Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. Part 2 * CONTINUED ABUSE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED *

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s never before been an effective vaccine developed for a coronavirus. Perhaps we find one, or perhaps the virus weakens and we give up the hunt. Who knows. Either way, it could be as long 18 months one becomes available.

I sure won’t claim to know which way this all goes or who “comes out way ahead”. I just think if countries approach this differently, we’ll leave an awful lot of information for future generations to learn from.

Yeah we won't know how this all shakes out until the end of the year but for the time being I am sure the smart people in the world are doing everything they can to help with prevention, mitigation, cure and just generally whatever they can to help in fighting the pandemic. This event will be one for history books in every nation around the world.

Disgraceful, what are these people thinking? It's probably the people that don't have it too bad, otherwise you'd imagine they would not be well enough to leave the house...

I heard a story two days ago, and its a Perth story it might be bulldust too, but I heard that a bus driver was positive and had been working all of several days, a family member who works in a large office, heard this from some who worked there who had travelled on buses, and it was them who brought in the info.
Have any Sandgropers heard of this, or is it scuttlebutt?

Australian citizens and permanent residents still have the ability to return home.

Bringing with them COVID-19. Thanks guys. Wish you stayed overseas.

EDIT: I support people coming back though. Don't yell at me!

Last edited:

I heard a story two days ago, and its a Perth story it might be bulldust too, but I heard that a bus driver was positive and had been working all of several days, a family member who works in a large office, heard this from some who worked there who had travelled on buses, and it was them who brought in the info.

Bus driver came back from the US and worked about eight days before falling ill and testing positive for COVID-19.

They have released the routes he drove.

The key thing to remember is he arrived back home from before the self isolation rules were imposed.

Apparently Victorian police did a spot check of 88 who should be self-isolating - of those, only 70 complied (some may have been at a different address or some reason didn't answer the door but 7 were definitely not at the location).

Very disappointing.

Edit - the figures:

So far police have:

• Police have made 88 spot check visits as of today
  • Of them, 70 people were home and doing the right thing, self-isolating
  • Seven were not home and police are following them up
  • A couple of people provided the wrong details to Border Force about where they were supposed to go and they are being followed up.
  • And a couple of people are being chased up as to where they are self-isolating

As I said most people do the right thing but a few * it up for everyone else. The government has stuffed it by not putting measures in place.

Listening to the deputy CMO right now what a moron. If you're sick and have symptoms stay home otherwise if your asymptomatic go out and spread it to everyone else.

Last edited:
Bus driver came back from the US and worked about eight days before falling ill and testing positive for COVID-19.

They have released the routes he drove.

The key thing to remember is he arrived back home from before the self isolation rules were imposed.

OK thank you for that, my family member is freaking out.

Bringing with them COVID-19. Thanks guys. Wish you stayed overseas.

Even in these difficult times citizens have a right to return home. Given the enormous disruptions to flight schedules around the world, they will still be coming in over the next few weeks you'd imagine.

However, I wish we would track and closely monitor them and at the least do spot checks to ensure compliance with self isolation.

Even in these difficult times citizens have a right to return home. Given the enormous disruptions to flight schedules around the world, they will still be coming in over the next few weeks you'd imagine.

However, I wish we would track and closely monitor them and at the least do spot checks to ensure compliance with self isolation.

Yeah I do agree. It just sucks because that is where most of the cases are coming from. And as you said our tracking and monitoring of these people is lackluster which means community spread is inevitable.

Don’t overrate yourself here. Those who solely blame the CCP for the outbreak of this virus here aren’t really thinking, as much as feeling. A thinking person would understand that the factors involved are multivariate and would seek to understand as many as possible.

I didn't say the CCP was solely to blame for the outbreak here, some other countries governments could have also handled it better including Australia's but it was the CCP's incompetence and obfuscation in the initial stages of the outbreak that enabled it to become such a bad pandemic.

Apparently Victorian police did a spot check of 88 who should be self-isolating - of those, only 70 complied (some may have been at a different address or some reason didn't answer the door but 7 were definitely not at the location).

Very disappointing.

Edit - the figures:

So far police have:

• Police have made 88 spot check visits as of today
  • Of them, 70 people were home and doing the right thing, self-isolating
  • Seven were not home and police are following them up
  • A couple of people provided the wrong details to Border Force about where they were supposed to go and they are being followed up.
  • And a couple of people are being chased up as to where they are self-isolating
Unsurprising really. There are always those that ruin it for everyone.

In my cabin on the plane home everyone was talking amongst themselves about where they planned to self-isolate. That provided some comfort. I think the vast majority of us want to do the right thing.

Unsurprising really. There are always those that ruin it for everyone.

In my cabin on the plane home everyone was talking amongst themselves about where they planned to self-isolate. That provided some comfort. I think the vast majority of us want to do the right thing.

people are complete campaigners. They play the it won’t happen to me card and * everyone else. They will be the first to whinge that they haven’t got work or not getting government assistance when they are the *silly people that are apart of the problem. Dumbarses.
Good to hear people on your flight doing the right thing. Bet your arse there are some that aren’t

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was in the news.-In this crisis the media is not your friend important to know.-
The bus driver is one of those who came back from overseas and beat the quarantine deadline by a day or so.Those People are a dead set liability.But importantly he was not symptomatic until the day before he got tested.All in 133 had paid cash for bus rides with him driving in the 8 days since his return from os.

This is a difficult time for everyone mate. I wish I could have kept travelling this year. I had huge plans that are now scuttled. I mainly came home to give my family some peace of mind.

Yes I understand. I got no problems with people coming back. It was merely just a statement. I just wish our government handled the arrivals better. That is who my beef is with.

Are our government for real? Is this a joke?

There is no end up their imcomptency.

I have no doubt if our government officials were in Italy, the numbers would be triple there.

I have no doubt if our government officials were in Italy, the numbers would be triple there.
But they are not in Italy and our numbers are bugger all

this is typical government at work. Get all shirty with the general population who dont have it yet, but decide its all too hard where real risk is occurring

That’s in line with current testing criteria. Unless you’re showing symptoms, no test.

It's all the people who adopted the she'll be right attitude. All the nuffies who quoted on here we have a low rate, no deaths, it's an overreaction, etc.

I was like that at the very start, I thought it would blow over like many of the other scare viruses like SARS and Swine Flu/ Bird Flu, etc. but I changed my tune quickly.

If we had locked down a week or 2 ago, we'd be in a much better spot now. How we are not currently locked down still boggles my mind.

Australian's right now are still not sensible enough to flatten the curve. You can see it everywhere, I drove to fill up petrol a few days ago and it didn't look any different than usual when I drove past a set of street shops.

We need mandated, enforced lockdown. Australian's aren't sensible enough to do it of their own accord. Many of us are guilty of that at times, so take away the temptation by making it an offence.
SARS ws much more deadly than Covid19, and MERS was more deadly than SARS, but Covid19 has already killed more people than those diseases even infected, combined.

Its not the death rate people will remember, but the deaths.

quick grab your pitch fork and hit the streets to riot

They already have more active cases than anyone else. Though to be fair, also more population, apart from China and their fake figures.
US figures are fake to, perhaps more so than Chinas. I have seen reports from Drs in New York that they are getting lots of people coming in for tests, that have all the symptoms of the disease, but do not require hospitalisation. They are being sent home to self isolate, without getting tested.

So, the death rate is going to start to skyrocket in NY, as they restrict testing to the really sick, meanwhile there are a shitload of people, hopefully self isolating, who almost certainly have it, but who are not counted in the stats.

No-one has any idea how long this will run for. We're flattening the curve. We're not stopping the virus.

I'm hoping like everyone else that someone finds a miracle cure or that we're somehow special vs other countries on the same path. But hope is not a strategy
So correct. Some media hare hypeventilating as if there is a cure. This can not be stopped but it can be slowed - thats our best and only strategy. The modeling is really about timing to optimise the flattening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back