Is GAS the GOAT?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

STRONGandBALD

Club Legend
Jun 13, 2023
AFL Club
Richmond
Hey with all the Dusty threads and GOAT polls I thought it’d be interesting to see what people think regarding some of the Big name GOAT contenders. If this thread is popular I’ll go on to other players.

First time making a thread so I’m not sure if I’ve made this correctly with the poll.

First up is GAS is he the GOAT yes or no? Feel free to add your reasons.

It’s a no for me

Never won the games highest individual honour (Brownlow). Never won the games highest team honour (Premiership). For those with 500+ goals his goal per game average is 8th (yes, I realise he wasn’t permanent full forward). Won 1 x club B&F. Of his 4 x grand finals 1 was average and 2 were well below average. Was chosen on the bench in the team of the century, so it seems the sands of time have elevated him beyond what opinion was in the moment.

He was a great of the game no doubt, but bottom line for me is the GOAT can’t have both the highest individual honour and highest team honour missing from the resume, unless he had some other exceptional record others didn’t possess …. like averaging 6 goal per game for example.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no GOAT.

If it is up for debate then there is none.

Almost as bad as the UFC saying Nunes is the "women's GOAT' when pro women's MMA has existed for less than 10 years.

Spare me.

There is no GOAT.

If it is up for debate then there is none.

Almost as bad as the UFC saying Nunes is the "women's GOAT' when pro women's MMA has existed for less than 10 years.

Spare me.
I wouldn’t go that far, but the goat needs to be infront by a fair margin & produce it for their whole career. So many of the suggestions for goat took awhile to get going or only had 5 elite years.

Bradman is the goat in cricket (batsman). No one stands out in AFL as much to be considered so it is too subjective.

Hey with all the Dusty threads and GOAT polls I thought it’d be interesting to see what people think regarding some of the Big name GOAT contenders. If this thread is popular I’ll go on to other players.

First time making a thread so I’m not sure if I’ve made this correctly with the poll.

First up is GAS is he the GOAT yes or no? Feel free to add your reasons.

It’s a no for me
oh dear, this is all getting too much for you isn't it?

No. He was only good enough to play in the AFL for the last 7 years of his career, whereas dusty has done it his entire career!!

From the cohort of 7th most successful footballers in their families, G Ablett Snr is probably sitting just ahead of 18 yo Maria Rioli at this stage of her career, but she has plenty more power to add.

So yes, at this stage Ablett Snr is the GOAT of the 7th most successful footballer in their families, that we know of, so far.

Back