GOAT series Part 1 (GAS)

Is GAS the GOAT?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If you want a KPF the goat is debatable, but probably Coleman or Hudson or Lockett.
If you don't want a KPF the goat is Matthews.

GAS and Carey and Franklin and Bartlett and others in the tier below.

End thread.
Ablett only spent 3.5 years as a full time full foward. these years were when both lockett and dunstall were at their peaks. ablett won 3 colemans. And he did it all over the age of thirty.

Goal average per game during his full foward years was as high as coleman and hudsons and comfortably higher then lockett and dunstalls. And all of these years was when he was over 30 and had lost a yard of pace and his leap. He was a class above all the other full fowards and he prooved it by beating them at their own position when his peak athletic years were already behind him.

Ablett only spent 3.5 years as a full time full foward. these years were when both lockett and dunstall were at their peaks. ablett won 3 colemans. And he did it all over the age of thirty.

Goal average per game during his full foward years was as high as coleman and hudsons and comfortably higher then lockett and dunstalls. And all of these years was when he was over 30 and had lost a yard of pace and his leap. He was a class above all the other full fowards and he prooved it by beating them at their own position when his peak athletic years were already behind him.
Ablett only won the Coleman in 93 and 94 due to Lockett missing most of those years

I get that he wasn't a full forward before 1993, but he wasn't really a midfielder either. In the 1980s he averaged fewer than 15 disposals per game. Statistically he was kinda always a forward, even though he obviously ran all over the place (like Carey and Franklin and others).

I don't think you can just cherrypick his best few years and say they get to represent his whole career.

I mean think about Matthews if you just took 1975-1978.

At his peak, his very best output, I don’t think we’ve ever seen a better footballer. He had absolutely everything. He could do anything.

Huge leap
Super quick
Booming kick
Strong as a bull
Vice-like hands
Ultra aggressive
Incredible goal sense

You name it, he had it.

Whether he had the best career, who knows. Whatever. But his best was the best.

lil garrie always got a armchair ride whar are you talking about

Really we are picking up a handful of examples from 250 games and using those as arguments now?

there are examples of dustin martin punching players in the face in front of the umps and the umps calling play on. Doesnt mean its even remotely representative of his career.

Last edited:
And the Richmond, Carlton, Hawthorn and North Melbourne sides of the 60s, 70s and 80s would beat them all, I'll even back the Collingwood sides of that era to beat them too
You are comparing the best sides over 30 years with the best sides over a 6 year period.

and oddly enough one of those sides was the same literal side.

you need to find another 6 year period not decades.

I get that he wasn't a full forward before 1993, but he wasn't really a midfielder either. In the 1980s he averaged fewer than 15 disposals per game. Statistically he was kinda always a forward, even though he obviously ran all over the place (like Carey and Franklin and others).

I don't think you can just cherrypick his best few years and say they get to represent his whole career.

Im not cherry picking his best years. Im picking his full foward years including his worst season when his body was riddled with injury at 35.

his best year was 89. Not 93-96.

Before 93 ablett primarily played a traditional half foward flanker role which simply does not exist today As flankers today are now basically midfielders. before 93 ablett also spent some time as an old fashion winger and some time as a deeper foward pocket. But mostly as a half foward. Half fowards didnt run up the field to get loose possesions like they do now enabling the good ones to regularly rack more then 20 disposals a game.

I wouldn't say his best years were the 3 years he won the Coleman. For me his best years were the late 80s, he was really in his prime then, when he was lighter and playing further up the ground.

Breathtaking.

Back