AFL players to take pay cuts in order to carry the AFLW?

Remove this Banner Ad

ZERO solidarity!!!!

You got us........

Why do you delusional SJW types all share the fantasy that you're speaking for everybody else?

Is it a part of your narcissistic spectrum?

The men's competition is also subsidising two "clubs" in NSW & QLD with barely a hope of being self sufficient based on some hypothetical long term increase in revenue. I know which concept bothers me more and it is not a pittance of funding going towards a league that half of the population can finally have a genuine stake in participating.

Of the list of things AFL related that bother me this is at the bottom. I'm more concerned with the constant reaming we get from a fixturing and revenue point of view by being forced to carry two other teams and the majority of their away game burden along with a couple of other Vic teams while the spoils go to the biggest ones.

The two other teams provide an additional game in every round which has a positive impact on the broadcast deal. I doubt the incremental broadcast deal is enough to offset the losses at club level though. It will be interesting to see which project becomes financially viable sooner, the expansion clubs or the AFLW. It may be neither but I would probably bet on the expansion teams.
The argument that the AFL needs the AFLW to appeal to female fans assumes that:
1. The increase in participation by girls and women at the grassroots level will translate into an increased audience for AFL product.
2. That the female audience will be more inclined to watch AFLW than the elite product.

On the first point the track record is not strong. Sports that have had strong female participation for a long time, like netball, never became ratings juggernauts and have mostly relied on the ABC for free to air coverage (i.e no broadcast rights deal). I don't recall women's soccer, cricket, or basketball in Australia ever scoring lucrative rights deals either. That may change in the future.

On the second point, I would ask the question; will women prefer to watch the AFLW over a clearly superior elite competition just because it is women playing the game? It seems a commercially risky proposition to me. Ratings dropped off by 10% in 2019 over 2018.

I completely understand and applaud the participation aspect, and AFL has gained massive momentum on this front. I am just not sure whether it will ever become a commercially viable prospect as a stand-alone professional league.

Another thought I have is that anyone over the age of about 30 lived in an era when there was no such thing as a full time, professional Aussie Rules player. They all had other jobs. Terry Wallace was,I believe, the first to go full time as a player. That means it was well over 100 years before the men's game (the elite product) became a sustainable commercial entity.

ZERO solidarity!!!!

Why do you delusional SJW types all share the fantasy that you're speaking for everybody else?

Is it a part of your narcissistic spectrum?
... so this silent majority

The two other teams provide an additional game in every round which has a positive impact on the broadcast deal. I doubt the incremental broadcast deal is enough to offset the losses at club level though. It will be interesting to see which project becomes financially viable sooner, the expansion clubs or the AFLW. It may be neither but I would probably bet on the expansion teams.
The argument that the AFL needs the AFLW to appeal to female fans assumes that:
1. The increase in participation by girls and women at the grassroots level will translate into an increased audience for AFL product.
2. That the female audience will be more inclined to watch AFLW than the elite product.

On the first point the track record is not strong. Sports that have had strong female participation for a long time, like netball, never became ratings juggernauts and have mostly relied on the ABC for free to air coverage (i.e no broadcast rights deal). I don't recall women's soccer, cricket, or basketball in Australia ever scoring lucrative rights deals either. That may change in the future.

On the second point, I would ask the question; will women prefer to watch the AFLW over a clearly superior elite competition just because it is women playing the game? It seems a commercially risky proposition to me. Ratings dropped off by 10% in 2019 over 2018.

I completely understand and applaud the participation aspect, and AFL has gained massive momentum on this front. I am just not sure whether it will ever become a commercially viable prospect as a stand-alone professional league.

Another thought I have is that anyone over the age of about 30 lived in an era when there was no such thing as a full time, professional Aussie Rules player. They all had other jobs. Terry Wallace was,I believe, the first to go full time as a player. That means it was well over 100 years before the men's game (the elite product) became a sustainable commercial entity.
I don't think it will ever be a choice between the two, rather a supplemental offering. I don't know of anywhere that puts the top league of men's and women's sport against each other.. for reasons you have stated- they're a completely different product.

As far as commercial viability I do think the AFL now is in a much stronger position than the vfl was then, with regards to reach and influence, not to mention the multi million dollar entities at their disposal in the clubs.

And there's the Matilda's reference, the Godwin's Law of female sport conversations.

It is
The AFLW needs to be discussed more dispassionately.

It's a start up that is making a long term play for a massive market. There's no issue with them getting a few crumbs off the table. IMO expanding so rapidly is a mistake and may put their ability to support themselves at risk. We're 3 years in. Give it time.

Would you put your money into it?

Oh lol BigFooty Ben Jacobs isn't going on about attendances is he?

Given plenty of W games get more than our blokes do.

And actually, people did support and demand it.

The first game between the Dogs and Dees, then the teams keen to get involved.

But no POLITICAL AGENTS forced it on us ffs.
He’s a hypocritical *******. Loves to bang on about private school kids being ridiculously privileged but when someone dares counter the 100 year old privileged male football community he chucks a hissy fit like s 5 year old,

Yet another alt' account tool who selectively appears out of nowhere.

The club is getting 20% of what I gave it last year, so dive in to your pocket and make up for all the bullshit that I won't be sponsoring this year.

If watching this grand old club getting bent over and politically prostituted by outright non football interests sits well with you, then you were never a traditional North person to begin with. The same goes for all of you other tossers that can't handle uncomfortable truths.

Hahaha a women’s football team is a non football interest. You’re a genius.

Diving into my pocket is a good idea though. I’m going to buy a North AFLW membership to cover your pissweak protest. Dedicated to you mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rhyce Shaw goes out of his way to support them - he's all "one club".

As those who tuned in would have seen, he rocked up to the girls' game on Saturday and was interviewed at a Quarter Time break.

For anyone who may have missed it, here's how he responded to the 'joint jumper presentation'/'one club' question.....

Rhyce:
"It's just really important that we see ourselves as one club, and the girls are a big part of that. The boys have been fantastic in including them as much as we possibly can....they do some gym work together every now and again....the crossover is there and it's no big deal anymore. It's a fantastic place to be."

Obviously, I'm not sure how much stock we can put in his words given that he was no doubt just spouting the company line as directed by the dark forces of PC outrage culture that have hijacked the club, but thought I'd post it anyway.

ooo 12 year old alt account, that's commitment.

1bdcux.jpg

Credit to the mods for allowing people to air their honest opinions in this thread.

We live in a time when people are being increasingly discouraged from sharing what is in their hearts and minds.

If you really want to throw a spanner into the works of people who talk about equal pay, ask them this:

Why aren't the winners of the wheelchair tennis at the Australian Open paid the same as the male and female winners?

tenor.png

Bringing it back to the football club we all love and care about, I was disappointed to see the jumper presentation go the way it did.

But I understand this is the modern world, especially in Australia, especially in Melbourne of all places.

There are benefits to promoting 'pathways' for young girls who want to follow their passions, including playing top level sport.

If I were a parent of a young girl, my only concern would be that by the time Suzie makes it to rep level, she'll be playing against...

r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

NTTAWWT... right?

I mean, we're not allowed / supposed to have a problem with this, right?

In fact, I want to know, what is our club doing to:

a) Break down the wooden ceiling stopping Hannah from playing, and

b) Recruit Hannah to the club to help our girls lift the AFLW trophy?

Hopefully at next year's jumper presentations, we'll see Hannah up there with Old No 7 and Ben 10.

Come on guys, it's 2020, time to get with the program :stern look

We live in a time when people are being increasingly discouraged from sharing what is in their hearts and minds.

People conflate 'freedom of speech' with 'freedom of being a campaigner'.

There's no problem discussing opposing views provided it's clear and grounded.

When people engage in hyperbole or shitposting, those people are less likely to get a favorable response.

Credit to the mods for allowing people to air their honest opinions in this thread.

If you really want to throw a spanner into the works of people who talk about equal pay, ask them this:

Why aren't the winners of the wheelchair tennis at the Australian Open paid the same as the male and female winners?

tenor.png

Bringing it back to the football club we all love and care about, I was disappointed to see the jumper presentation go the way it did.

But I understand this is the modern world, especially in Australia, especially in Melbourne of all places.

There are benefits to promoting 'pathways' for young girls who want to follow their passions, including playing top level sport.

If I were a parent of a young girl, my only concern would be that by the time Suzie makes it to rep level, she'll be playing against...

r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

NTTAWWT... right?

I mean, we're not allowed / supposed to have a problem with this, right?

In fact, I want to know, what is our club doing to:

a) Break down the wooden ceiling stopping Hannah from playing, and

b) Recruit Hannah to the club to help our girls lift the AFLW trophy?

Hopefully at next year's jumper presentations, we'll see Hannah up there with Old No 7 and Ben 10.

Come on guys, it's 2020, time to get with the program :stern look

my only query is we are being told to keep our POV quiet

There is more outrage over everything being posted on the interwebz than ever before

Rhyce:
"It's just really important that we see ourselves as one club, and the girls are a big part of that. The boys have been fantastic in including them as much as we possibly can....they do some gym work together every now and again....the crossover is there and it's no big deal anymore. It's a fantastic place to be."

Obviously, I'm not sure how much stock we can put in his words given that he was no doubt just spouting the company line as directed by the dark forces of PC outrage culture that have hijacked the club, but thought I'd post it anyway.

He wouldn't have a ******* job if he stated otherwise.

Always with the snide indirect comments. It's piss weak.

You didn't even get pissed off when Sonja claimed it was SHE rather than YOU who singlehandedly saved the club back in 2007.

FIGHT for your "scarves & water" legacy Charlie!!!

Last edited:
my only query is we are being told to keep our POV quiet

There is more outrage over everything being posted on the interwebz than ever before

Confucius say "Man who use internet to discuss complex topics is doomed to anger, much better over 5 pints of beer and a Wednesday Parma"

It is mostly unwatchable however I can understand why the AFL and its clubs are throwing cash at it. I’m sure there’s plenty of sporting clubs out there that have benefited from government/council funding to their facilities because of the increase in girls playing sport/AFL. The more girls that play footy, soccer, netball etc the more funding they should receive.

Why?

. The AFL are basically spending money on the womans game because they want the next Sam Kerrs of the world playing footy not soccer or cricket. Tapping into the female market is probably a smart move by them.

So the AFL weren't terrified of netball up until a couple of years ago?

More and more girls are playing sport so more and more government money for the AFL industry to plunder.

NOW, you have hit on the real TRUTH!

I guess my only issue is the aesthetic of the actual game and the rolling pack that leads to low scores and cluttered games. If Cricket can modify its game to “improve” the spectacle, I don’t know why the AFL hasn’t modified the rules further for AFLW. I would get rid of both Wings and Centre to start with.

I guess my only issue is the aesthetic of the actual game and the rolling pack that leads to low scores and cluttered games. If Cricket can modify its game to “improve” the spectacle, I don’t know why the AFL hasn’t modified the rules further for AFLW. I would get rid of both Wings and Centre to start with.

Did you take note of the attendances at the T20?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back