Politics Climate Change Paradox (cont in part 2)

Should we act now, or wait for a unified global approach

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
:tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Major Greenland Glacier Is.................(insert drum roll).........................

............................Growing!

Jakobshavn Glacier in western Greenland is notorious for being the world’s fastest-moving glacier. It is also one of the most active, discharging a tremendous amount of ice from the Greenland Ice Sheet into Ilulissat Icefjord and adjacent Disko Bay—with implications for sea level rise.

1578733987536.png

The image above, acquired on June 6, 2019, by the Operational Land Imager (OLI) on Landsat 8, shows a natural-color view of the glacier.

Jakobshavn has spent decades in retreat—that is, until scientists observed an unexpected advance between 2016 and 2017. In addition to growing toward the ocean, the glacier was found to be slowing and thickening. New data collected in March 2019 confirm that the glacier has grown for the third year in a row, and scientists attribute the change to cool ocean waters.

“The third straight year of thickening of Greenland’s biggest glacier supports our conclusion that the ocean is the culprit,” said Josh Willis, an ocean scientist at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory and principal investigator of the Oceans Melting Greenland (OMG) mission.

The maps above show how the glacier’s height changed between March 2016 and 2017 (top); March 2017 and 2018 (middle); and March 2018 and 2019 (bottom). The elevation data come from a radar altimeter that has been flown on research airplanes each spring as part of OMG. Blue areas represent where the glacier’s height has increased, in some areas by as much as 30 meters per year.

The change is particularly striking at the glacier’s front (solid blue area on the left) between 2016 and 2017. That’s when the glacier advanced the most, replacing open water and sea ice with towering glacial ice. The glacier has not advanced as much since then, but it continues to slow and thicken.

Willis compared the glacier’s behavior to silly putty. “Pull it from one end and it stretches and gets thinner, or squash it together and it gets thicker,” he said. The latter scenario is what is happening now as the glacier slows down: Notice that by the third year, thickening is occurring across an increasingly wide area.

Willis and colleagues think the glacier is reacting to a shift in a climate pattern called the North Atlantic Oscillation, which has brought cold water northward along Greenland’s west coast. Measurements of the temperatures collected by the OMG team show that the cold water has persisted.

“Even three years after the cold water arrived, the glacier is still reacting,” Willis said. “I’m really excited to go back this August and measure the temperature again. Is it still cold? Or has it warmed back up?”

NASA Earth Observatory images by Joshua Stevens, using Landsat data from the U.S. Geological Survey, and data courtesy of Josh Willis/NASA JPL and the Oceans Melting Greenland (OMG) Program. Story by Kathryn Hansen.

Antarctica shock: Scientists' groundbreaking discovery 400ft below ice revealed

ANTARCTICA scientists were stunned by the results of a 400-foot drill into the ice sheet, perhaps revealing a glimpse into the Earth’s future.

By Callum Hoare
14:05, Thu, Jan 9, 2020

Antarctica is the planet's southernmost continent where the geographic South Pole is located and is home to some 1,000 scientists attempting to understand more about the history of Earth and the effects of climate change. However, one programme, known as the Antarctica Drilling Project (ANDRILL), took things one step further by drilling more than 400 feet into the ice sheet, exposing a shocking past. Their experiment was shown during NOVA’s “The Secrets of Antarctica” documentary, in which they hoped to uncover more about past periods of global warming and cooling.

The narrator revealed in 2015: “Unlike drilling through sea ice which is just 26 feet thick the ice shelf here is 400 feet at least.
“But that’s only the beginning, no one has ever drilled through an ice shelf and it presents a challenge because they float up and down with the tide so you’ve got to deal with vertical and sideways change.
“Eventually the drill pipe will get bent, to you need to drill through a thick layer of ice that is constantly moving without breaking.

“To confront this unique challenge, the ANDRILL team invents a new tool, a hot-water drill, this marvel of engineering is a moving ring of heat that blasts jets of steaming water to melt a wide hole so the drill can operate freely through 400 feet of shifting ice. “Once again, time is so precious that the team must work around the clock, not only retrieving cores but also analysing them.”

The narrator went on to reveal the groundbreaking discovery made thanks to the revolutionary drill. He added: “An 80 feet core dates back about three million years and is closely examined. “It contains microfossils of single-celled animals known as forams. “They are from the crucial warm period called the Pliocene and these tiny shells are precise indicators of ocean temperature.”

1578735404711.png

Dr Gavin Dunbar, from the Antarctic Research Centre, explained how the sample of forams may reveal a shock to Earth’s path. He said in 2015: “These guys are about the size of a grain of sand and because the same species lived through time we can use the chemistry and molecule examples to calibrate the ancient examples. “We can measure two metals, magnesium and calcium that are in the ocean that get incorporated into their shells. “That process depends on the temperature of the ocean, so if we know those levels, we can determine the temperature of the ocean at the time that foram lived.

“What this is telling us is that temperatures were three to four, maybe even five degrees above present.

Shockingly, the find may mean that Earth once suffered global warming levels considerably worse than what we see today. However, more research needs to be done to confirm the results. The ANDRILL project involves scientists from Germany, Italy, New Zealand, and the United States and is based at the McMurdo Station. The $30million (£23million) programme has since achieved its operational goal of retrieving a core record of the last 17 million years, filling crucial gaps left by previous drilling projects. It is now up to scientists to study each sample and come up for a future hypothesis.

See, the thing is, the absolute burden of proof is on the advocates of climate change.

And clearly either a terrible job has been done to date by said advocates, or there's not enough substance to their claims.

That is the reason for the inaction to date by the nations that are perceived to be the biggest culprits - USA, China and India.

Posting tinfoil hat websites and organisations with a clear conflict of interest is moronic though. Shows how desperate he is to prove his case. But apparently IPCC is corrupt cause they received 8m worth funding blah blah blah. If IPCC is a bureaucratic organisation what exactly is friends of science? He is the new procrastinator of the board. Whatever proof is published will be dismissed on the basis of personnel and organisation anyway but the same doesn't apply in his case!

Posting tinfoil hat websites and organisations with a clear conflict of interest is moronic though.
Post-truth. All that matters is content to pump into the pipeline. All that notrickszone fella had to was cherry pick the data and know enough to manipulate into something presentable to that pipeline. It would have been viewed a million times for every time a person saw one of the original authors saying basically "No, I didnt actually conclude that".

Post-truth. All that matters is content to pump into the pipeline. All that notrickszone fella had to was cherry pick the data and know enough to manipulate into something presentable to that pipeline. It would have been viewed a million times for every time a person saw one of the original authors saying basically "No, I didnt actually conclude that".
Enough to rope in the dopes.

Whatever proof is published will be dismissed on the basis of personnel and organisation anyway but the same doesn't apply in his case!
Good thing Snake_Baker isn't the one who needs to be convinced in order to progress action on climate change.

Though his stance is not misaligned with some of the most powerful governments in the western world; they are the ones who need convincing.

Good thing Snake_Baker isn't the one who needs to be convinced in order to progress action on climate change.

Though his stance is not misaligned with some of the most powerful governments in the western world; they are the ones who need convincing.

Nothing ever can convince him, speaking from first hand experience. He works in reverse, makes his conclusion up and then looks at the evidence. Read the god thread, it's for everyone to see, when he was bagnging on about how consensus is the most important thing in science. All of a sudden, consensus doesnt matter

Similarly he dismissed IPCC cause they get 'grants' and obviously have a vested interest in their findings then goes on to quote organisations funded by the fossil fuel industry. He is a moron and i think the conversation can go on without him.

Last edited:
Nothing ever can convince him, speaking from first hand experience. He works in reverse, makes his conclusion up and then looks at the evidence. Read the god thread, it's for everyone to see, when he was bagnging on about how consensus is the most important thing in science. All of a sudden, consensus doesnt matter

Similarly he dismissed IPCC cause they get 'grants' and obviously have a vested interest in their findings then goes on to quote organisations funded by the fossil fuel industry. He is a moron and i think the conversation can go on without him.
Nah, I reckon what some of you need is a thread dedicated only to advocates of Climate Change.

Imagine that. No unpicking, no skepticism, full agreement.

Wouldn't that be awesome?

Nah, I reckon what some of you need is a thread dedicated only to advocates of Climate Change.

Imagine that. No unpicking, no skepticism, full agreement.

Wouldn't that be awesome?

Lol skepticism is great, only if you apply the same standard to the sources you are posting.

With respect, I don’t think it’s convincing he’s after. The last 24 hours in this thread has shown just how willing he is to humiliate himself.

Its the desperate need for attention.

”Look at MOOOIIIIIIEEEEEE!!!!!!”

With respect, I don’t think it’s convincing he’s after. The last 24 hours in this thread has shown just how willing he is to humiliate himself.

True and he has already tried to convince others to listen to him cause he is a scientist funded by the Australian government. Are you wondering why science is going up the s**t creek with people like him around?

True and he has already tried to convince others to listen to him cause he is a scientist funded by the Australian government. Are you wondering why science is going up the s**t creek with people like him around?
Classic example as to why you guys need your own thread.

Do it.

Do it.

Cause you don't want anyone to challenge your bullshit sources? he posted an article on glacier without realising scientists are also saying glaciers are NOT expanding and this has been an extraordinary event due to El Nino like conditions and fall in ocean temperature which will correct itsself in the longer term. I am asking for the 'same standards' , it's too much to ask for? why don't you lot start a conspiracy thread then?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has h

Do it.
And right on cue, here comes little Chester

Do it.

It's nearly always about me, and rarely about the stuff I have tabled.

This speaks volumes about the quality of my "adversaries". These people are life's spectators. Pity them.

This speaks volumes about the quality of my "adversaries". These people are life's spectators. Pity them.

It won't be about you. Just don't make a fool of yourself. There are other climate skeptics in this thread, why no ones talking about them? you are the Procrastinator of the board.

Lol. So you’re idol “never gets personal“.

Seriously mate, you need a better mentor.

Who is this tool that claims to know my posting intimately, yet I have barely ever heard about in all my years, much less their supposed ~100 days of existence?

Surely, it's not another piss weak skunk lurking about with an alt account, like some grubby little Peeping Tom?

Begone cowardly excrement, and return with your face unmasked!

I haven’t seen anyone invite so much
Who is this tool that claims to know my posting intimately, yet I have barely ever heard about in all my years?

Surely, it's not another piss weak skunk lurking about with an alt account, like some grubby little Peeping Tom?

Begone cowardly excrement, and return with your face unmasked!
Seriously mate, it takes about two minutes in this place to see you for the dismal little scrubber that you are. Your most recent posts speak for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back