Delisted #20: Jacob Townsend - Not offered a contract for 2021, off to the suns as a DFA

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s obviously quite limited because you basically didn’t see him after quarter time but he’s got this odd ability to catch fire for 10 minutes at a time.

Work ethic based selection

He’s obviously quite limited because you basically didn’t see him after quarter time but he’s got this odd ability to catch fire for 10 minutes at a time.

Work ethic based selection

He has occasional big game flair that you don't really see from those limited skilled players.

I don't know what is the worst part about watching this bozo play.

Whether it's repeatedly spoiling his team mates as he plays like he's Joe Daniher.

Whether it's always being behind the play but making up late ground to hit a body, like it's somehow better than just keeping up with the play.

Or the knowledge that he was always going to kick that goal. There is just something about a bozo player who has the belief of a coach that Bruno cannot stand.

Last edited:
I don't know what is the worst part about watching this bozo play.

Whether it's repeatedly spoiling his team mates as he plays like his Joe Daniher.

Whether it's always being behind the play but making up late ground to hit a body, like it's somehow better than just keeping up with the play.

Or the knowledge that he was always going to kick that goal. There is just something about a bozo player who has the belief of a coach that Bruno cannot stand.
I love it when you talk about yourself in the third person.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love him.
A little bit of me died with Heath Hocking retired as I loved his aggression and put his body on the line for the team.

Townsend has replaced that for me. Limited skill footballer but the aggression is invaluable.

Kicked one of the best set goals of the year!!

Not sure his skills are all that limited. Tackles well. Wins possession, played in a finals/premiership series with the tigers.

Last edited:
Love him.
A little bit of me died with Heath Hocking retired as I loved his aggression and put his body on the line for the team.

Townsend has replaced that for me. Limited skill footballer but the aggression is invaluable.

One thing i like about him is if he makes a mistake he gets angry and goes harder at the next contest.

Ironically the stats men have him as one of 3 Essendon players to not lay a tackle last night. He certainly has moment and a weird ability to catch fire but I wouldn’t call his last two weeks good games.

The fact that he seemingly wants to go to ground every time he has the ball in congestion and he’s almost robotically programmed to just get the ball to the goal mouth even when it’s not the best option irks me.

It’s possible he’s just not very good

I think it’s learned behaviour.

There have been times in the last couple of weeks where he could have tried to hit a target by hand or foot but he deliberately kicked low, skidding mongrel punts into the forward line, which I can only think is to reduce the chance of it rebounding back out through an intercept.

Then when he actually has a play on the ball he seems more intent on a stoppage than actually trying to create a score unless he’s able to mark it, which is one thing he can actually do well.

undroppable at the moment.

if you want to become a high pressure team you can't rely on the same old 20 guys to set the standard.

no coincidence that townsend comes in and our forward pressure goes through the roof. a bit like phillips cracking in against the pies... sometimes it takes just a couple of players to take it up a notch. his marking, his ability (as a not very tall forward) to split packs, and his pressure and presence.. so good.

undroppable at the moment.

if you want to become a high pressure team you can't rely on the same old 20 guys to set the standard.

no coincidence that townsend comes in and our forward pressure goes through the roof. a bit like phillips cracking in against the pies... sometimes it takes just a couple of players to take it up a notch. his marking, his ability (as a not very tall forward) to split packs, and his pressure and presence.. so good.

Agreed, premiership teams are full of role players that are seen as "average". He's setting a standard, others are following.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back