Delisted #20: Jacob Townsend - Not offered a contract for 2021, off to the suns as a DFA

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m happy in the sense that I love watching him play and he wasn’t getting opportunities.
Sad because I love how he plays, they don’t make them like that anymore he sacrificed his own game for the team and he’s scary hard. At VFL games when you could get down on the fence you’d literally hear the audible thump and wind going out of players when he crunches them and plenty s**t themselves and get out of the way too.
Not dirty just bloody hard.
The former Giants boys will know all about it I know one of the original Giants and they used to all shudder at the thought of one on ones with him in their first years. Makes teammates lives easier .

Solid Post, this is what Essendon needs, it's what Dean Wallis was in the side for in the 93 Grand final. It's what Max Rooke bought to the Cats during their premiership years. As long as he performs a role that allows Essendon to trap the ball in forward line and kick goals from other avenues indirectly related to his 1 percenters I will be happy. He isnt expected to be a Tom Lynch or Jack Riewoldt type of forward.

I’m happy in the sense that I love watching him play and he wasn’t getting opportunities.
Sad because I love how he plays, they don’t make them like that anymore he sacrificed his own game for the team and he’s scary hard. At VFL games when you could get down on the fence you’d literally hear the audible thump and wind going out of players when he crunches them and plenty s**t themselves and get out of the way too.
Not dirty just bloody hard.
The former Giants boys will know all about it I know one of the original Giants and they used to all shudder at the thought of one on ones with him in their first years. Makes teammates lives easier .

Thanks for the detailed response.

I'm actually really happy we got him because from everything that I read he is exactly what this team needs. Not just a big body and someone who loves contact, I'd put those as secondary.
The stuff that excites me is the selflessness, and willingness to sacrifice his game for the benefit of the team.
I'd say we have maybe two on the list currently who do it naturally. Hopefully we can start to grow that type of attitude because that is what is holding this group back.

It's also pleasing to see the club knows that is the problem. I'd be more frustrated if they couldn't figure out what the team needs.

Stoked he's gotten another chance at it too from a individual point of view, just like all the other delisted guys. You always like to see people get a second chance.

Thanks for the detailed response.

I'm actually really happy we got him because from everything that I read he is exactly what this team needs. Not just a big body and someone who loves contact, I'd put those as secondary.
The stuff that excites me is the selflessness, and willingness to sacrifice his game for the benefit of the team.
I'd say we have maybe two on the list currently who do it naturally. Hopefully we can start to grow that type of attitude because that is what is holding this group back.

It's also pleasing to see the club knows that is the problem. I'd be more frustrated if they couldn't figure out what the team needs.

Stoked he's gotten another chance at it too from a individual point of view, just like all the other delisted guys. You always like to see people get a second chance.
Jack Reiwoldt speaks very highly of him as he basically used himself as a protector of his space, took care of his opponent in the air, blocked for him etc to his own detriment stats wise, but massive for the team in that 2017 finals series and part of 2018. The players love him and can’t see it being any different at Essendon if opportunities arise.

Apparently recruited to be an inside mid.
Love to see it. Good enough to win a Liston as a mid and he’d be bloody horrible as an opponent in there.

Good role player. Doubt he plays any inside mid time for us, see him as a replacement for Brown as a 3rd tall/hybrid defensive forward.

He looks good though. Just shows how well the Tigers are doing to be able to cut him.

And did play inside midfield as a young bloke after playing Rugby League in Leeton. I saw him play a few games for the NSW / ACT Rams way back in the TAC Cup. Not a bloke I remember a lot of but did have some notes on him. back then my thoughts where a bit slow but attacked the ball hard and given his league background he was a good tackler .
Anyway also found this article.
As RD has said he also had a decent VFL season playing inside midfield.
May be some hope of filling the role even if he did not get much of a midfield look at the Tigers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be surprised by that.

I don't think his tank is good enough and at AFL level has struggled to find the ball consistently. We brought him in for that inside mid role initially but it just didn't work. Best position would be as a half forward/3rd tall option.

I imagine he will compete with Dylan Clarke and Stringer (When he is in the midfield) for the same role.
That being his job is to be accountable for a dangerous opposition mid in clearance situations, and if it looks like we might be in a position to win the stoppage then carve out space for the likes of Zerrett and Shiel as they look to break from contest.

His tackling will come in handy in close as well and his ability to rotate forward makes him a good rotation with Langford and Stringer if we want to go that way.

In reality he is likely just depth that provides some grunt and a physical edge in the midfield and forwardline which is something we didn't have towards the end of last year, and sorely missed in the finals with no Devon Smith and David Myers before he lost all mobility.

The obvious strategy behind this selection: every time one of our senior players makes a limp, half-hearted tackle attempt in a game they get tackled by Townsend at the next training session. Zaka is worried.

Might have Zaka worried about more than just that... If playing Hibberd and/or Townsend inside frees up Merrett and Sheil to play more of an outside game it might be at Zaka's expense.

Jack Reiwoldt speaks very highly of him as he basically used himself as a protector of his space, took care of his opponent in the air, blocked for him etc to his own detriment stats wise, but massive for the team in that 2017 finals series and part of 2018. The players love him and can’t see it being any different at Essendon if opportunities arise.

This is what I want to hear. If he can do it in the guts all the better. A big unit protecting out ball winners will make our midfield look a million bucks.

Knocks on Townsend’s pace. But I ask you does Kyle Langford really ever really cover the ground? Even though he can?

I’d like to see those two go head to head for a spot in the hope that Townsend grabs it first and the only way for Langford to grab it back is to harden uppp.

Townsend is s**t. He sucked as an inside midfielder, got moved forward, had a few good games, got found out, and went back to the VFL because he's s**t.
Everyone's entitled to their own opinions and all but this is a bit of an overreaction don't you think:

drdIAlx.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back