2019 Financial Results

Remove this Banner Ad

In the WA case that sees a decent amount return to the WAFC which runs WA footy there is.

courtesy of The Wookie posting the Eagles 2019 result:
the Company has again delivered a substantial royalty to the West Australian Football Commission (WAFC) of $4,051,091 to support the local football community, the WAFC’s community programs and importantly the WAFL Clubs. Since 1987, in total this contribution to the WAFC has exceeded $145 million for the development of AFL in our state.

courtesy of The Wookie posting the Eagles 2019 result:
the Company has again delivered a substantial royalty to the West Australian Football Commission (WAFC) of $4,051,091 to support the local football community, the WAFC’s community programs and importantly the WAFL Clubs. Since 1987, in total this contribution to the WAFC has exceeded $145 million for the development of AFL in our state.

Yes of course i am aware of the bolded, however should Freo keep making losses you can see that amount stopping or being reduced.

That is why the WA clubs SHOULD be making profits, notwithstanding the huge base they have all to themselves.

A 22 million dollar profit!? Jesus H tapdancing Christ!

A quick google tells me that the Tigers made a profit of 4 million in 2019 (https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/213695/tiger-army-record-sponsorship-key-to-2019-financial-result).

Can anyone explain in laymans terms why the gap is so freaking huge? With 2 flags in 3 years I woulda thought Richmond would have made easily twice as much?

Basically WCE have monopolized a huge part of the states footy fans, nothwistanding being a fantastically run club with a second to none winning culture.

There should be 3 AFL clubs in WA, keeping membership prices down, allowing more people to see games and diluting the strength of the WCE.

I could be wrong but even with the new stadium there are still the same amount of fans going to the footy very week in WA than there was in the 1970/80's.

I know that was the case back at Subi, possibly more now, but on the other hand maybe less as a % of the population.

Basically WCE have monopolized a huge part of the states footy fans, nothwistanding being a fantastically run club with a second to none winning culture.

There should be 3 AFL clubs in WA, keeping membership prices down, allowing more people to see games and diluting the strength of the WCE.

I could be wrong but even with the new stadium there are still the same amount of fans going to the footy very week in WA than there was in the 1970/80's.

I know that was the case back at Subi, possibly more now, but on the other hand maybe less as a % of the population.
I can’t see why any west coast supporters would jump off such a gravy train of success for a new team. If anything a 3rd team with draft and afl assistance would probably dilute the freo fan base and they don’t even fill the stadium as is.
3rd team won’t bring any new viewers or money

A quick google tells me that the Tigers made a profit of 4 million in 2019 (https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/213695/tiger-army-record-sponsorship-key-to-2019-financial-result).

Can anyone explain in laymans terms why the gap is so freaking huge? With 2 flags in 3 years I woulda thought Richmond would have made easily twice as much?

TBF, 13m of that profit was government funding received to pay for a slice of their new facility at Lathlain. But take that out and it's still a $9 million profit, far in excess of anyone.

The gap is so huge because they've got a huge supporter base that are prepared to pay big time for memberships. $26.5m in membership income, $14 million in corporate hospitality income. $4.7m in signage, another $10 million from the gate. That's $55 million just from matchday. That would utterly dwarf every other club.

Last edited:
Lyon took them for a ride IMO.

Freo should be making plenty of money, plenty of money to grow the club and footy in WA.

FFS they have 50/60 thousand members.

I hope under the new coach they play a WA brand of exciting open football.

There's 3 main reasons for it from what I can see. The first is the Lyon payout, that was probably over $1 million. 2nd is the drop in membership income - Freo have pushed a lot of 3 game and GA memberships - this might make the numbers look better, but if you've just converted premium reserved seat members to a cheaper package then the net result is less money in. The 3rd is that spending is huge. I saw figures from about 6 months ago suggesting that Freo spent more on their footy department than any other team. And then you have the outrageous cost of playing at Optus. If you've never been to a game there you wouldn't understand this - but the number staff that are employed (and paid) to do completely meaningless jobs is crazy. You could cut 100 people and no-one would notice. For instance, there's 2 guys whose sole job it is to hold a sign outside the train station - one points one way for Joondalup, the other one way for Fremantle. The thing is, they're standing next to a big electronic sign that says exactly the same thing. Never mind the dozens of people that are employed to close off roads that are nowhere near the stadium on the other side of the river. It must cost a hundred thousand bucks a game paying people to do utterly useless jobs.

In the end, if the club comes good on the field they'll have money coming out of their ass again.

Its an example of how AFL clubs classify income - ALL clubs do it, usually to turn a loss into a profit.

Auditors must get a shiver down the spine when signing the audit report, not saying its not legal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The momentum for a Tassie team will be interesting. Melbourne, North and Saints continue to be clubs lagging on and off field. Surely all three are not viable! Relocation/merge makes a heap more sense but will the AFL play another Fitzroy card?
Yep, now that the AFL owns a stadium in Melbourne, they'll be keen to play as few games there as possible.

I can’t see why any west coast supporters would jump off such a gravy train of success for a new team. If anything a 3rd team with draft and afl assistance would probably dilute the freo fan base and they don’t even fill the stadium as is.
3rd team won’t bring any new viewers or money

Freo support is far more localised the WC, a third team may take a bit of WC support but both teams IMHO would not suffer.

Football is built at its base on attendance, it always has been, TV may pay for it, but unless you have seen games live and quite a few of them, watching a game on tele can be a very confusing experience.

2 teams in a city of 2 million plus in the second biggest AFL market in the world is under capitalization IMO.

WCE was dead set against Freo coming in, stating it would make everyone poor!, a third team would IMO be about par but not strangle the market for fans, sponsorship, membership prices, zones etc

Yep, now that the AFL owns a stadium in Melbourne, they'll be keen to play as few games there as possible.

Paddling against the flow Wolfy - games relocated to Darwin, the Alice, NQ, Ballarat, China, Launceston & Hobart, not to mention the fail in NZ.
Mate, in Melbourne supply exceeds demand & has done for a long time.
Clubs like North were fine in the State league days where the opposition fans rocked up, thats 30 years ago.

Where would the Eagles be ranked in all sporting teams in Australia profit/loss?

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Can depend on how you define "sporting teams" and "profit/loss"

Are you measuring the sports team, or sports team and all its commercial businesses?

In 2019 West Coast made:
  • $21,840,266 net profit (including $13m of Development Funding)
  • $8,026,853 profit from ordinary activities (including $1.8m of investment income /gain on disposal of investments)
  • $6,225,337 profit from football/sporting operations
By comparison the Sydney Roosters made:
  • $57,446,919 comprehensive income (including $48m of asset revaluation)
  • $9,148,059 profit from continuing operations (including $6.4m of income tax benefit)
  • $2,769,091 profit before tax
  • $(2,091,137) loss from football/sporting operations.

Can depend on how you define "sporting teams" and "profit/loss"

Are you measuring the sports team, or sports team and all its commercial businesses?

In 2019 West Coast made:
  • $21,840,266 net profit (including $13m of Development Funding)
  • $8,026,853 profit from ordinary activities (including $1.8m of investment income /gain on disposal of investments)
  • $6,225,337 profit from football/sporting operations
By comparison the Sydney Roosters made:
  • $57,446,919 comprehensive income (including $48m of asset revaluation)
  • $9,148,059 profit from continuing operations (including $6.4m of income tax benefit)
  • $2,769,091 profit before tax
  • $(2,091,137) loss from football/sporting operations.

In 2014 Sydney roosters made 36 million from pokies, dont think things have changed.

Other leagues clubs that benefited from gambling were the Sydney Roosters ($36.7mm),

Remove this Banner Ad

Back