List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Mega Thread - Pickett is not eligible as F/S or NGA

Remove this Banner Ad

Bergman at 12 is a Marshall at 14 pick.

The sort of pick you do when you know that the three clubs picking after you won't pick Kemp and you can get him at 16. I mean, I rate Bergman a lot...but he's not Kemp.

How I see it going down is like this:

We pick Bergman at 12 because we know that the Dogs, Geelong and Gold Coast are into him, but they are into different players with their second choice.

Bulldogs bid on Henry and pick Weightman.

Geelong picks Worrell because they want to make sure they get the better of Worrell and DeKoning (this is the reason we needed to get ahead of Geelong at 17).

Gold Coast takes Robertson.

Port takes Kemp.

Geelong takes someone like Bianco.

Port takes DeKoning.

I have spoken.
I mean I wouldn’t mind that scenario, but I just reckon it would be way to risky too let go of Kemp until our second pick. I reckon Geelong would take him and settle for De Konning.

Gold Coast would also take Kemp over Robertson in that scenario. While great in theory, I'd rather take Kemp when he's there and bank him. Way too risky and all it will mean after we pass is that someone else will sell the farm for gold coasts pick to get him and rightly so. Crows could give those 2 second rounders of theirs to gc. And bag kemp and mcasey. GC would then get Gould and Day if they slide to there

The advent of live pick trading should put an instant end to any talk of 'we'll pick player Y now because we think player X is more likely to slide to our next pick'. We don't have any idea who's going to slide to our next pick, because we don't even know which clubs will be taking the picks between anymore.

Don't outsmart ourselves. Pick best available at every pick. That's Kemp. I'd rather risk definitely missing out on Bergman than possibly missing out on Kemp.

I mean I wouldn’t mind that scenario, but I just reckon it would be way to risky too let go of Kemp until our second pick. I reckon Geelong would take him and settle for De Konning.

That's why it's one of those things you do only if you're sure of your intel.

Personally, I'd pick Bergman at 12 and then trade 16 and 18 to the Bulldogs for 13 and pick Kemp. That would suit me just fine.

thoughts on toomeys port picks ??

I've already said a fortnight ago I wouldn't be surprised if we took Bergman with 12. I like him more than probably anyone on this forum. He's a great contested mark, can kick from outside 50, gets back into defence and has good vision. Do I like him better than Kemp? Nope, but it's not a slit your wrists pick like some people make it out to be, especially when Kemp won't be at his best for two years.

DeKoning would be an upgrade on Howard. I don't have a problem with him at all. He was U18 All Australian and he plays in front of his man.

It's the last pick that is s**t. I'd rather Cooper Stephens than Harrison Jones if the cards fell that way.

The ultimate would be Bergman, Kemp, DeKoning.

I will say that Green being bid on at 10 would be the biggest ******* joke I've ever seen and prove once and for all that the whole thing is rigged.

"Oh, how many points do those **********s from GWS, a team that made the grand final this year, have? 706 points? Well, make sure the bid comes in at 10 so they are only lose 410 points from their second round pick so even if they win the grand final in 2020, they aren't wiped out of the second round by their decision to get two elite talents this year."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's why it's one of those things you do only if you're sure of your intel.

Personally, I'd pick Bergman at 12 and then trade 16 and 18 to the Bulldogs for 13 and pick Kemp. That would suit me just fine.

So that would five first round draft picks with zero talls selcted.

Club with fewest goals kicked by key forwards in 2019...check.
A list lacking in genuine KPP's...check.
A forward line that is an intercept marker's wet dream...check.
A defence full of third talls playing above their weight and/or height...check.

So that would five first round draft picks with zero talls selcted.

Club with fewest goals kicked by key forwards in 2019...check.
A list lacking in genuine KPP's...check.
A forward line that is an intercept marker's wet dream...check.
A defence full of third talls playing above their weight and/or height...check.
The only problem is there isn’t many number 1 forwards or defenders in this draft class. McAsey and De Konning is about it and De Konning would be a reach. That’s why I’d be going to Kemp, Worrell/Gould and Bergman. Kemp’s a utility who could be a third tall option. Worrell believes he’s only a third tall but if we train him and build his body up he could have a higher scope. Gould will hopefully be an upgrade on Jonas. Bergman the dream would be the type of medium forward linkman type aka. Lynch, Breust, Cripps. De Konning I would take with my third pick if we are unable to take Gould or Worrell with our second. McAsey falling to 14 would be great but extremely unlikely. All in all though while we need KPPs this draft unfortunately doesn’t look like it offers many of those options.

If all goes well and everyone develops as expected (Obviously a few won’t make it) this is what I’d expect our team to look like in 4-5 years only using the players currently on our list, and the guys I expect us to pick up next year along with our F/S and academy guys.
FB: D.Byrne-Jones | T.Clurey | J.Garner
HB: R.Burton | W.Gould | L.Jones
C: K.Amon | D.Houston | X.Duursma
R: P.Ladhams | C.Rozee | J.Mead
HF: M.Bergman | B.Kemp | K.Farrell
FF: Z.Butters | T.Marshall | S.Hayes
I: T.Schofield | S.Powell-Pepper | R.Bonner | W.Drew

Our obvious needs in this team would be in this order-
1: A 195cm+ KPF
2: A 195cm+ KPD
3: An in and out midfielder
We would have to be targeting these in the draft or by trade in the next few years. If someone like a Grundy or Buzza unexpectedly develops into a gun that would help significantly as well.

On the way home yesterday I heard Twomey talking about the draft asked if he sees anyone sneaky into top 20 he said no it's pretty set. When pushed to give a name he said Jones so we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:
I've already said a fortnight ago I wouldn't be surprised if we took Bergman with 12. I like him more than probably anyone on this forum. He's a great contested mark, can kick from outside 50, gets back into defence and has good vision. Do I like him better than Kemp? Nope, but it's not a slit your wrists pick like some people make it out to be, especially when Kemp won't be at his best for two years.

DeKoning would be an upgrade on Howard. I don't have a problem with him at all. He was U18 All Australian and he plays in front of his man.

It's the last pick that is s**t. I'd rather Cooper Stephens than Harrison Jones if the cards fell that way.

The ultimate would be Bergman, Kemp, DeKoning.

In literally no way is Dekoning an upgrade on Howard.

Dekoning is years away from being afl ready, and is well behind Howard as a prospect.

And with Bergman the scary thing is he is being rated on projection more than production. That’s a risky way to draft, especially with high picks.

I dreamed last night that Kemp went at the hawks pick leaving us Serong. We then drafted Bergman and DeKonning. Worrell was gone before our second. I wasn't mad about our haul. The DeKonning pick was the one I was unsure of with Gould on the board

Snoop Dogg released his phantom and I usually like his stuff so:

“# 14 Port Adelaide

Miles Bergman / Sandringham Dragons / 190cm / 77kg

I think some are still jury out on him but I loved what I saw at the carnival and even more so what have seen since. HF / Wing type but he could play back as well. Reads the game so well, covers the ground with his running, plays inside and out, good in the air, got a bit of x factor and a really good user. One of those that has a high footy IQ. He will appeal to clubs big time. I think could land around the 10 – 15 mark.

# 18 Port Adelaide

Sam De Koning / Dandenong / 201cm / 86kg

Really excited by this kid. Didn’t really have a close eye on him but he really stood up at Champs for me as a key defender. His agility and closing speed were fantastic and combined it with a really good ability to read the attackers coming at him. Got good clean hands and is a good ball user.

# 21 Port Adelaide

Jeremy Sharp / East Fremantle / 187cm / 79kg

Really like this kid and think he has some real footy smarts about him. Just knows where to be all the time and is good inside and outside the contest. His kicking can probably be cleaned up a touch but appeals as a winger / utility type who just seems he belongs in the highest grade. Athletically very good and seems to have good running power and burst of speed when required. His agility in game is very good, with him and is really good in the air and clean on the ground.”

He has Kemp and Stephens off the board before our pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back