List Mgmt. Pick 9

Remove this Banner Ad

any chance Flanders will be there at pick 9 ? would be my first selection.

if he is gone, it would be a toss up between Robertson, Weightman and Kemp

I don't think there's any way Will Gould fails at AFL level. Just looks a 10 year player, unfortunately we have a few similar players to him.

I don't think there's any way Will Gould fails at AFL level. Just looks a 10 year player, unfortunately we have a few similar players to him.
Yeah, he's a beast. I think he goes a bit later than our pick but I shudder at the thought of guys like Fisher and LOB having to play against him. He'll have a physical presence like Jono Brown or Barry Hall.

Still, If we believe someone like Weightman can be got in late teens. I would not be against trading pick 9 for something like a pick 17 and another pick in 20's if any other club sees that suits both clubs. Geelong may have pick 17 from memory so would be curious if Wells and SOS did a swap pick this period. Unlikely but if it happened would not surprise me.
I don’t think he will get past the Doggies at pick 13 as they need a classy small forward and from what I’ve heard are very interested in Weightman.

Gould or Kemp for me.
I’m actually surprised more people have not thrown Gould’s name up for us at pick 9, my only concern would be trying to keep his weight in check ( ala Whitnall ) already 102 kg at 192cm he is a big boy, also the strain carrying that sort of weight around would have on his body especially knees and ankles, would have to try and thin him out a bit to play half back consistently. But would slot in from rd1 next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems likely.
9 maybe too early, 15 seems probably too late.
Who has pick 12 ?
Port has pick 12 and if I was them I would take Gould if still there, Hawks have 11 which if a bid comes for Mcginnas before then they would match otherwise who knows doubt they would take Weightman that early.
Although Port has 12 and 18 could maybe do something with them if they wanted a certain player that was going to go before there first pick, like maybe Stephens.

Last edited:
Don't think I could put up with the relentless Simpsons references if we took Flanders, Newman has been bad enough.
You'll be putting up with these Simpsons references - and you'll like it! :p

Last edited:
And extremely underrated
Similar size to Travis Boak. I can't seem to find any highlights for Robertson, is there anyone he is alike to?

I'd be for his inclusion, provided he's not Brock Maclean slow, and his disposal is good for an inside player. We need another accumulator, and we need more hardness around the ball.

Similar size to Travis Boak. I can't seem to find any highlights for Robertson, is there anyone he is alike to?

I'd be for his inclusion, provided he's not Brock Maclean slow, and his disposal is good for an inside player. We need another accumulator, and we need more hardness around the ball.

Reminds me of Neale, slightly better by foot. Accumulator with good vision and decision making.

Nephew of WC Glass, will be a future leader

No real footage at this stage unless you rewatch the U18 games

Still, If we believe someone like Weightman can be got in late teens. I would not be against trading pick 9 for something like a pick 17 and another pick in 20's if any other club sees that suits both clubs. Geelong may have pick 17 from memory so would be curious if Wells and SOS did a swap pick this period. Unlikely but if it happened would not surprise me.

I thought Melbourne traded down to ensure they got Weightman ahead of us?

Don't want any mid that can't kick goals.
Don't need an 18 year old inside mid.
Don't want a KPF nor a KPD.

Do want speed.
Do want goal-kickers.

Anderson sounds perfect but that isn't going to happen.
Don't mind the idea of a Serong or Flanders but getting to us is the trick.
Jackson is intriguing, but could we make that call on draft night?

Don't want any mid that can't kick goals.
Don't need an 18 year old inside mid.
Don't want a KPF nor a KPD.

Do want speed.
Do want goal-kickers.

Anderson sounds perfect but that isn't going to happen.
Don't mind the idea of a Serong or Flanders but getting to us is the trick.
Jackson is intriguing, but could we make that call on draft night?
Ed is 30 at the start of next season, Murph is 32; we are not so flush of inside mids with leadership prospects that we can point blank ignore one that will go late first/early second round. And Joel Selwood was just an inside mid as a draftee.

We certainly need speed and more scoring options, but part of the process we began in 2015 was in finding replacements for the senior players on their way out. We were lucky Walsh could accumulate at AFL level as well as he did in his first season, because he (and Cripps) disguise the fact that our onball brigade is decidely short 2-3 players.

We definitely do not have enough top tier mids to be ignoring anyone who might slip. Either trade picks from this year or futures, and get in what we will need now instead of waiting a few years to see if what we've already got is up to it. That was Adelaide's mistake; let's not make it ours.

Judging by who we targeted in the free agency and trade period our preference will be smaller and quick for the forward line or midfield or both.

I think because we are targeting a young player and will want them to be ready to go soon, that will probably mean small forward as they generally take the shortest time to be AFL ready. Timing is just right.

Big inside midfielder and half back are probably second preference but not by a long way although if they are slow I can't see us doing that.

Third option will be if we get to pick 9 and aren't overly taken with who is there we might try and trade it.

I think either way the result will be a good one.

I just think if there is a talented young player who will apply pressure and kick goals that's the way we will go.

From my very basic and unqualified opinion right now, I love the look of Stephens and Kemp for our Pick if we choose to keep it. Stephens has speed, a tank, good ball use and finishing ability up forward. Kemp has huge potential as a mid or utility, a bit of pace and hurt in his hits.

Ed is 30 at the start of next season, Murph is 32; we are not so flush of inside mids with leadership prospects that we can point blank ignore one that will go late first/early second round. And Joel Selwood was just an inside mid as a draftee.

We certainly need speed and more scoring options, but part of the process we began in 2015 was in finding replacements for the senior players on their way out. We were lucky Walsh could accumulate at AFL level as well as he did in his first season, because he (and Cripps) disguise the fact that our onball brigade is decidely short 2-3 players.

We definitely do not have enough top tier mids to be ignoring anyone who might slip. Either trade picks from this year or futures, and get in what we will need now instead of waiting a few years to see if what we've already got is up to it. That was Adelaide's mistake; let's not make it ours.

Cripps is 25 - Setterfield 22 - Kennedy 22 - Fisher 21 - Dow 20 - SPS 22 - Stocker 20 - Walsh 19
All these players are primarily mids and young mids at that and then we have the likes of Gibbons, Cuningham and JSilvagni who can pinch hit through there.

If we do go by way of a midfielder, it has to be one with tricks and the ability to play various roles or what have we otherwise achieved?
We have the basis of a quality midfield and had have Coniglio come along, it would have been perfect. To load up on another limited mid and an 18 year old one at that, can only stifle his development by playing him out of position which won't serve us much at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back