Opinion Who Should get jumper numbers 5,6,7?

Remove this Banner Ad

Naishy 6, no ifs or buts about it, it was his father’s number and we gave Daniel 17 straight up as soon as we drafted him so there’s a precedence.

Don’t care about 5 or 7, give the new premiership players first choice then see what happens.

Reckon it would be fitting for Pickett to get Grigg’s old number 6.

Baker will claim 5.

7 is cursed, so hopefully no one.

so is 13. SInce 1995-
Robert powell
justin blumfield
trent knobel
jordan mcmahon
brad miller
ricky pettard
chris yarran
And higgins (with his injury)

Does Dan Rioli like any of those numbers? Offer him one to free up 17 for MRJr.

Maurice Snr switched to 27 late in his career (not sure why), if Ross takes a lower number then 27 could be held over for Maurice Jr.

It's up to the players and club to make the decision, obviously. Like most, I like premiership players keeping the number they won their first flag in as it will make history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was the number switch because he left the club (why am I thinking he wanted to join Sydney) but then returned to Punt Rd?
Didn’t know anything about that but have done some research and it’s an interesting read.

He left Richmond and signed with Sydney at the end of 1985 with Geoff Edelsten agreeing to a big transfer fee. Then he was allegedly late turning up for pre-season training and when he did show he was told he wasn’t required. He ended up suing Sydney while trying to get back into the league with Richmond and basically all the other VFL clubs, all of whom were scared off by his price tag, then in April (when the season was already underway) he re-signed with the Swans, but wasn’t allowed to play for them as his contract put them over the salary cap. He eventually re-signed with Richmond in late May, with Sydney agreeing to the transfer. According to the Age, “he told Richmond officials he no longer wanted his familiar number - made famous at Richmond by Jack Dyer”. He took the number 27 which had been vacated by Michael Lockman, who was one of a number of players delisted to make way for his re-inclusion. (Coincidentally, Lockman wore 17 for Collingwood when he joined the Pies later that year)

So long story short, yes it’s from when he left and then re-joined :D

Naishy 6, no ifs or buts about it, it was his father’s number and we gave Daniel 17 straight up as soon as we drafted him so there’s a precedence.

Don’t care about 5 or 7, give the new premiership players first choice then see what happens.
Richmond have a long tradition of big blokes in #5. Bill Morris, Rexy, Ottens, Emmit Dunne, Neville Crowe,

Give it to Soldo.
Number 7 Pickett - he has a bit of Michael Mitchell about him, Naish 6 and Soldo 5
Yeh I like Soldo in 5️⃣, Naish in 6️⃣ and Pickett in 7️⃣f or those reasons. Wouldn't mind seeing either Stack or Baker take3️⃣0️⃣

Pickett said on radio he’s keeping 50 and stacky said he likes 44 and isn’t changing.

Wouldn’t mind seeing Ross in 7

Stack and Pickett are trail blazers in a way due to new recruiting methods and those numbers (44 and 50) add to that legacy

maybe one day we will be handing out those numbers to prized promising players like we do with some of our lower numbers

personally I’m wrapped they are sticking with those higher numbers

Agree it would be great to see Ross move down to a lower number and see Naish pick up his old mans number 6

cant see jack graham changing if he was going to change his number it would of been after 2017

Guys like soldo and Baker should be given the choice
If they want to keep the higher flag winning numbers so be it but also happy to see them make a switch if they want but keep it entirely up to the individual as premiership players they have earned that choice imo

Stack and Pickett are trail blazers in a way due to new recruiting methods and those numbers (44 and 50) add to that legacy

maybe one day we will be handing out those numbers to prized promising players like we do with some of our lower numbers

personally I’m wrapped they are sticking with those higher numbers

Agree it would be great to see Ross move down to a lower number and see Naish pick up his old mans number 6

cant see jack graham changing if he was going to change his number it would of been after 2017

Guys like soldo and Baker should be given the choice
If they want to keep the higher flag winning numbers so be it but also happy to see them make a switch if they want but keep it entirely up to the individual as premiership players they have earned that choice imo

Excellent post. I agree . Itd be nice to see a number 00 take place somehwere !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back