News Our new Football Ops Manager - welcome Adam Kelly!

Remove this Banner Ad

Just trying to think outside the square here. If Vozzo and Balme won’t move..... would Justin Reid be worth a look?

Checked his BIO, 18 years involvement in Footy at elite level. General Manager of AFL talent at ESP for 13+ yrs and 4+yrs as List Manager, would know all the ins and outs of mgt and administration side of things, the playing group etc. The review would surely show if he has a positive or negative impact on our culture?

My biggest question would be.... What does Nicksy think of him?

Just a thought.

I can understand our preseason starting a week or so later, given most of our 1-3 year players played SANFL finals. Port have a GF in Shanghai to prepare for.
You do realise that Port's 1-3 players were still playing SANFL one week after Adelaide were booted from the finals?

I think we'll be a better team than the season gone. Happy to see the back of Jenkins and Betts, not so much Greenwood nor CEY nor Keath, but we have Doedee to more than cover Keath. There'll be new enthusiasm sans Burton and Campo and with a new coach.

How s**t we'll be in comparison to the rest of the competition won't be evident until after about round 6 IMO. I'm wary of the ol' dead cat bounce though, and just as wary about the adjustment to the new setup. Both those situations will meddle with our true standing. I'm expecting a fun roller coaster ride.
I can see us improving for several reasons. Firstly, the players completely gave up this year - they should return with a new sense of enthusiasm next year, now that the perpetrators have been banished. Secondly, I'm hopeful that Nicks will come up with a functional gameplan, rather than the turgid glacial mess which Pyke put in place last year. Thirdly, we should have a lot of younger and more enthusiastic players in the team next year, rather than a bunch of jaded pensioners who are/were on their last legs.

Keath is the only "best 22" player who found his way into the departure lounge. However, his loss is more than covered by the return of Doedee. If anything, our "best 22" is arguably stronger than it was in 2019.

The only downside is that our depth has taken a massive hit. In the past our "next man up" was a player in his mid-late 20s with a mature body (think Greenwood or CEY). In 2020 the "next man up" is likely to be a youngster making his AFL debut. Youngsters can be exciting, but they're also prone to being erratic and inconsistent, whereas mature players tend to be more consistent in their output (for better or worse).

I have to be honest and say that I was somewhat underwhelmed with the announcement of Nicks, but if the rumours are true that he's telling the club to chase quality applicants (even if takes 12 months) and would prefer to wait for the right person rather than just putting a bum on a seat then he's just earned a massive tick from me.
“Next year Walsh/Pyke/Nicks is going to get the assistants he wants”.

This isn’t having a go at your post btw. I’d like to believe it too, but we’ve heard it all before.

“Next year Walsh/Pyke/Nicks is going to get the assistants he wants”.

This isn’t having a go at your post btw. I’d like to believe it too, but we’ve heard it all before.
This is the first time the club has outwardly stated that they will spend over the cap though.

They probably have to regardless because they’re paying Pyke
Not necessarily.

Talk was they're paying Pyke the difference between his salary and Nicks'

I think that was a glaring part of the review they couldn't ignore.

I have to be honest and say that I was somewhat underwhelmed with the announcement of Nicks, but if the rumours are true that he's telling the club to chase quality applicants (even if takes 12 months) and would prefer to wait for the right person rather than just putting a bum on a seat then he's just earned a massive tick from me.

I hope this is the case regarding other appointments and its not a case of:
- Nicks being passively bullied out of going after a senior assistant/line coaches that he wants
- eg "we can get you Joe Bloggs as senior assistant, but he'll have to cover a line as well..." or "you can have Joe Bloggs, but only if they accept an average salary"
- or we procrastinate for 12 months, see an upturn in form as we generally see with new coaches and the argument becomes "why do you even need Joe Bloggs? Your going great!"
- or they change the tune 12 months down the track "we didn't say we would get you Joe Bloggs, we said we'd try, unfortunately it was going to cost too much so you'll have to accept John Smith, he's been doing a great job as a SANFL coach and think he has great potential..."

I'm sorry, but I kind of have very little faith in our club at present for a multitude of reasons.

We were dragged kicking and screaming into the external review and I believe they expected it to come back saying all was fine and dandy, lollipops and rainbows, Burton the best Footy Ops in the business... The review should have started 5-6 weeks earlier at the latest, instead we kept up the "nothing to see here" charade, pointing to the fact that we could still make finals as proof of this.

If we'd managed to win 1 more game and lucked into finals bowing out in the first round, then I suspect we'd still have the same coach/footballing department and the review would never have happened. Remember Chapman keeps telling us our clubs in "really, really good shape", why shouldn't we believe him? :rolleyes:

At this stage, its a case of believing change when it actually happens, until then, holding up a healthy level skepticism is the only way to go unfortunately.

Not necessarily.

Talk was they're paying Pyke the difference between his salary and Nicks'

I think that was a glaring part of the review they couldn't ignore.

But I thought we weren't paying out Pyke? Chapman said so.

I was then hounded down by the usual suspects when I dared question this. Apparently it was just a relocation allowance :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see us improving for several reasons. Firstly, the players completely gave up this year - they should return with a new sense of enthusiasm next year, now that the perpetrators have been banished. Secondly, I'm hopeful that Nicks will come up with a functional gameplan, rather than the turgid glacial mess which Pyke put in place last year. Thirdly, we should have a lot of younger and more enthusiastic players in the team next year, rather than a bunch of jaded pensioners who are/were on their last legs.

Keath is the only "best 22" player who found his way into the departure lounge. However, his loss is more than covered by the return of Doedee. If anything, our "best 22" is arguably stronger than it was in 2019.

The only downside is that our depth has taken a massive hit. In the past our "next man up" was a player in his mid-late 20s with a mature body (think Greenwood or CEY). In 2020 the "next man up" is likely to be a youngster making his AFL debut. Youngsters can be exciting, but they're also prone to being erratic and inconsistent, whereas mature players tend to be more consistent in their output (for better or worse).

I'd agree with most of this. Personally I'd have Greenwood best 22 every day of the week, but can accept that he was borderline for much of 2019.

Our best 22 is still very solid, especially through the midfield/defensive parts of the ground.

The forward line is a little more wait and see, but Walker and Lynch are experienced campaigners, Fogarty's ready to go as #2 key forward and Stengle for the most part should be able to replicate closely replicate Eddie's output for the past 24 months.

People underestimate how much our side was underperforming and how badly the game plan was failing. Correct this and its not unreasonable, IMO, to see a significant upturn in performances.

The same things were no doubt being said about us in 1997, 2005, 2012, 2015... All examples where there was a clear breakdown of the gameplan and players simply stopped responding to the coach. Personally I think there's an underlying cultural issue here at our club, however I still very much think we can turn things around next year.

As you say though, depth will be an issue, instead of having a list of 34-35 players genuinely AFL experienced and ready to go, we'll probably have a list of 29-30 in that bracket. A bad injury run will hurt. Although I think sometimes injury creates opportunities and often young players, especially mid sized players, are often more ready to go than you think. Whilst not mid-sized, ROB/Jacobs was a great example this year, if Jacobs doesn't go down with a knee, ROB probably doesn't play and Jacobs is probably our lead ruck going into next year...

Who would you be be more comfortable with Sheedy or Blight
CAn I play? Sheedy for me. Last thing we need is ”well back in 97 I called a ruckman pathetic and we won a flag because of it, not to mention I walked into the rooms before a game ended because the boys were playing insipid”

CAn I play? Sheedy for me. Last thing we need is ”well back in 97 I called a ruckman pathetic and we won a flag because of it, not to mention I walked into the rooms before a game ended because the boys were playing insipid”
Both getting a bit football senile, but still I respect them both and listen and decifer, want someone strong in character and not tow the party line

Last edited:
Both getting a bit football senile, but still I respect them both and listen and decifer, want someone strong in character and not tow them he party line
A actually to be fair both are stubborn enough to leave emotion at the door and just get down to business

Yes, I expect next year we will be more inconsistent with a younger team, but will be far more interesting to watch than the consistent fade outs we watched this year.

But I thought we weren't paying out Pyke? Chapman said so.

I was then hounded down by the usual suspects when I dared question this. Apparently it was just a relocation allowance :rolleyes:
We know by now not to trust anything that comes out of Chappy's mouth.

Isn't great having a Chair who openely lies to his members then tell us he sticking around for the good of our club...

Have heard from someone who knows someone inside the club (not a player or coach) that Nicks has been on a mission getting to all the players one on one and getting everything straight and clearing the air from the last 2 years, They were very impressed on how he is going about it. Also expect Mattner to have a bigger role this year as he works on installing a "Bloods Culture" due to the Sydney connection and Brett Kirk will be chased over the next 12 months. He is definitely winning me over, It's a big tick from me also....so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back