2019.

In 2018 WCE win the flag - lose in 2019 and then recruit Kelly.

We win nothing in 2017, 2018 and 2019 have no cap space to sign anyone anddo nothing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
After all that, why are the media constantly discussing our salary cap pressures?

SEN we’re discussing the wce re Kelly trade. They mentioned Nic Nat is on $1million a season and so is McGovern. You then add Darling, Kennedy, Gaff, Shuey who would be on decent coin. I’m sure Lycett didn’t join the club for small coin. Then you have Hurn who should be on decent coin. Yet they are able to afford Kelly??

How else do they qualify and or justify the rumours and just plain lies they are concocting about Pies players and likely trades.

So in 2017 Tigers win the flag - lose in 2018 and then recruit Lynch and win in 2019.

We win nothing in 2017, 2018 and 2019 have no cap space to sign anyone anddo nothing?

I think there probably isn’t too much difference between the strong clubs in what they pay their top 6 etc. But where I think we stuff up is paying overs for our mid and lower end players.
Eagles and Tigers have massive depth on their lists down to player no. 27 or 28. We just don’t bat deep enough.
It’s your bottom 6 or 8 that make the big difference winning flags IMO. Players like Pickett, Bolton, Baker, Broad, Soldo, Ellis, Short, Butler, Castagna etc we might think are rubbish. But they play their role, they’re probably cheap and offer much more to Richmond than our bottom 8 give us. Once they demand more money like Ellis has, they just ship them out rather than pay overs to keep them. This is where our list management needs to head. How much young talent have we missed out on having a look at because of paying too much for blokes like Mayne, Wells, Cox, Beams and a few others.

I respect Derek Hine the recruiter but I can only come to the conclusion that he was somewhat out of his depth when it came to list management and perhaps his close relationship with the players he identified and then drafted made him a little more susceptible to being a soft touch in contract negotiations.

Well that's the only plausible scenario I can envisage because I remain confused how we could find ourselves in the midst of a salary cap squeeze when the likes of Hawthorn were able to put together and afford a list capable of 4 Grand Finals and 3 flags in succession.

How does that make sense?

Yes they did lose Franklin at the end of 2013 but they were able to acquire McEvoy during that trade period and then Frawley joined via free agency the following year so it's not like they were short on cap space despite the talent already contained on the list.

We finished 2nd in the race to sign Lynch. But sure, we have no cap space.

Ummmmm, that's part 1 of his job.

EFA

We will have to see re Ned,
Should we admire Balme and what he did for Colllingwood ,Geelong and now Richmond?
Balme identified players and built a list,He understood the basics the bottom 6 of 22 players win games.
And built on that.

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly does Balme have to do with this? In Balme’s original tenure at Collingwood list managers didn’t exist, I don’t think they did at Geelong either (it would have been Wells), in his second stint at Collingwood Hine was list manager and during his time at Richmond I believe it’s Blair Hartley (not 100% on that). Balme’s role is footy manager which is a very different brief to Guy’s.

Last edited:
EFA

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly does Balme have to do with this? In Balme’s original tenure at Collingwood list managers didn’t exist, I don’t think they did at Geelong either (it would have been Wells), in his second stint at Collingwood Hine was list manager and during his time at Richmond I believe it’s Blair Hartley (not 100% on that). Balme’s role is footy manager which is a very different brief to Guy’s.
Scodog10,
My apologies I was under the impression Balme played a role in regards to the player list.

Scodog10,
My apologies I was under the impression Balme played a role in regards to the player list.

He’d have oversight on list management just like the coach and head recruiter, but in terms of building a list and your overreaching list strategy that’s the list managers brief.

FWIW he’s top drawer at what he does, but both the clubs that have won premierships in his time had built their lists long before he arrived. In both cases he oversaw the cream not the filling.

The plan appears to be one more tilt with all hands on deck then clear the decks in 2021 for the holy trinity and go to the draft for cap relief

But doesn't look to me like we'll clear enough money with the players out of contract

2021 off: (out of contract)

Mayne Reid Varcoe Greenwood Dunn Aish Cox

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It'd be very interesting to try and do up our own spreadsheets to fit everyone in the cap.

I'd consider doing it just for shits and giggles... I just don't understand enough about rookies and what does/doesn't count towards the TPP.

Also have no idea what first year recruits earn, etc.

It appears that Ned and the recruiting team have just signed some amateur suburban-league basketballer for 2 years...
Is Phil Inn any good, heard the name , just don’t know where from

Gubby killed the Lynch deal and Beams was a brilliant move to get a quality player for next to nix (moneywise) with the first pick gone on Quaynor anyway, and yes we could have used it elsewhere but you weren't getting Beams quality for a packet of chips anywhere else, hip and depression nothwithstanding it was a great play that hasn't come off so far
Gubby may or may not have killed the Lynch deal. However we don't know if we were ever a chanceto get him. Guy's actions in his attempts to get Lynch suggest we would have sold the farm to get him. What would that gave meant for the likes of Moore, Elliott, Mihocek, Langdon, Wills, Greenwood and Varcoe at trade time last year and what would that have done to our attempts to resign DeGoey and Grundy?

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We will have to see re Ned,
Should we admire Balme and what he did for Colllingwood ,Geelong and now Richmond?
Balme identified players and built a list,He understood the basics the bottom 6 of 22 players win games.
And built on that.
I don't think you've got Balme or Richmond's recent methods correct. They traded out their depth in order to land Lynch. They're prioritising the top end - not the bottom 6.

He's copped some flack for the Beams move, but our first two picks from 2018 were always going to get sucked up by Quaynor and Kelly - and we got them both any (juuuuust) via some maneuvering of later picks in the same deal.

So in reality, we've spent this year's pick 16 (which will blow out a few picks after father/son and academy selections) to bring in Beams, and he's taken a significant pay cut to join the club - he's reportedly on less than the $500k he was set to earn in his last two seasons at Brisbane, with the trade off being a longer deal.

I don't think it's a brilliant deal by any means - his first season was a complete write-off due to his hip injury and mental health issues.

But I don't think it's the disaster many make it out to be, either. People hear the phrase "two first-round draft picks" and get angry. The way it's played out, his cost will be a pick in the high teens, or maybe even low twenties.
Funny how people can't grasp this fact!

We literally got him for a future second round pick once the priority picks, academy and F&S are sorted.

Also, while his season was overall poor, he was a part of our team that banked a heap of wins earlier in the year and we looked weaker without him.

My question to the doubters is; would you trade Beams back to Brisbane now for our 'first' pick, which will likely be 20+?

Funny how people can't grasp this fact!

We literally got him for a future second round pick once the priority picks, academy and F&S are sorted.

Also, while his season was overall poor, he was a part of our team that banked a heap of wins earlier in the year and we looked weaker without him.

My question to the doubters is; would you trade Beams back to Brisbane now for our 'first' pick, which will likely be 20+?

I like Sier and think he is made of the right stuff. Seems like an inexpensive signing so all good. Only a complete clown could not read the tea leaves and get on with their footy careers. Hey, compared to some of the other recent long term trades, this is a no brainer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back