Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. (Thread part 1 - cont in part 2, link in thread)

Has the coronavirus outbreak made you reconsider attending the footy

• Yes

Votes: 285 44.9%
  • No

Votes: 350 55.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at all these people pretending to give a flying fu** about the elderly.

Most people I know never visit their family members in nursing homes.

In fact not long ago these same internet warriors were propagating 'okay boomer' and dismissing anything people over 40 had to say.

Now all of a sudden they are happy to be 'locked down' for weeks on end and have small businesses wrecked to 'save the old people'.

Crocodile tears and false pretense everywhere.

So most people you know never visit their family members in nursing homes. Do they send you regular reports on the frequency of their visits to see the parents and grandparents in nursing homes. You either just made that up or the people you know aren't representative of the community - based on many of your posts in this thread both of this things might apply.

If you think this is only about the old people then you have a very poor understanding of the impact of Covid 19. I won't bother trying to explain it to you - many others have tried. For what its worth I know of two young people in Italy who have spent time in ICU with Covid 19. One is 29 years old and a very fit runner and athlete and we hope he will be out of ICU in three or 4 days. Another is a doctor in his early 40s who has been working very hard in one of the towns in Lombardy and is OK now but also spent time in ICU. And I don't actually know that many Italians. The United States are also concerned about the impact on younger people.

Certainly most of the people that die from this will be older and/or have other illnesses but there will be a significant impact on others.

And in case you didn't notice economies around the world might just be struggling a bit.

So most people you know never visit their family members in nursing homes. Do they send you regular reports on the frequency of their visits to see the parents and grandparents in nursing homes. You either just made that up or the people you know aren't representative of the community - based on many of your posts in this thread both of this things might apply.
Speak to anybody who has worked in a nursing home and they will tell you, the majority of nursing home residents are lucky to receive one visit per month.

And why a global pandemic exists. Where thousands of people who don’t participate in the activity will die. And why the world will enter an economic depression.

This has been a source of other viral outbreaks. But No, let’s just be culturally sensitive to the way China breed, sell and consume their food, despite what happens to the rest of the world.
Wow, that is a simplistic response.
the idea that you want to punish China is stupid.
You should be culturally sensitive regardless.

Doctors are mostly concerned about the 30-60 age group. Mostly males. Reason being they are getting serious respiratory issues that require care/equipment/resources.

Sydney is stuffed. Will be the first city to be overwhelmed and have to go in to lock-down. Hospitals will be swamped by the end of next week.

People just cant get this through their thick skulls.

s**t is about to get real. This is serious. It is not 'alarmist'.

As I said in another thread it’s scary some muppets on here may be parents.

Agree

I 'm not for one minute suggesting that Covid 19 is not a serious matter.

I fully support the measures undertaken in this country so far. Taking sensible precautions is paramount but it shouldn't take a pandemic to make us realise this. If we all took a bit more care with our day to day personal hygiene, the incidence of "flu" and other transmittable diseases would be greatly reduced.

I just object to doomsday scenarios being painted that do nothing but frighten the living crap out of eveyone.

I think people should be worried, but people are panicking, and doing so about the wrong things.

The virus is unlikely to kill or cause serious illness for most of us, but actions and choices we make personally can have a drastic impact on the outcome for the community.

If people take this seriously and take action themselves; hygiene, isolation, distancing, consideration of others, then we can have a positive outcome which mitigates long-term economic impacts.

It seems so far we’ve got a lot of people doing none of the above and simply panicking, or denying the gravity of the issue.

How do we have nearly the same cases as Japan? They were the first country outside of China to contract.

Japan have handled things very differently to us here, Taiwan is an even better example.

If you think this is only about the old people then you have a very poor understanding of the impact of Covid 19. I won't bother trying to explain it to you - many others have tried. For what its worth I know of two young people in Italy who have spent time in ICU with Covid 19. One is 29 years old and a very fit runner and athlete and we hope he will be out of ICU in three or 4 days. Another is a doctor in his early 40s who has been working very hard in one of the towns in Lombardy and is OK now but also spent time in ICU. And I don't actually know that many Italians. The United States are also concerned about the impact on younger people.

Certainly most of the people that die from this will be older and/or have other illnesses but there will be a significant impact on others.

And in case you didn't notice economies around the world might just be struggling a bit.

Don’t say “most“, be honest. 99.5% or there abouts over the the age of 60, maybe a little more than most?

I think people should be worried, but people are panicking, and doing so about the wrong things.

The virus is unlikely to kill or cause serious illness for most of us, but actions and choices we make personally can have a drastic impact on the outcome for the community.

If people take this seriously and take action themselves; hygiene, isolation, distancing, consideration of others, then we can have a positive outcome which mitigates long-term economic impacts.

It seems so far we’ve got a lot of people doing none of the above and simply panicking, or denying the gravity of the issue.

Japan have handled things very differently to us here, Taiwan is an even better example.

Death rate here in Australia is 0.7%..

Based on the ABS the flu has a 0.5% death rate and infects 100s of thousands of people. Theres a reason alarmist and drama queens won’t compare, it doesn’t fit the shock value and the doomsday narrative they are enjoying promoting.

If anyone wants to work out percentages and death rates then do so from official sources, and remember we live in Australia, not Italy or Spain or the US so let’s concentrate on our data. I don’t see any of you blabber on about Africa’s HIV rate as a comparative figure that we would use in Australia “because it’s an example of what COULD happen without action”. Pathetic.

Covid19 death rate Australia: 0.7%
Flue death rate Australia: 0.5%

I'm sick of hearing how we (Australia) are tracking "just like Italy"

Some facts:

1) Median age in Italy= 45.4; Australia =37.9 (current)

2)Smoking Rate in Italy (2016) =23.70%; Australia (2017-18) = 13.8% )
(the above were the the most recent stats I could find for both countries)

So the smoking rate in Italy was nearly double (four years ago)than what it was in Australia two to two and a half years ago.

Like any virus, Covid 19 attacks the respiratory system. You don't have to be Einstein to draw an inference here.

3) Health Care expenditure as a percentage of GDP (2016) Italy 8.9% ; Australia (2016) 9.25%

4) Reported Coronavirus cases in Italy on Feb 28 = 822; Deaths = 21 (Death rate of 2.55%)

Reported Coronavirus cases in Australia today = 876 ; Deaths = 7 (Death rate of 0.80%)

We are "tracking" nothing like Italy.

Check my post above. People are moronic fools, genuinely inept nuffies.

Japan have actually severely undertested.

My brother in law lives in Tokyo, he is moving here in just under a week, it’s been very stressful for and his wife. You wouldn’t be caught outside now without a mask, Japanese are very courteous and respectful of health, they naturally take an emergency response to disease without much encouragement from government. Great people the Japanese.

I'm sick of hearing how we (Australia) are tracking "just like Italy"

Some facts:

1) Median age in Italy= 45.4; Australia =37.9 (current)

2)Smoking Rate in Italy (2016) =23.70%; Australia (2017-18) = 13.8% )
(the above were the the most recent stats I could find for both countries)

So the smoking rate in Italy was nearly double (four years ago)than what it was in Australia two to two and a half years ago.

Like any virus, Covid 19 attacks the respiratory system. You don't have to be Einstein to draw an inference here.

3) Health Care expenditure as a percentage of GDP (2016) Italy 8.9% ; Australia (2016) 9.25%

4) Reported Coronavirus cases in Italy on Feb 28 = 822; Deaths = 21 (Death rate of 2.55%)

Reported Coronavirus cases in Australia today = 876 ; Deaths = 7 (Death rate of 0.80%)

We are "tracking" nothing like Italy.
What is concerning though is that in NSW for example, we have only seen 10 cases confirmed in people aged over 80. Of these 10 cases, 5 have died. Australia has 940,000 persons over 80 or thereabouts. If the elderly numbers begin to increase, the death rate will likely increase also.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And why a global pandemic exists. Where thousands of people who don’t participate in the activity will die. And why the world will enter an economic depression.

This has been a source of other viral outbreaks. But No, let’s just be culturally sensitive to the way China breed, sell and consume their food, despite what happens to the rest of the world.

Man people just love to play victim don’t they. Trust me, many Chinese people, more than an Australia’s worth, are as much a victim in this regard as you are. People who’ve never eaten an exotic animal and eat what you would probably call a relatively “normal” diet.

Some people would rather just point and blame en mass than understand the nuances I guess. It’s just easier. But I don’t get why the US isn’t getting some of this point and blame too then. It’s Australia's no.1 imported source of the virus after its leader spent many weeks obfuscating facts and claiming it as some personal “hoax” attack against him.

20/3/20 - +167 = +23.52%
19/3/20 - +142 = +25.00%
18/3/20 - +116 = +25.83%
17/3/20 - +77 = +20.37%
16/3/20 - +77 = +25.75%
15/3/20 - +49 = +19.60%
14/3/20 - +42 = +20.10%
13/3/20 - +50 = +31.45%
12/3/20 - +24 = +17.78%
11/3/20 = +20 = +18.69%
10/3/20 = +14 = +15.05%

Based on the ABS the flu has a 0.5% death rate and infects 100s of thousands of people. Theres a reason alarmist and drama queens won’t compare, it doesn’t fit the shock value and the doomsday narrative they are enjoying promoting.

If anyone wants to work out percentages and death rates then do so from official sources, and remember we live in Australia, not Italy or Spain or the US so let’s concentrate on our data. I don’t see any of you blabber on about Africa’s HIV rate as a comparative figure that we would use in Australia “because it’s an example of what COULD happen without action”. Pathetic.

Yeah, I guess you are right tige19

Every other major government, health organisation and epidemiologist in the world is wrong and just drama queens and alarmists.

I mean, forget the data, the 3 leading Australian epidemiologist's that fronted the National Press Club are also wrong when they said this is around 10-12 x more deadly than the regular flu.

Congrats.

You cant really calculate the death rate for COVID-19 based on the current data, simply because of our 876 cases, only 46 cases have recovered (hence we have no end data for them). We dont have end data for the 823 cases that are current unresolved cases.
If we did do that, then we can say that for the 10 known cases in NSW in people over 80, the death rate is 50%. (10 known cases, 5 died).

You cant really calculate the death rate for COVID-19 based on the current data, simply because of our 876 cases, only 46 cases have recovered (hence we have no end data for them). We dont have end data for the 823 cases that are current unresolved cases.
If we did do that, then we can say that for the 10 known cases in NSW in people over 80, the death rate is 50%. (10 known cases, 5 died).

But that’s how world bodies are measuring death rates, the rest is a guess.. if and when the deaths are formalised and registered then they will increase the %, but as it stands that’s not happening. You can’t forecast someone to die if the reality is they probably won’t. Just keep watching the numbers, I would be highly shocked if death rates were greater than 1% here.

Yeah, I guess you are right tige19

Every other major government, health organisation and epidemiologist in the world is wrong and just drama queens and alarmists.

I mean, forget the data, the 3 leading Australian epidemiologist's that fronted the National Press Club are also wrong when they said this is around 10-12 x more deadly than the regular flu.

Congrats.

Stats and data doesn’t lie, deal with the facts not the fiction. Let’s continue to asses real numbers please.

It’s sad how bigfooty threads start out being balanced and informative, then degenerate to just a few people who revel in extreme views triggering each other.

I don’t think they hold extreme views just get off on the triggering of each other, and allocation extreme views Of the other extreme to some group of people who have long vacated the forum cos it’s turned to poo.

we are still in a wait and see phase here. Latest reports is 2/3 of discovered cases here come form returned folk. The community spread is not large yet or just unknown. It may be a good sign. If we are to be a location where size of community spread is an issue, we may still be several days behind other locations, and still in the unknown phase

Man people just love to play victim don’t they. Trust me, many Chinese people, more than an Australia’s worth, are as much a victim in this regard as you are. People who’ve never eaten an exotic animal and eat what you would probably call a relatively “normal” diet.

Some people would rather just point and blame en mass than understand the nuances I guess. It’s just easier. But I don’t get why the US isn’t getting some of this point and blame too then. It’s Australia's no.1 imported source of the virus after its leader spent many weeks obfuscating facts and claiming it as some personal “hoax” attack against him.

Realistically, as we all prepare to sit in for a prolonged stint of isolation, you could rightfully blame China for fostering the conditions to create and the subsequently fail to control the pandemic. You could just as rightfully blame US policy for its accelerated spread.

But really, the only source of responsibility that's worth a damn to us as a nation is to Scott Morrison who failed to close the borders early enough to stop/minimise the initial infection in this country based on a spectacularly misguided and myopic notion of keeping international trade going. Both medically and economically we really missed the boat to control our outbreak and subsequent recovery which has led to this us having to do a very fine balancing act between the 2 and crossing our fingers to hope that it works out.

I'm not a fan of the idea of kids being in school as the reasoning behind both is at best contradictory and worst flat out inept but I can see why we're in the position we are to keep them going. I don't think the current round of stimulus is really going to the right areas but at least something is happening. It's this sort of cognitive dissonance we've been left with after the initial inaction where, really, we're trying to do the medium amount for both worlds and hope.

It's the same for the footy: Any idiot can see it's not a great idea for cohorts of 40+ to be flying around the country every week and risking exposure in transit (and is quite honestly a bit delusional to think nothing bad can happen) but even I can't help appreciate the effort being made and how much impact it can have on a society in a very bleak time.

So, really, we f@#%ed up and missed our chance, but whilst we're here in the happy medium lets just enjoy the footy and the things that are somewhat joyful until it stops. That's all we can really do now. Go Freo!

It’s sad how bigfooty threads start out being balanced and informative, then degenerate to just a few people who revel in extreme views triggering each other.

I don’t think they hold extreme views just get off on the triggering of each other, and allocation extreme views Of the other extreme to some group of people who have long vacated the forum cos it’s turned to poo.

we are still in a wait and see phase here. Latest reports is 2/3 of discovered cases here come form returned folk. The community spread is not large yet or just unknown. It may be a good sign. If we are to be a location where size of community spread is an issue, we may still be several days behind other locations, and still in the unknown phase

I think people on my side of the pendulum who are less alarmed are trying to balance out the extreme catastrophic promotion that others are preaching. For instance I was going through posts on the general discussion board and at this stage based on 1 posters calculations we should be 3000+ cases and 100+ deaths by now, it’s utter nonsense.

This is a big problem and challenge for our country, the seriousness is not understated but the continued fudging of stats and ineptness of analysing graphs and percentages is ridiculous.

Realistically, as we all prepare to sit in for a prolonged stint of isolation, you could rightfully blame China for fostering the conditions to create and the subsequently fail to control the pandemic. You could just as rightfully blame US policy for its accelerated spread.

But really, the only source of responsibility that's worth a damn to us as a nation is to Scott Morrison who failed to close the borders early enough to stop/minimise the initial infection in this country based on a spectacularly misguided and myopic notion of keeping international trade going. Both medically and economically we really missed the boat to control our outbreak and subsequent recovery which has led to this us having to do a very fine balancing act between the 2 and crossing our fingers to hope that it works out.

I'm not a fan of the idea of kids being in school as the reasoning behind both is at best contradictory and worst flat out inept but I can see why we're in the position we are to keep them going. I don't think the current round of stimulus is really going to the right areas but at least something is happening. It's this sort of cognitive dissonance we've been left with after the initial inaction where, really, we're trying to do the medium amount for both worlds and hope.

It's the same for the footy: Any idiot can see it's not a great idea for cohorts of 40+ to be flying around the country every week and risking exposure in transit (and is quite honestly a bit delusional to think nothing bad can happen) but even I can't help appreciate the effort being made and how much impact it can have on a society in a very bleak time.

So, really, we f@#%ed up and missed our chance, but whilst we're here in the happy medium lets just enjoy the footy and the things that are somewhat joyful until it stops. That's all we can really do now. Go Freo!

Theres many people who disagree with you.

Do you have any formal qualifications that supersede those that are advising the government? If so, perhaps you should offer your services.

The fact you, plus many others believe SCOMO makes medical decisions on behalf of Australia is comical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back