Fitzroy Books

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, a lifelong East Perth and Fitzroy supporter.
Equally passionate about the Royals and the Roys.
Fitzroy: For the Love of the Jumper is a superb book.

Pete, I received my copy of your book last week and am enjoying a random read. Ranking a selection of victories into any sort of order is never an easy task so I appreciate your efforts. Of my initial reading to date I'll highlight two matches:
- Round 5, 1989 v Geelong. Due to my age (I was seventeen in 1996) I hadn't actually attended many of the 100 victories listed. Nonetheless this was one and a memorable one at that. Mum (a Geelong supporter) and I were sitting at the back of the Fitzroy cheersquad in perfect position to see the controversial Gavin Excell point which was awarded a goal. Mum has never forgotten the Fitzroy supporters that day and the repeated chorus of 'BS, BS, BS....'. I love that you referenced the controversy.
- Round 21, 1993 v Brisbane. I appreciate that this victory principally made your list because of the triple point margin. Though with hindsight this win really irks me. Brisbane were beyond terrible that day and their best player - Buckley - was about to leave the club. So why did Lynch decide to leave for Brisbane. Obviously the answer is money. However I'm sure the player exodus at the end of 1993 wouldn't have transpired if Lynch had of stayed. And that 1993 side with some decent drafting and another pre-season would have been finals bound in 1994.

Roysforever, many thanks for buying a copy of my book and, more importantly, I'm glad that you're enjoying it.
Yes, it took me a while to whittle down almost 200 candidates for selection and just as long to rank the 100 inclusions.
You're correct that the main reason for me including the late-season 1993 victory over the Bears (and also the 1906 win over Melbourne) was because it was one of only nine century-margin victories.
Plus I wanted to include at least one win over each of our 16 VFL/AFL opponents and couldn't find an alternative Brisbane contender.
Pure speculation but had Lynch already committed to the Bears, the Brisbane hierarchy might well have been silently applauding every one of his seven goals (remiss of me to mention in the book that his 7.4 outscored the Bears' 5.13).
I was in England for much of the 1989 season, but was ecstatic when I found out about Kevin Caton's late poster that gave us a one-point victory over Geelong.
When I was next in London, I went to Australia House where there was a range of Aussie newspapers and read every possible match report describing that epic victory.
As you would recall from the book, I was irked by Ron Alexander saying the Cats lost that game rather than the Lions won it.
Your Mum and you were certainly in the right spot for the Exell non-goal and it was good that Rohan Connolly noted it in his match report.

I didn't initially pick up on the inclusion of a win against every opposition element. Though it makes good sense when inevitable discussion arises regarding the best triumph against respective clubs. The only potential alternative regarding Brisbane I see could have been Round 3, 1987 which featured the Bears first home game, record crowd and twin seven goal efforts from Barwick and Osborne. Though as per the previous post I appreciate the difficulties in selecting from a subjective list.

Is there any chance you'd be prepared to share your 101-200 listing?

Carlton and Ftzroy opened the 1982 season with a draw after we unfurled the premiership flag.. Maybe guess the draw not in this book but it was one of Fitzroy games I never forget as spoiling our day. I think the next year I started attending Carlton game in person. Fitzroy were one of the rare teams to beat us at home.
They not only won, but slaughtered us by 10 goal and can will remember Micky Conlan was on fire down other end I was watching with 5 goals.
In a very interesting season for top five teams, I felt anyone could have won it with right form in September. Probably should have been a Fitzroy flag in 1983. We had suspensions and injuries at wrong time. Certainly felt Hawks had things go their way in finals series. Wish it had been Ftizroy that got that one.

I didn't initially pick up on the inclusion of a win against every opposition element. Though it makes good sense when inevitable discussion arises regarding the best triumph against respective clubs. The only potential alternative regarding Brisbane I see could have been Round 3, 1987 which featured the Bears first home game, record crowd and twin seven goal efforts from Barwick and Osborne. Though as per the previous post I appreciate the difficulties in selecting from a subjective list.

Is there any chance you'd be prepared to share your 101-200 listing?

Certainly, Roysforever, I can email you Wins 101-200 (there may not quite be 200) in an Excel spreadsheet.
I haven't actually ranked them; instead, they're the victories that missed the metaphorical "cut".
I have some online Uni teaching and a reference to write tomorrow, but will touch base with you after that.
Yes, that Round 3, 1987, win over the Bears would've be worthy of inclusion.
Indeed, had I not decided that 100-point victories automatically got a guernsey (because we only had nine of them), Round 21, 1993, would not have been selected.
I also wanted to include at least one success against every opponent so that the book wasn't dominated by victories over the "old enemies".
Many would argue - and successfully so - that these weren't all necessarily great wins.
For example, I was captivated by Round 11, 1976, when we beat Essendon 16.14 (110) to 13.22 (100) at Waverley because the Bombers kicked 10.4 in Q2 & 1.6 in each of the three other quarters.
Similarly, Round 3, 1937, against Hawthorn appealed to me because Hawthorn kicked 9.5 in Q2, 0.5 in each of Q3 and Q4, and 0.0 in Q1.

Carlton and Ftzroy opened the 1982 season with a draw after we unfurled the premiership flag.. Maybe guess the draw not in this book but it was one of Fitzroy games I never forget as spoiling our day. I think the next year I started attending Carlton game in person. Fitzroy were one of the rare teams to beat us at home.
They not only won, but slaughtered us by 10 goal and can will remember Micky Conlan was on fire down other end I was watching with 5 goals.
In a very interesting season for top five teams, I felt anyone could have won it with right form in September. Probably should have been a Fitzroy flag in 1983. We had suspensions and injuries at wrong time. Certainly felt Hawks had things go their way in finals series. Wish it had been Ftizroy that got that one.

Fair point about the unfurling of the flag being spoiled, footyfan78, but that opening-round draw (though Fitzroy had lost to Richmond in a standalone game the week before) also ruined Lions fans' days because we were a point in front and Carlton scored (or forced) a controversial point virtually on the siren.
In the Intro to Fitzroy's Fabulous Century, I bemoaned the fact that the Fitzroy Fabulous Footy Flashbacks DVD included that 1982 drawn game against the Blues (along with the 1986 elimination final and the 1992 game against Collingwood when Paul Roos kicked the winner with 11sec to play) when surely there were televised victories (such as the 25-goal thumping of North Melbourne in 1983) that should've instead got the nod.
The Roys' 10-goal victory in 1983 that you attended was a definite inclusion in the Top 100.
Fitzroy's reward for emphatically thumping the back-to-back premiers was top spot on the VFL ladder for the first time in almost 25 years.

We were robbed that day. I was there and Greg Wells got the biggest charity free kick late in the game, which he converted into a point and the game ended in a draw. You be the judge.

We were robbed that day. I was there and Greg Wells got the biggest charity free kick late in the game, which he converted into a point and the game ended in a draw. You be the judge.

Where was the mark to Hunter that Coleman ended up kicking a point from?.... ha ha ha... you be the judge..

Last edited:
Just finished Russell Holmesbys book and quite enjoyed it. Does anyone know if it's still possible to get a copy of Dyson Hore-Lacys book from anywhere?
I believe it's been out of print for a long time. Happy to be proven wrong here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

During lockdown I've collected FitzroyPete's "Fitzroy's Fabulous Century", Russell Holmsby's "The Death of Fitzroy" and Adam Muyt's "Maroon and Blue" does anyone have any other Fitzroy themed reading recommendations?

During lockdown I've collected FitzroyPete's "Fitzroy's Fabulous Century", Russell Holmsby's "The Death of Fitzroy" and Adam Muyt's "Maroon and Blue" does anyone have any other Fitzroy themed reading recommendations?
Yes, my poem.

ODE TO NOEL MUGAVIN - Number 35

My trip to Warrnambool was made complete,
I saw Noel Mugavin crossing Banyan Street,
He was a Royboy whose boots weren’t fleet,
Unlike “The Flea” with skills replete,
He’d drop the ball and trip over his feet,
But my heart grew light and skipped a beat,
When I saw Noel Mugavin crossing Banyan Street.

Yes, my poem.

ODE TO NOEL MUGAVIN - Number 35

My trip to Warrnambool was made complete,
I saw Noel Mugavin crossing Banyan Street,
He was a Royboy whose boots weren’t fleet,
Unlike “The Flea” with skills replete,
He’d drop the ball and trip over his feet,
But my heart grew light and skipped a beat,
When I saw Noel Mugavin crossing Banyan Street.
I sent my poem to The Coodabeens and Champs has acknowledged receipt. I hope they give it a run.

The Death of the Fitzroy football club is a very good read but naturally sad. Provides decent opinions and facts about the slow decay of our beloved club. Really just confirms what we all knew - the AFL had one intention and weren't the least bit interested in helping. In fact they did everything in their powers to make sure we failed. Disgusts me that they couldn't have cared one iota for Fitzroy supporters. These days they will do anything to keep clubs alive.

That said I think in the end and many probably disagree with me the Brisbane option was the better choice. North would have chewed us up and spat us out in time.

Poor Mick Nunan really had no idea what he was getting himself into in 96 but it would have been interesting to see how he would have gone with a decent side.?

I have a copy of Russell Holmesby's book, royboys4eva, but haven't got around to reading it yet.
I agree with you about how poorly Fitzroy was treated given how the AFL reprieved other clubs on "death row".
I think the massive dollars the AFL generated from TV deals also helped the struggling clubs of the 2000s.
Speaking of Fitzroy books, Dyson Hore-Lacy's monumental work is obviously pretty scarce based on the eBay asking price.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the book "Kevin Murray - Heart of the Lion"? I'm a big collector of footy books and hate that I'm missing this with him being such a legend of the game

Following numerous of your recommendations, I recently contacted Dyson Hore-Lacy to see if he knew where I could get a copy of his book, Fitzroy, as I couldn’t track one down anywhere.

He, rather promptly, responded and sent me a copy for free.

After being away for a fortnight, I was pleased to discover a copy in my letterbox.

After starting it last night, I’m now about a quarter of the way through and cannot put it down.

I would strongly encourage him to re-publish this as it’s a story that needs to be readily told and made accessible. I was just seven when Fitzroy were forced to “merge” and future football supporters need to be aware of how your club was treated by the AFL.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Carn the Roys!, remiss of me not to thank you (and others) for buying a copy of my book two years ago and I hoped you enjoyed it.
For anybody else who may be interested, I have plenty of available copies (causing my house to slowly sink).
You can buy "Fitzroy's Fabulous Century" either by messaging me, on eBay or at www.fitzroypete.com.au.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back