Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

FirstYearCamp-14.jpg

Unless we are hit with massive injuries, the NB will have some very handy players running around in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
hopefully I will be able to get to a few games although if it rains and the grounds become damp, some of the abuse from the west is hard to cope with - in fact it doesn't pass the respectful mark........

You're not gonna win over people who actually watch these guys play lots of footy with stats. I'm not sure how those particular stats you quoted there came about, but every time I watch Dusty Martin I pray to the footy gods for disposal by foot like that in our team. Generally sublime.
Agree

Newnes. He is actually quite a nice kick. A very good runner (maybe not LOB level). Much stronger body than I ever realised. He’s pretty ‘safe’. LOB will have to force his way in through impact in preseason games.

I also find it hard to see that they picked up Newnes (>150 games?) only for him to start behind a guy who hasn’t proved himself yet.
I actually think OB4Kinobi had a really strong finish to the year and some of his kicking going inside 50 was sensational and set up a lot of goals with it, I think we finally got to see just why SOS rated him so highly as that left peg is something else, admittedly needs to build some size and strength to win his own ball in the contest but really his strength is as the run to space and recieve and then deliver inside 50 which he started to do really well. I think with Setters set for more time inside Newnes probably takes that right hand wing with Lachie on the left.

Correct Newnes was average for the past 2 years at the saints. But he was far from average before that. Mooted as captain material at one stage.
If we get the earlier version of Newnes then we have a best 22 player. His biggest problem I think is that his size suggests a versatile player. However that didn’t translate at the saints when they moved him. Let’s hope that we play him to his strengths.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah his stats prior to the past 2 years are really good, Saints moved him from his preferred wing position to half back and then half forward which really didn’t suit him at all especially the half forward role, hope we use him as purely a wing/half back and not let him anywhere near the hff.

I love seeing Simmo with the first years, wholesome Simmo.

It's not actually a first-year session...

... The players are being grouped by muscle mass...

First year camp, Day 1:

Coaches: "Simmo what are you doing here?"
Simmo: "The camp form said 17-21 years mate"
Coaches: "ahhh yeah since birth Simmo, not since being drafted."
Simmo: "Ah ****"

But seriously, awesome to see the old bloke there!!! :)

Last edited:
First year camp, Day 1:

Coaches: "Simmo what are you doing here?"
Simmo: "The camp form said 17-21 years mate"
Coaches: "ahhh yeah since birth Simmo, not since being drafted."
Simmo: "Ah ****"

But seriously, awesome to see the old bloke there!!! :)
A couple more preseasons with Russell and he will look like an AFL footballer.

Back