Preview Pedigree Bulldogs v CGU Magpies

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Bevo was worried about the Pies being too tall both times last year, but I think we‘ve gone on far too tall, we’ll be slow as a week in jail tomorrow night.

Hey Fossie 32 are you going to run the margins first goal and attendance threads this year?

I’m itching to give it a go. Reckon I’ve finally got the crowd thing worked out.
Yikes! Thanks for the reminder!

1584611214378.png

Thought the same. He spent significant time in the ruck during the VFL season last yr. Means Bruce and Naughts can stay fwd full time.
It makes sense considering Bruce and Naughts have both had some niggles in recent weeks and we don’t want to subject them to playing ruck. Young can play 3 different positions depending on how the game is going.

The Gardner selection still baffles me.

Dont like suckling in the forward line, nor do i think Wood deserves a spot on pre season form.

Excited to see Gardner and Cavarra.

Why are you excited to see Gardner?
He has played before and been quite poor at senior level.
He was poor again in Mash series game 1 (have seen only highlights for Marsh game 2 so can't comment).

Thus far he has shown no outstanding abilities and pretty poor composure and game sense despite his mature age and experience.
I hope he proves me wrong and plays well but his form does not warrant a round 1 selection when we have few injuries.

He was poor again in Mash series game 1 (have seen only highlights for Marsh game 2 so can't comment).

Thus far he has shown no outstanding abilities and pretty poor composure and game sense despite his mature age and experience.
I hope he proves me wrong and plays well but his form does not warrant a round 1 selection when we have few injuries.

I think he's playing because the club wants to see what he'll be like with more development, and he can't develop in the VFL for however long.

It makes sense considering Bruce and Naughts have both had some niggles in recent weeks and we don’t want to subject them to playing ruck. Young can play 3 different positions depending on how the game is going.

The Gardner selection still baffles me.
I wonder of there will be a late change. I just can't see a match-up for him at either end. Cox is their main tall, Mihocek plays as a mobile 192cm type then they have the smalls. In our forward line i think Bruce, Naughts and English/Young is already pushing the limits. With shorter quarters, English shouldnt need much of a chop out anyway. I think Gardner out for Richards would be my preference.

Or, the club is preparing for a period of condensed games in the near future and is trying to spread the load across all our talls as evenly as possible in the first couple of games, so as to aid recovery and decrease risk of injury. If we get to the point of playing 4 games in 3 weeks, then there is no point burning out our best prospects in the first month.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B.smith on the wing excites me m9re then it should
I've been calling for it. Keen to see how he goes, he could make that wing his own.
Are you also excited to see Johannisen at centre-half back?

Why do you people still read into team sheet positions? They mean nothing. Bailey Smith will play the exact same role he was playing last year.

Are you also excited to see Johannisen at centre-half back?

Why do you people still read into team sheet positions? They mean nothing. Bailey Smith will play the exact same role he was playing last year.
Would usually agree. Jj won't be chb and suckling won't be hff but think there is a high chance Smith spends most of his time on the wing (swapping with suckling)

Would usually agree. Jj won't be chb and suckling won't be hff but think there is a high chance Smith spends most of his time on the wing (swapping with suckling)
I doubt it. He’ll spend a lot of time in the middle as our 4th mid. We really only have 5 players who are genuine mids in the team. Very light on compared to a typical Dogs team.

He was shoehorned into a KPF role at AFL level because we had no other options. He's been far better at KPD, and had actually been decent during the preseason and practice match

He was shoehorned into a KPF role at AFL level because we had no other options. He's been far better at KPD, and had actually been decent during the preseason and practice match
That's right. The 2 games he played at all level last year he was forward/second ruck

Bevo thinks it’s AFLX, so he’s named a bunch of talls again to troll everyone. Obviously English’s backup will be Dunkley, and occasionally Bont - Gardner and Young will be required for their run off half back and inside ball work. Players will be lethargic due to lack of atmosphere, low scoring draw: 7-11-53 apiece, Dale the only multiple goal kicker across both teams.

I think he's playing because the club wants to see what he'll be like with more development, and he can't develop in the VFL for however long.

You're probably on to something there weltschmerz, as therein lies the heart of our selection problems. We often prioritise player development objectives over ensuring we put our strongest team on the field. It appears that Bev isn't happy to just field a strong team and maximise our chances of winning, he wants to do it in a way that gives him a chance to be considered a player development genius at the same time.

This strategy has cost us dearly the last three years, and I fear it may continue to do so.

We should be entering tomorrow night's game as favourites but instead we go in slight underdogs.
Let's hope all the boys play well and Bev ends up looking like a genius.

You're probably on to something there weltschmerz, as therein lies the heart of our selection problems. We often prioritise player development objectives over ensuring we put our strongest team on the field. It appears that Bev isn't happy to just field a strong team and maximise our chances of winning, he wants to do it in a way that gives him a chance to be considered a player development genius at the same time.

This strategy has cost us dearly the last three years, and I fear it may continue to do so.

We should be entering tomorrow night's game as favourites but instead we go in slight underdogs.
Let's hope all the boys play well and Bev ends up looking like a genius.

There’s zero chance Gardner’s playing purely as part of his development.
We aren’t talking about dead rubbers in a 22 round season, this is Rd1 of a shortened season. Whether we’re confused by his inclusion or not, the coaches obviously see Gardner’s role in the team as being pretty important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back