Opinion New AFC HQ: Stalled Indefinitely

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would we move from one suburb to another?
Also how good is our proposal $65 million including facilities for the public. I saw somewhere hawthorn has a $100 million proposal?
Have a look at the Hawks set up it's on a 28-hectare site which they brought, its contains an MCG size oval, Marvel stadium-size oval, a small kids oval,a 50 meter arch for goal kicking, and a soccer pitch, plus extras.
1582331156251.png

The only place we get that is at west beach next to the Giants setup,
I’m starting to think this is the best site, caravan park across the the road holiday makers can walk across the road watch training hopefully a meal and ale, 19th hole for the golf course,home base for giants games and admin,let the Nth Adelaide nimby look after their own crumbling aquatic centre

Have a look at the Hawks set up it's on a 28-hectare site which they brought, its contains an MCG size oval, Marvel stadium-size oval, a small kids oval,a 50 meter arch for goal kicking, and a soccer pitch, plus extras.
View attachment 827099

That’s next level impressive.

The Hawks get a lot of s**t right.

The baseball field is very long and extremely skinny. Doubt there's room for a proper oval there.

Barrett Reserve I think it's called.

Also not that I care deeply about local baseball myself but there are very few baseball facilities around as it's harder for them to share with other sports due to the pitcher's mound, infield dirt and home run fences.

Would be a massive blow to baseball I imagine if they were kicked off.

Not to mention that West Beach is the headquarters for Diamond Sports SA, and they actually operate the facility. Asking them to move so the Crows can set up a facility could actually cause more of a backlash than the Aquatic Centre.

While the Giants train/play there as it’s the best baseball facility in Adelaide, the Giants front office is actually at AFC HQ.

Can anybody else understand the backlash of the Crows revamping the old aquatic centre site from the eye saw it is today. Completely understand why the rest of the country thinks Adelaide is a backwater now.

Can anybody else understand the backlash of the Crows revamping the old aquatic centre site from the eye saw it is today. Completely understand why the rest of the country thinks Adelaide is a backwater now.
Firstly I'd be happy for afc to go ahead with the development. There are though some legitimate arguments against it.

Mainly the park lands surrounding the city are essentially preservation areas to maintain a green belt. There is a concern that if private companies start developing them this will be the lost. This is basically the Adelaide conservative ethos. Not entirely unreasonable though.

IMO the most reasonable concern is that it is an unsolicited bid. It's not like the government or council put out a public tender asking for partnership redevelopment where there was, say, twelve months of notice then a competitive bid process.

There is a fair argument that other companies may have made better offers or provided better facilities to benefit the public.

In this case AFC has offered to redevelop the aquatic centre, but the facilities will still be substantially privately use on public land.

There is not a suite of options where govt or council can select the best. Just approve or deny this request.

So - what's the downside of people actually developing the parklands and having more people use them?

A belt of green inactivity around the city achieves what, exactly?

Thanks to the Nth Adelaide resident for leading the charge as a backwater RU1
If they really want to be a nuisance, let them continue to have higher council rates to pay for the hemorrhaging Aquatics Centre.

We would never have had the redeveloped Adelaide Oval if this was taken out of their hands.

Selfish self-interests.... so remind them of how much they are paying to keep the status quo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So - what's the downside of people actually developing the parklands and having more people use them?

A belt of green inactivity around the city achieves what, exactly?
There is no downside of note.

That says everything about those who are against it.

Firstly I'd be happy for afc to go ahead with the development. There are though some legitimate arguments against it.

Mainly the park lands surrounding the city are essentially preservation areas to maintain a green belt. There is a concern that if private companies start developing them this will be the lost. This is basically the Adelaide conservative ethos. Not entirely unreasonable though.

IMO the most reasonable concern is that it is an unsolicited bid. It's not like the government or council put out a public tender asking for partnership redevelopment where there was, say, twelve months of notice then a competitive bid process.

There is a fair argument that other companies may have made better offers or provided better facilities to benefit the public.

In this case AFC has offered to redevelop the aquatic centre, but the facilities will still be substantially privately use on public land.

There is not a suite of options where govt or council can select the best. Just approve or deny this request.
We are increasing the green belt... by reducing the existing footprint & keeping the ovals in better condition.

We are increasing the green belt... by reducing the existing footprint & keeping the ovals in better condition.
Again, I don't have a problem with the development and isn't my argument, but a common concern. It's more concern about creep and more requests from private companies to develop the belt.

Yes, a genuine LOL. More seriously, this sort of error is obviously caused by a lack of reading (except for reading social media posts of others who never read). The education system has a lot to answer for.
Booo .. it’s a football forum, as long as the message was clear does it really matter

This is one reason I hope south parklands is an option that might be one of the 30 looked at - the map below show an area possibly not used by any clubs of some sort, that could easily fit a football field.

If we can somehow buy a property on the south side of Greenhill Rd nearby to build a club admin/training/social facility and get a long term agreement to have access to this parklands area, the club could develop the area as an open green area with better grass. And by sharing it with other community groups for its use, we get around the private use by a commercial group complaint.

The spot is also very close to the tram line so getting to/from Adelaide Oval could be easy.

greenhill-rd-jpg.827821

Again, I don't have a problem with the development and isn't my argument, but a common concern. It's more concern about creep and more requests from private companies to develop the belt.
And I 100% agree with you, we need to protect the parklands my issue with this backlash is it appears to be backlash for backlash sake.

It ticks all the boxes, it returns land to parkland, it creates a new community centre and it will enhance the parklands significantly.

I get the AFC is viewed as a corporation, but it's not like they do nothing outside play AFL.

As for Rival bids, well there is crickets for a reason, no one else can provide such an obvious win/win.

Future bids I hear you say, well on merits as this one is.

This is one reason I hope south parklands is an option that might be one of the 30 looked at - the map below show an area possibly not used by any clubs of some sort, that could easily fit a football field.

If we can somehow buy a property on the south side of Greenhill Rd nearby to build a club admin/training/social facility and get a long term agreement to have access to this parklands area, the club could develop the area as an open green area with better grass. And by sharing it with other community groups for its use, we get around the private use by a commercial group complaint.

The spot is also very close to the tram line so getting to/from Adelaide Oval could be easy.

greenhill-rd-jpg.827821
I hope they have plan b in the works.

Have a chat to a University perhaps.....

There are already other private companies in the parkland.

There is no creep, as we are returning more green space with a smaller footprint & better maintaining existing space.

It's a no brainer except for those who have no brain. ;)

Back