Delisted #20: Jacob Townsend - Not offered a contract for 2021, off to the suns as a DFA

Remove this Banner Ad

My original post about Wallis stated that he debuted at the age of 17 but wasn't ready for the rigors of AFL footy - It took him a few years for the 'penny to drop' but at the same time he had an injury ravaged career, especially his hamstrings.
It dropped for a very short time and it was predominantly as a spare man in defence. Should he have been picked for Prem side? Yes for intimidation factor. But he was a very ordinary footballer for most of his career. There would not have been any role for him in today’s game

I take it from the Chicken Little posting in here that we traded a couple of first rounders for him?

I’m not sure what other people don’t like about the selection. For me it’s not the price we paid to get him, it’s the price we pay to play him.

If he’s playing it would (should) only be when we have given up on Laverde, begley and Langford as that type of player forward. Even more dire if he is there to fix our midfield.

I don’t mind If he’s been picked as a pseudo player/coach. A guy who sets standards at training, helps set the tone of expectations, assists in transitioning truck and Caracella’s game plan, and perhaps as that in-case-of-emergency-break-glass guy.

I’m not sure what other people don’t like about the selection. For me it’s not the price we paid to get him, it’s the price we pay to play him.

If he’s playing it would (should) only be when we have given up on Laverde, begley and Langford as that type of player forward. Even more dire if he is there to fix our midfield.

I don’t mind If he’s been picked as a pseudo player/coach. A guy who sets standards at training, helps set the tone of expectations, assists in transitioning truck and Caracella’s game plan, and perhaps as that in-case-of-emergency-break-glass guy.

From how he is being described it seems his role will be to add pressure around the contest, I don't think we need him up forward in that sort of role because Walla covers the role of forward pressure. I would want to see how the preseason goes before assuming what if any roles there is for Townsend in the side but there is a need for extra pressure around the contest which isn't going to come from Langford or Zakka but might come from Lavarde or Begley.

From how he is being described it seems his role will be to add pressure around the contest, I don't think we need him up forward in that sort of role because Walla covers the role of forward pressure. I would want to see how the preseason goes before assuming what if any roles there is for Townsend in the side but there is a need for extra pressure around the contest which isn't going to come from Langford or Zakka but might come from Lavarde or Begley.
Emphasis on the might. Townsend, though limited, wouldn’t have to produce a heap (of pressure or offense) to offer more than Begley or Laverde did this year.

Also - you need more than one player to carry the forward pressure load. Ideally you have 6.

Agree though that it’s hard to know at this stage whether he is 20th or 40th on the list.

Hope you don't mind me posting.

Play this guy in one of your big games against Collingwood, Carlton or Hawthorn and you may well have a cult player because he'll smash his opponent into next week given half the chance.

He knows how to hit hard because of his rugby league background.

What killed his career at Richmond was Tom Lynch. We couldn't carry three leading forwards when the smalls are expected to run flat out. Towna is not going to win the Stawell gift.

I was an oppo coach I'd play a fast rebounding back flanker on him and try to burn him off. But if I was an opposition player I might end up smashed into the fence or cleaned up in a marking contest.

Enjoy!

I am assessing him on his merits - He got early games at the Giants because he had a more developed body and also added hardness which has been a trait of GWS from day one - Yes, he was eventually surplus to requirements at GWS and moved on to Richmond - He only got into the best 22 at the tail end of 2017 because of injuries and struck a purple patch of form for a month - After being dropped after round 8 in 2018, he got back for one more game - The salary cap for a player of Townsend's ilk is irrelevant because these type of players only get 200K or a little more if he is lucky.

That’s still not an assessment of him as a footballer.

What does he bring to the table? I’m not sure he’s going to offer all that much but that’s because of what he is, not because he’s off the scrapheap.

That’s still not an assessment of him as a footballer.

What does he bring to the table? I’m not sure he’s going to offer all that much but that’s because of what he is, not because he’s off the scrapheap.

I've already assessed his worth as a player - Limited kicking skills in traffic, limited vision in traffic, often fumbles ground balls, average speed, average decision-maker, struggles to read the play, poor at spreading from the contest - So he's not going to cut it as an inside mid and he's a worse version of Myers - Doubt he has the smarts to be a long term prospect as a forward and he's not really for this role at EFC.

I've already assessed his worth as a player - Limited kicking skills in traffic, limited vision in traffic, often fumbles ground balls, average speed, average decision-maker, struggles to read the play, poor at spreading from the contest - So he's not going to cut it as an inside mid and he's a worse version of Myers - Doubt he has the smarts to be a long term prospect as a forward and he's not really for this role at EFC.
That assessment could be applied to half our list, give the bloke a chance you may be pleasantly surprised.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You guys have gotten a good one here. As many Richmond supporters have mentioned, I highly doubt he makes it as an inside mid at AFL level. Has always struggled to find the football and his lack of pace gets exposed.

However, I do see him being a great defensive forward for you. He is fantastic with his pressuring skills which means Tippa can focus more on the attacking side of him game and the fact that he is capable of taking on an opposition third tall, negating them and hitting the scoreboard gives you gives not only another goalscoring threat who is deadly accurate, but also improves your forward pressure and will result in repeat inside 50's. Reckon Joey will LOVE having Towner by his side. Always does the team thing. Blocking, shepherding etc.

Sad to see him go but I am happy he found a home. One of these players whose stats never accurate reflect his impact on a game as his impact comes from creating opportunities for his teammates.

Reckon Tippa will have an awesome year alongside Towner if he plays as it means Tippa can focus more on his attacking side.

He IS limited in what he does. But he can do is solid.

In my limited viewing of him, he always seems to be giving away some really ill-disciplined free kicks. We're bad enough with quality forward entries and retention in our forward line as is. We all saw how frustrating it was with Mark Baguley.

Townsend will never be short a beer when he’s an old bas.ard
He grew up with a terrible stutter and probably broke a few ribs belonging to sfellowing wankas.
I think he can play it’s just his first three steps aren’t elite so he looks slow.
He’s a team player and if he can play forward for you guys everyone on your team will know exactly what he’s gonna do if they know how the coaches want him to play.

E11071CC-179A-4AEA-A285-7F029D8512B6.jpeg
58D87559-B600-41C6-A837-AA60A93916C6.jpeg

In my limited viewing of him, he always seems to be giving away some really ill-disciplined free kicks. We're bad enough with quality forward entries and retention in our forward line as is. We all saw how frustrating it was with Mark Baguley.
I don't mind one or two early if they have the effect of unsettling the oppo. If a player like Johannisen or Papley hear footsteps or fear taking possession because Townsend is nuts, I'm good with that.

I am assessing him on his merits - He got early games at the Giants because he had a more developed body and also added hardness which has been a trait of GWS from day one - Yes, he was eventually surplus to requirements at GWS and moved on to Richmond - He only got into the best 22 at the tail end of 2017 because of injuries and struck a purple patch of form for a month - After being dropped after round 8 in 2018, he got back for one more game - The salary cap for a player of Townsend's ilk is irrelevant because these type of players only get 200K or a little more if he is lucky.
Richmond had not one player on the injury list at the end 2017. Hard to believe but was a fact. Yes he had a purple patch, however, he was played for his ferocious attack on the man and his ability to protect fellow team members. Also high goal conversion rate.The only fear Richmond will have of Essendon In 2020 is the physical damage he could inflict to our players.

Richmond had not one player on the injury list at the end 2017. Hard to believe but was a fact. Yes he had a purple patch, however, he was played for his ferocious attack on the man and his ability to protect fellow team members. Also high goal conversion rate.The only fear Richmond will have of Essendon In 2020 is the physical damage he could inflict to our players.

Thanks so much for the update. The penny just dropped for me - now I know who this guy is. Prior to that I’d been picturing Simon Townsend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back