Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

It was the very worst of us and the very best of them from that game came together for 100 minutes on that fateful day. A perfect storm.

It was the very worst of us and the very best of them from that game came together for 100 minutes on that fateful day. A perfect storm.

Honestly I don't think it was even that. I don't think we played particularly badly that day. Geelong just played the most complete game of football I've ever seen.

I remember watching from the stands and thinking it looked like they had 30 players on the field, such was their ability to seemingly outnumber us all over the ground.

2014 Prelim was on this morning. What a game. You could just see the team about to enter into a period of sustained success.

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

jack-nicholson-anger-the-shining.gif

2014 Prelim was on this morning. What a game. You could just see the team about to enter into a period of sustained success.

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

jack-nicholson-anger-the-shining.gif

I had a party to go to after that game. I reckon it was about an hour before I said a word to anyone. Devastated.

Honestly I don't think it was even that. I don't think we played particularly badly that day. Geelong just played the most complete game of football I've ever seen.

I remember watching from the stands and thinking it looked like they had 30 players on the field, such was their ability to seemingly outnumber us all over the ground.

The very worst of us from that game was no defensive running and half hearted tackles broken at will. There's no way we lose by that much even with Geelong at their best if we at least took care of the defensive basics.

I sat on an overnight coach trip full of Port supporters coming back to Adelaide. It was like we were returning from the Somme.

To top off the perfect weekend I had a bout of food poisoning from a meal that night and spent my trip back curled up in a foetal ball on the back seat of a car.

Took me a week to get over the food poisoning. I don't think I will ever get over the game. The only small mercy is the whole match is a blur. I've done a reasonable job of blocking it out.:huh:

The whole world was against us that day, everyone except us wanted Geelong to win.

We had half a team of experienced players from the 2004 GF and half a team of younger players who had only recently become established AFL players. In almost all cases, the former stood up and the latter stood down. The reason it seemed like we were playing against 30 was that half our team were deer in the headlights and played like they'd never even seen a football before.

The thing that upsets me about 07 was the silence and lack of accountability ever since. Everyone just carried on like nothing had happened and then the rot set in. Imo Choco should have gone straight away and anyone that contributed to the split in the playing group, namely Shaun and Chad.

I had a party to go to after that game. I reckon it was about an hour before I said a word to anyone. Devastated.

I passed a random in the doorway of the pub I was watching at. We were in matching New Era caps.

We did that upwards nod thing and I said “we’ll be right”.

Ron Howard: “They weren’t”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing that upsets me about 07 was the silence and lack of accountability ever since. Everyone just carried on like nothing had happened and then the rot set in. Imo Choco should have gone straight away and anyone that contributed to the split in the playing group, namely Shaun and Chad.

Agreed, Choco tried to shrug off that gf debacle like it was just another loss, it was never addressed properly, and it was something like 18 months later that he finally admitted a lot of the playing group were still struggling mentally.
That game basically ended his AFL coaching career, but the hierarchy of the time unfortunately took the better part of 5 more seasons to get the message. :'(

I think we are still broken because of that 2007 GF.
Prior to that game I was convinced we would back it up and win multiple premierships every few years.

Everything since then has been a mediocre blur that I want to forget.

The only way we can fix it is to put our name on a cup.

Speaking of games that turned to crap ...

That's just reminded me how they assigned letters to the other teams to put up in the corner of the score board so you could see what was happening at other games.
Also remember putting a dash next to a player's name for a goal and a dot for a point in the budget
How did we ever survive without smartphones

I sat on an overnight coach trip full of Port supporters coming back to Adelaide. It was like we were returning from the Somme.

Same. First and last footy bus trip ever. Never again.

I fear Port are a third way through a Richmond like dynasty of failure that began in 83 and lasted till 2017.

hopefully I'm still alive to see the re-emergence and still enjoying footy in my 70s

Oh man, Dennis Cometti... loves the PB jumper so much has one hanging up in his shed... 😍

Oh man, Dennis Cometti... loves the PB jumper so much has one hanging up in his shed... 😍

1 million likes for you Jojay and 1 million for Dennis Cometti.

And Graham Cornes wonders why Port got Dennis to do the promos and not Bruce. Very self evident in that clip.

Listening to Dennis again clip just makes me lament the state of current day AFL commentary.

Huddo is pretty good. I don't mind Dunstall. They could fire the rest of them into the sun and nothing of value would be lost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back