Over 50's Clique - Nostalgia, Memorabilia, Reflection and Opinion for the Mature Lion.

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw the DK’s on consecutive nights. First Monash Uni and then The Seaview Ballroom. They were great.

There was a difference between punk and thrash metal, which I think Depression were closer to. Most Melbourne ‘Hardcore’ bands tended to be more like Suicidal Tendencies, Minor Threat and Black Flag, than they were like old school punk. The whole west coast thrash sound really caught on.

I saw The Clash, The Ramones, The Damned, Public Image Ltd and The Buzzcocks live and to be honest, I much preferred the “old school punk” to the thrash-metal-punk variant.

Last edited:

I saw the DK’s on consecutive nights. First Monash Uni and then The Seaview Ballroom. They were great.

There was a difference between punk and thrash metal, which I think Depression were closer to. Most Melbourne ‘Hardcore’ bands tended to be more like Suicidal Tendencies, Minor Threat and Black Flag, than they were like old school punk. The whole west coast thrash sound really caught on.
The only concert I ever saw at Monash was again being brought in when I was just a teenager to see Scatterbrain when they brought out 'Here Comes Trouble'.

Good concert too.

One other band that you may recall, although from down Geelong way, were Bored. They were pretty cool too.

The only concert I ever saw at Monash was again being brought in when I was just a teenager to see Scatterbrain when they brought out 'Here Comes Trouble'.

Good concert too.

One other band that you may recall, although from down Geelong way, were Bored. They were pretty cool too.
Bored were great.

I still rate this as my favourite show. I was so excited to be seeing THE CLASH! I had this bootleg on two cassettes that I bought at Greville Records a couple of days after the gig. Sound quality is poor, but listening on the night the band sounded great.
Funnily enough, I got a bootleg cassette of Janes Addiction's concert from Greville St. Records a few days after their concert at Metro's in Melbourne in the 90's that my uncle took me to. Janes Addiction also jammed at his recording studio for some reason too.

Amazing how much has changed since then.

Funnily enough, I got a bootleg cassette of Janes Addiction's concert from Greville St. Records a few days after their concert at Metro's in Melbourne in the 90's that my uncle took me to. Janes Addiction also jammed at his recording studio for some reason too.

Amazing how much has changed since then.
Another great band.

One of my all time favourite songs (there are a lot though) is 'Three Days'; just an epic song.
My three favourite Jane’s Addiction songs are, in Brownlow Vote order.

1 Vote - Been Caught Stealing

2 Votes - Stop

3 Votes - Mountain Song

3KZ is Football - not sure if you were into them, but are you going to see Helmet at the Croxton on 2 May 2020? The concert is marketed something like '30 years, 30 songs, no support act.'

Helmet are another one of my favourite bands.

It clashes with our Geelong game down at Kardinia Park, but it will be one of the few times that the Lions will lose out, particularly given the set Helmet will play. If the game was in Melbourne, may be a different story (it also may be taken out of our hands anyway), but I don't think I've missed a Lions game down at KP, but the last few times have been horrible in how little you see that I've decided to can it this year.

3KZ is Football - not sure if you were into them, but are you going to see Helmet at the Croxton on 2 May 2020? The concert is marketed something like '30 years, 30 songs, no support act.'

Helmet are another one of my favourite bands.

It clashes with our Geelong game down at Kardinia Park, but it will be one of the few times that the Lions will lose out, particularly given the set Helmet will play. If the game was in Melbourne, may be a different story (it also may be taken out of our hands anyway), but I don't think I've missed a Lions game down at KP, but the last few times have been horrible in how little you see that I've decided to can it this year.
I am going to The Croxton to see Died Pretty, but not Helmet. To be honest I would not know one of their songs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Died Pretty and The Dead Kennedy's I've heard of but couldn't name a song of theirs but never heard of Depression or Bored.
There’s plenty on YouTube for you to check out then. 👍

This is more my style, I drove solo to Perth and back from Brisbane in my brand new yellow Chrysler Sigma circa 1979, listened to the album Tea for the Tillerman all the way there and back.

Hope all are doing as well as possible in these times. I had a lot of plans this year and one was to head back to Victoria to spend more time with my parents and friends. The other main reason was to head to Brunswick St and attend a Fitzroy game. Hopefully dragging a few of you guys along! Followed by a visit to some of the local pubs where I could regale people and listen to everyone's memories of Melbourne past and football.

For those who want to hear more about Fitzroy and what football means to people then I suggest listening to this...

Everything fine in our household so far, but with this deadhead meatworks here in melbourne where the bosses knew a few weeks ago that they had a positive tested employee and they kept the place going on as usual, so they now have a massive cluster (49 last I heard) that is now spreading via outside connections...........things could fire up again and get real nasty.

Have also read where scientists are noticing in some parts of the world the virus is getting much stronger and deadlier.

This bloody thing is not going away any time soon unfortunately........and all because we were going so well, people became complacent and let their guards down. As a result I can see us locked away for quite some time yet.

Hope they are still doing the pensioner run at the supermarkets, might need to do some hoarding again!;)

edit: The outside connection who tested positive is the partner of a meat worker. She works in a Nursing Home.......and so it really begins. Headline in the HUN is calling it Daniels "Ruby Princess"

....god help us!

Last edited:
This bloody thing is not going away any time soon unfortunately........and all because we were going so well, people became complacent and let their guards down. As a result I can see us locked away for quite some time yet.

Hope they are still doing the pensioner run at the supermarkets, might need to do some hoarding again!;)

My fiance and I relocated ourselves down to Portsea at the end of February to work from home and to isolate as best as we could and I must admit, you hit the nail on the head in regards to complacency. When walking the dog, you regularly see friends and groups of people going for walks (it is evident they aren't living together) and even walking past certain houses and knowing what cars are parked in driveways etc., you are now seeing other cars parked out the front or up their driveways and it is obvious people are going over to others houses or even all of their kids coming down on weekends with their partners and friends. On Saturday morning in Sorrento, I was genuinely horrified how many cars were parked in and around the shops.

People have obviously got sick and tired of isolating themselves and you are right, I am expecting a big second wave because people just refuse to do the right thing. We haven't caught up with any family / friends for close to 3 months other than having dinner parties / drinks with them on Zoom, which is working quite well.

FWIW, getting toilet paper is no problem nowadays, thank god.

The roads are busier too, shops nearly back to normal and hardly seeing anyone with masks and gloves now.

tbh the lockdown hasn't affected us much, we lead a very quite life these days anyway.....but I have been going to Ballarat every 3 wks to see mum in her Aged care place. It has had very good restrictions in place but not a total lockdown which has been brilliant. I don't believe in total lockdowns unless there is something happening there........and with the seperate houses and kitchens (8 residents/2carers each) but all under the one humungous roof, its a great system for controlling infections.....I love the place, I've told the family if I lose the plot I want to go there. Couldn't be happier, and mum loves it.

I just hope with all my being that it stays that way.

.. Mum and I have followed the rules to the letter as have others. I take stuff for her own personal needs/wants etc. They have a lovely big garden with gazebos which we go and sit in. The restrictions have been done thoroughly and sensibly imo. Mum would panic if she couldn't see me. One of the residents, a lovely, lively old chappie was nearly in tears last time I was there as he can only talk to his daughter and grandkids over the fence due to the kids being under 16 and no-one to care for them. They are not allowed in.

Emotional wellbeing is just as important as physical I've learnt since mum has been there.

...oh and we have plenty of loo paper. Will check through the cupboads and re-stock a bit more food I think. Won't hurt, and it will get eaten eventually anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back