Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

My point was simply there was nothing "stopping us from having Gibbons play in the JLT or practice matches" because the decision was made well in advance of that point. Its like saying there was something stopping us from having Walsh play in the JLT.

Your lack of comprehension and insistence on labouring a non-existent debate is astounding.

There is something stopping Cunico, Moore, Webb and Sturgess from playing practice and preseason matches. The same thing that had been communicated to the clubs last year, when Gibbons was notified (as per his own words) that unless he was listed by a club he would be ineligible to play in those games.

It's not that i won't be selecting him, but i can make the call that he is not available for selection.
Well according to what Russell said Harry is supposed to be stepping up his training load now so if he isn’t then maybe he felt a twinge in his groins and they have backed him off again, let’s hope and pray this isn’t the case because it would be very bad in terms of him playing early in the year, also could be a sign of a more serious groin issue ala Daniher, god I hope not. 😔😌

I think both can play together in the same team! They both can have stints in the midfield when Cripps needs a rest
They were both monumental in coordination, in our victory against the Saints late last year.

Look at 24 seconds in!!✊

I think both can play together in the same team! They both can have stints in the midfield when Cripps needs a rest
Of course they CAN. But we have added Betts, Martin and a fit Cuningham to the forward mix.
They are both slow, and don't have the height to replace Harry. I reckon TDK does that. My discussion earlier with Blue Balls got moved to the New Roles thread. The only way I see them both playing (barring further injuries) is if Jack tags.
The speed of the early rounds is up a notch - as the season progresses they are more likely to play together imo.

If Harry doesn't come up for round 1, just play Levi and TDK in the key posts

Would rather see Kennedy than TDK for round 1. Mix it up a little and see if he can prove as effective as a leading forward as he was at times over the second half of last year.

Would rather see Kennedy than TDK for round 1. Mix it up a little and see if he can prove as effective as a leading forward as he was at times over the second half of last year.

Why not both?

Switch it up, Kennedy as the leading FF, TDK in the pocket as that get out kick, Levi at CHF

Martin Levi McGovern
TDK Kennedy Fisher/Cuners/Betts

Last edited:
Why not both?

Switch it up, Kennedy as the leading FF, TDK in the pocket as that get out kick, Levi at CHF

Martin Levi McGovern
TDK Kennedy Fisher/Cuners

If we are debating an extra tall vs an extra mid, I will almost always go the extra midfield option.

You can overpower teams with height, but I don't think we see that anywhere near as often as one team being too strong for the other in the midfield. And more often than not that'll come about because you've got better - or simply more - midfield rotations.

With the players you have put forward and the roles they play, TDK is competing with Levi for a spot, rather than with Kennedy. Levi gets the nod there.

Martin - Levi - Cuningham
Betts - Kennedy - McGovern

Go in with the extra tall and Richmond will simply run us off our feet.

....in the remaining 20....all three are in our best 22.

I can see Gibbo transitioning into the midfield more regularly this year, with the aim of largely taking over Murph's role as he disappears into the sunset.
Yeah not sure about Gibbo taking over Murphy’s role, based on the pre season so far it’s more than likely that Cunners might be the one to slowly increase his midfield minutes while rotating with Murph forward, with Murph taking the majority to start with and slowly giving Cunners more and more as his confidence and fitness grows. They tend to share a lot of the same attributes and Cunners if he can stay fit would be the ideal replacement for Murph.

Could see Gibbo and Fish sharing midfield minutes between playing that high half forward role as they both play that role at times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forward line is certainly becoming an area of concern with McKay and Charlie almost certain to be unavailable early in the year.

Martin Casboult Cuningham
Betts McGovern Silvagni

With Kennedy rotating through as well.

JSOS suddenly becomes super important as the 3rd tall, bringing the ball to ground for us whenever possible and using his elite scrambling ability.

Hopefully this is enough firepower to get us some wins in the first half of the year. Not ideal at all.

If we are debating an extra tall vs an extra mid, I will almost always go the extra midfield option.

You can overpower teams with height, but I don't think we see that anywhere near as often as one team being too strong for the other in the midfield. And more often than not that'll come about because you've got better - or simply more - midfield rotations.

With the players you have put forward and the roles they play, TDK is competing with Levi for a spot, rather than with Kennedy. Levi gets the nod there.

What happens when Kreuzer rests and Levi rucks?
People argue that Kennedy can go into the middle, but TDK adds the rucking flexibility.
It is also insurance for the loss of a tall anywhere on the ground - Levi covers the loss - TDK is still a tall target.

I don't mind that forward setup at all, but, if Mckay was fit how would you select that forwardline?

I’d like to see TDK introduced periodically through the year, because it appears he just goes at it, he wants to fly without fear.
That’s great, but his body ain’t right yet, the big kids need to their body to catch up with desire.
He is the future, let’s protect the future.

Your lack of comprehension and insistence on labouring a non-existent debate is astounding.

There is something stopping Cunico, Moore, Webb and Sturgess from playing practice and preseason matches. The same thing that had been communicated to the clubs last year, when Gibbons was notified (as per his own words) that unless he was listed by a club he would be ineligible to play in those games.
this fellow is already full-bodied tall Forward... I don't mind the backup given we may miss Mackay and Curnow for the start of the season and at only 23 has definitely got development and upside in his favour and comes from a successful culture.. Nick Austin will be all over him with inside intel.

What happens when Kreuzer rests and Levi rucks?
People argue that Kennedy can go into the middle, but TDK adds the rucking flexibility.
It is also insurance for the loss of a tall anywhere on the ground - Levi covers the loss - TDK is still a tall target.

I just don't see Teague wanting to take a raw young beanpole into round 1 against Richmond. The potential momentum and groundswell of support from winning that game would be enormous, and for that reason, among others, I think we go for a more experienced and physically mature side.

If Harry doesn't come up for round 1, just play Levi and TDK in the key posts

Casboult and McGovern the key posts
JSOS, Kennedy and Martin the mid-sized, fwd-mids
Eddie is.... Eddie

Of course they CAN. But we have added Betts, Martin and a fit Cuningham to the forward mix.
They are both slow, and don't have the height to replace Harry. I reckon TDK does that. My discussion earlier with Blue Balls got moved to the New Roles thread. The only way I see them both playing (barring further injuries) is if Jack tags.
The speed of the early rounds is up a notch - as the season progresses they are more likely to play together imo.

Agree with the speed comment, just not your conclusion from it. If the game is being played at high speed and intensity, quick thinking natural footballers like Kennedy and JSOS are much more valuable than an inexperienced kid who is more likely to be overawed by the occasion. What's the biggest crowd TDK has fronted?

this fellow is already full-bodied tall Forward... I don't mind the backup given we may miss Mackay and Curnow for the start of the season and at only 23 has definitely got development and upside in his favour and comes from a successful culture.. Nick Austin will be all over him with inside intel.

Played well against us (NB) - so half locked :p

Casboult and McGovern the key posts
JSOS, Kennedy and Martin the mid-sized, fwd-mids
Eddie is.... Eddie
Come on ferris, what sort of forward line is that...

Gov = x-factor
JSOS = x-factor
Martin = x-factor
Eddie = xxxxx-factor
Cas = beast mode-factor
Kenners = mid rotation with Crippa-factor = "**** you all" factor

Way too predictable for my liking ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back