Delisted #20: Jacob Townsend - Not offered a contract for 2021, off to the suns as a DFA

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't get out marked too often, doesn't just arm tackle and is all about his team mates.
When he isn't the only one doing these things it will be time for him to leave the main side, but until then I'm happy to keep playing him.

I have a soft spot for him, but id rather sit down to watch a game on the weekend and see someone who isn't overly skilled (though he is a good set shot) or fast give absolutely everything when the ball is in his area, than watch what some of his more lauded and talented team mates have shown in recent years.

One person that should take note is Dev, he used to play like Townsend, all 1%ers and his game grew off that, now he is just getting angry because he isn't impacting the game as much as he was. Id be sad if that was due to his knee, but if its mindset that is fixable.

See in a win, that stuff is valuable and worth being picked each week.
In a loss though, the 'stats' show he's not doing enough and should be dropped...

He is what he is. A pressure forward (who isn't that quick, but more so a bit of an 'enforcer' who hits to stay hit), who doesn't get a lot of the ball, who is meant to be a decent set shot for goal (been hit and miss this year). And given our current forward line, a potential target to at least kick long to and bring the ball to ground/take a grab.

You're more than welcome (not you in particular, just talking generally here) to think either way as to whether that is enough to warrant a game week in week out. But it annoys me a little when we highlight the 1%ers in players in games we win, and we immediately turn to the lack of stats of certain players as reasons to drop them when we lose.
Not Townsend exclusive, but he certainly fits that criteria.

Bump.

Given we lost, looking forward to a week of quoting his stats as to why he should be dropped

(and yes he was quiet tonight)

The Roar published an article after our first game this season, saying Townsend was one of our 10 most important players. Hard to believe it then, even harder to do so now.

I do think he gets molested pretty much every game, though. Probably should have had a kick for goal directly in front from a free tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club will go into Wednesday’s clash needing to make at least one forced change, with Jacob Townsend ruled out after suffering concussion during Friday night’s game against the GWS Giants.

“Jacob sustained a heavy knock to the cheekbone early in the first quarter and following a head injury assessment he was deemed unfit to return to play. His face was significantly swollen after the game, and subsequently he had a CT scan which cleared him of any facial fractures,” Rundle said.

“The main issue for Jacob this week is that he must follow the concussion protocols which unfortunately rules him out for the Wednesday game but provided all goes well he should be available for the round 12 game against St Kilda.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back